visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Why did I start a Forum?

You might ask why this forum was started? I ask myself that very question but... This forum is a place for SierraWest customers to share and learn from one another. We share similar modeling goals and ideas, I just thought it would be great to have a place we can interact. I have always wanted to have a formal online university where the best meet and teach one-another the techniques and tools of the trade. I believe a forum is a the best way way to achieve this goal. But... you must participate. Post your builds and ask for help. Karl Allison is our moderator and no one is better suited to handle the job. Karl and I will be around here much of the time and I have lined up some of the best modelers in our wonderful hobby to be guest moderators as well. So join, share, weather, cut, glue, and paint!

Comments

• Brett

I think it's a great idea. And hopefully it will lead to better modeling and technique's.

Jerry
  • Thanks Jerry.... I have some great ideas and hope Karl and I can implement them.
  • Brett, congratulations and good luck with your new forum.
    You must be bored or have gone completely crazy to start a forum.
    Hey, where are the smiley's?
  • edited May 2011
    Thanks Rick... not crazy (and wishing I had even ten minutes to be bored) - just wanting to communicate more efficiently with my customers. Oh yeah, Karl and I banned smiley's.... Thanks for joining!
  • Hey Brett

This seems a good way to communicate with guys who are interested in your kits. Or anything there building.
    Looks like there won't be a 1000 looks good. But more to how you doing and how did you do it.

Just hope this works out and we all have fun doing what we like most, just modeling.

Jerry
  • right on target jerry...
  • So you banned smileys, eh? :^/
  • Well, more accurately the non inclusion of emoticons Mike,

Obviously we can all still type the text versions, like back in the old days of "net communucation" before the graphical versions were introduced.

Hopefully the site will be more focused on modeling and constructive posts rather than "smiley faces" and cute graphics.

Karl.A
  • I really love the whole idea of this forum. getting too chat with Brett on a dialy basis and hear what is new and how he goes about doing things is super cool.

I would love to see some pictures of where all the magic happens.
  • the casting and sorting room is located in the third spire on the right. That's Karl there in the center pointing at Cindy.... Just watch out for Malificient...
  • Well Wes, in honesty I did manage to get a couple of 'snaps' when I was lucky enough to be there earlier this year.

Here is a picture of Kevin O, tucked away in the casting room, working his magic and painting castings for the Blue Sky pilot model.....

Next is a picture of Brett putting together the tractor for the Blue Sky pilot build....

I'd post a pic of me there 'working' but Brett seems to have removed them from the home page.....

Karl.A
  • Here is the pic of Karl working diligently on BlueSky...

• I think Brett set me up at the end of his desk just so that he could keep a close eye on me and make sure I didnt waste too much 'production' time 'chit-chatting' with KKO........
  • edited June 2018
    Wow...I must have stumbled upon Mr. Peabody's 'Way Back Machine' (anyone else remember Mr. Peabody?) 'cuz here I am at day One....what a wealth of knowledge to be found on the pages that are buried in here...doesn't matter the scale or topic there's a 'ton' of great information to be gleaned from previous posters....Thanks Brett, Karl, any other moderators and all who have contributed

Terry
  • It has been a breath of fresh air to have people willing to share their thoughts and suggestions as posts are made. It does take a bit of effort to take in process photos and post, but the feedback is really welcome.

Frankly, as I've looked at other information available online, SWSM has the most complete online references and support I've found. Thanks to all who contribute. (I'll be back as soon as I get the interim work on my layout done.) Currently working on the terrain and grade leading into Quincy's Salvage on the L, NP, & W RR.

Thanks Brett for all you do.

Mark
  • edited June 2018
    Thank you so much for your comments Terry and Mark,
    for reviving this thread, and of course for all your other ongoing contributions to the forum which are much appreciated.

As Brett said in his initial post of this thread way back in 2011 when we started this Forum, it's all about 'participation'.
    Plus, we're all here for the same reasons he described in his original statement.

There is indeed some wonderful modelling featured on these forum pages, and there is obviously much more to come in the future.

Thank you all.

Karl.A

• What's the point of a forum if there is no participation.? You are so right Karl, we're all here to learn from each other. I think it's a great initiative. Whatever scale you practice.
    Thanks
  • frankly, i think i'd be lost without this forum. i come here every day for tips, tricks, ed's humor, brett's wisdom, and just to check out what everyone's working on. this is a fantastic forum.
    i realize this thread's been dormant since '18, but i don't really care...... :)
  • Well done Kevin to pick up and dust off this thread! I agree completely with your comments regarding the critical importance of this forum. Modeling, for the most part, is a very solitary hobby. This forum connects us and allows us to model together as if we are in one big workshop. My comment regarding Bryan's suggestion on my Scotia build is a perfect example. As a result of this forum and being connected, my modeling has improved and will continue to improve AND my enjoyment of modeling is bolstered here with this motley crew of rag tag chalk slingers...on with graining and staining!...Ken
  • Learned plenty from all the modeling posts presented on this forum. I especially like the very "civil" atmosphere and comments posted here. This forum has been about the only one I check daily and sometimes throughout the day. Thanks to everyone who posts here and keeps us moving ahead in our modeling skills.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • i have to say this: i've been a member at rr-lines for a really long time. i never really log out of it. yesterday i got logged out for some reason, so i tried to log back in and got a google message that my password had been compromised at the site and i need to change it. that's not possible unless you're logged in, so i don't know at this point, if I'll ever get back on. the long and short of it is, the software they use is archaic and the mods never return your email. the folks on that forum are for the most part a bunch of good guys, but the site itself is pretty pathetic.
  • being a new member to the forum I have to say that the comments that I received back on my first build (Dueling Shacks) were positive. I have never seen a negative comment regarding another member built. Brett construction manual is the best I have every seen.

TomK
  • I've read more than posted. but the amount of learning I gained is incredible. The masters are truly here and anxious to share their knowledge and encourage the rest of us. Kudos to all.
  • Thanks for reminding me about this thread Kevin... but my wisdom? More like floundering.

Can't believe it's been ten years for the mighty little SW Forum. Been an amazing amount of great modeling here over the years. Really miss the folks who have passed away or moved on... sigh

I am quite grateful for all of your wonderful contributions, I truly appreciate the time and effort it takes to document and post. THANK YOU! You have no idea the number of folks I hear from weekly who enjoy and learn from our forum!