visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

HO Scale Brass & Iron Foundry Official Forum Build

Comments

• edited July 2018
    Great results....I’m thinkin’ you learned all these great techniques from Dr Grunge

Terry
  • Very nice , as i follow along i'm building O"Neills, batteling the dreaded wood fuzz . it takes alot of massaging to get rid of .They don"t call them craftsman kits for no reason . nice job Ken .
  • I love the selection of "close-up" photos that show your mastery of the various stripwood details; AND the fact that you include your thoughts on what "look" you're striving to attain, then add your thoughts on why certain nicks and rub-areas area are occuring in the areas chosen. The fact that you also planned ahead to build in the framing areas is fantastic! I'm sure that those accumulated talents are why you are often asked to work on "official builds". Your make a good teacher.
    I found that I went back and reread your "Dr. Grunge Advanced Wood Clinic" and gained an even greater appreciation for everything you have been sharing with us. It goes without saying but Brett has truly designed-in so many spots for us to enjoys these kits and develop our skills.
  • Wow Ken, simply amazing what you can do with HO Scale siding. Love the logical wear and damage.

Wood fuzz is an natural product of producing stripwood. After handing hundreds of thousands of pieces over the years from four different suppliers I can comfortably say "fuzz happens". It varies over the years in amount and size but hey, fuzz happens. So grain it, detail it, stain it, and enjoy the process!

Now, I believe a craftsman kit has less to do with the kit and more to do with the builder. Modelers who enjoy constructing something rather than unpacking a finished product are all craftsman...
  • For those who are new here Ken has affectionately earned the nickname "Dr. Grunge" for obvious reasons. He created a wonderful clinic here on the forum everyone should check out:

http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/index.php?p=/discussion/800/the-dr-grunge-advanced-wood-clinic/p1
  • Amazing attention to detail. Great start to an amazing kit. I love the little peaks at suds behind rotting boards. I also like that as weathered as it appears no one technique is overdone. Just perfect.
  • The walls are absolutely well done. The grunge is spot on! Truly fine scale modeling!
    Jim
  • Thanks much Brett and hope folks find or have found the wood clinic useful.

To give my take on the issue of the "fuzzies". As Brett suggests in the manual, after I do my initial graining of the stripwood I run each piece through my thump and forefinger while holding a piece of rather fine steel wool putting pressure mainly on the edges. This takes off virtually all the "fuzzies". I don't go overboard on the initial graining which I suspect is what causes most folks issues with the fuzzed wood. I do most of my detailing with a pointed awl and my #11 blade which of course creates no "fuzzies" at all. The board ends you see on my walls that are highly weathered/rootted are not created with the wire brush but rather the tools I mentioned. If you attempted to impart that much wear with just the wire brush you would have fuzzed wood all over the place. I will then go back over my completed wall with a magnifyer and fine forceps and pick off any offending splinters or fuzz. Most minor fuzz seen in a close up photo is virtually impossible to see otherwise.

I would also add, that Brett's stripwood has never given me issues with excessive fuzz, it's good stuff.
  • edited July 2018
    Michael, thanks for kind words and nice to hear from you down under...

Alan, hey man, thanks and I figured the close ups were a good way to illustrate things.

Jerry, they sure do...and thanks.

Robert, still not use to the word "patination" being used around here, but love it! thanks for your thoughts.

Terry, Dr. Grung?...that ole buffoon...pay him no never mind, maybe he'll go away...

Hey Sky......., Nice to hear you are working up O'Neills, loved that build! Hope the info. on the "fuzzies" helps and thanks for the note.

BillR, you are making things all worth while my friend! what a very nice note, made my day.

Joel, thanks much and it certainly is an amazing kit. Look forward to seeing you again this year.
  • Hey Jim, glad you like the walls and was hoping you'd wade in here. Thanks as always for your comments and comradery.
  • I said it once before...and I'll say it again....your weathered wood looks more like real wood....than real wood......really nice work.....
  • Thanks Muddy, cracked me up!...
  • Ken, I don't know if anyone else does this but I often convert this entire "forum discussion" into word documents so I can highlight points and make notes for myself, along with the manual. MuddyCreekRR just offered a great compliment, but also made an interesting point about the weathered wood in the pattern shop. We know the building had a previous life as a "Blacksmith Shop" and that your goal was to build "an older structure showing its age gracefully". Now I'm looking forward to see any weathering variations used for the attached repair shop which may have a different history, but could be affected by the adjacent tempering shop. Time will tell
  • Bill....same with me... I print out a hard copy...”paperless office”....ha, not for this old-timer
    Terry
  • Hey, Terry; As one Nam vet to another I'd also confess to saving some of the jpg photos so I can enlarge them on the monitor....
    Bill
  • I like the way you think Bill. That very concept is part of my planning strategy and why SierraWest kits are the premier craftsman kit on the market. Brett doesn't just produce a kit, he creates an entire back story. I'm way younger than all of you...but I am a bit old school as well and like hard copy of this kind of stuff.

Thanks much Ed for the kind words there...

Next up will be the wonderfully detailed windows and doors for the Pattern Shop.
  • edited July 2018
    Quick update...I applied the very faded and worn "BLACKSMITH" stencil on the rear wall. I wanted a barely legible hand painted sign to match the age of the structure. This building is now a Pattern Shop so the sign has long aged away...

P7020011
  • Well Done! It has made history come to life.
  • Thanks Bill...in certain light angles it's not quite so faded but pretty close...
  • Soon after Brett announced this kit he posted a faded photo of a family foundry. It later disappeared from the website but I begin to wonder if there are any familiar lines in the kit buildings, even if foreshortened. My question is prompted by an interest in genealogy, 5 generations of plumbers in our midwest family, and the recent discovery of a glass negative of a machine shop/boilermaker in a southern branch. Look long enough and most folks can find interesting stories tied to railroads.
  • that really looks great.
  • edited July 2018
    Perfectly executed Ken, you stopped at just the right point to show and emphasize the story/history.

Karl.A
  • Spot on Ken. Just like Karl said. Well done.
  • Great stuff so far Ken. The wall looks great.

-Steve
  • The walls look old Ken, real old!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
  • His walls of course, Ken is one those youngsters on the forum, not like us old farts like you Ed and myself.
  • edited July 2018
    Thanks Kevin...

Appreciate that Ed.

You are so right Karl, it was hard to decide where to weather the thing and still have it "there" enough to make out I'm happy with the level and glad to hear you agree. Not something you want to try and go back and add more to...yikes!

Ditto with you Robert, tickled you also agree on the level of weathering for the same point I made above.

Hey Steve, long time...I'm still stewing about your wonderful diorama at the last EXPO. I'll be protesting in my own way...Thanks for the thumbs up on the walls.

Now don't forget Stephen, I'm also going for grungy! Thanks for the compliment, old is good.
  • Amendment: old in modeling is good, the jury's still out on the rest of it...
  • I agree with you Mike, "old in modeling" especially the way Ken is doing it here is great...
    the other kinda old, not so much..

Karl.A
  • love the attention you give to the basics, wood, knots, rot, weathering, a great fun! Keep it coming, the summer has just got started and so has this build.