visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Glue application

I'm sure everyone has their preferred way of applying very small spots of wood glue...here's mine...a plastic tooth pick. It has a very small tip which allows a small spot of glue to be applied to a tight/small space. I like it better than a wood tooth pick (which also works well) because the dried glue can be easily remove with a finger nail....just my two cents...I'd be interested to see other ways you all apply glue spots...someone might have an even better 'tool' than mine
TerryIMG_4694

Comments

• Hi Terry,

I simply use a wood toothpick. Easy to pinpoint. Cheap. Easy to find at a grocery store.
    My problem out here in Tucson is that the dry climate causes the wood glue drop I put on a piece of paper to skin over very quickly.

When using other types of glue I use a sewing needle.

Wood Glue Applicator

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • I use tooth picks myself but am not opposed to trying new tricks. Tried some of the micro applicators from Micromark. Didn't find them any better than toothpicks.

Fortunately glue does not dry out as fast in VA as in AZ.
  • I ran across this thread on Glue Application. I was a Middle School Shop Teacher. In college back in 1968 I had to take survey courses in several areas of Industrial Arts teaching. One of those areas was Printing. In that course we had to explore several different techniques of printing. One area was Gravure which is taking a plate and scratching a design in it and the applying ink to the plate and wiping the ink off then pressing the plate onto paper. The ink in the scratches transfers the ink to the paper. Paper money is made this way. We had to scratch a design into a piece of clear plastic about 1/16" thick as our printing plate.

All this to say I have these 2 tools left from those days. My wife complains that I save everything! This is a case where it has come in handy. They were bought at the local college art supply store. You can see they were 15 cents each back then. A lot of money for a college student with a limited beer budget! They are Crochet Hooks. They're about 5" long and made of steel. The shorter one I had to grind down to use to scratch deeper grooves into the plastic. The longer one is how they came. They had some sort of hook on the end which I ground off. The name on them is Susan Bates and they are a no. 14. There were different sizes. I did a Google search and found they are still available. Walmart sells a 6 pack of them for $7.33, but were out of stock on their website. I found the same thing on ebay for $7.99 with free shipping.

I use these tools extensively. They are GREAT glue applicators, and GREAT glue removers when the glue squeezes out the sides. They are easily cleaned and even if glue dries on them it scrapes off easily. I have used them with white glue, wood glue, ACC, Aieleens glue and Epoxy. Any glue I have used even when dry easily scrapes off them. Best 15 cents I have ever spent! Some of the most versatile tools I have.
    20181203_153915 Resize
    20181203_153934 Resize
  • I'm a toothpick guy myself for the application of glue, but I use dental instruments to remove the excess glue. Phil
  • That should work. Like a metal toothpick.