visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Prog Rules

Yes, we are speaking of all those fabulous golden 70' ties prog bands and especially The Mighty Mellotron. Man I love this tank of an instrument.
When you have had all the crescendos , the bombast at its peek, then the Mellotron comes in and gives you shivers down your spine.
Don't forget Kansas.!!! And of course all of the newer prog bands
For the prog lovers, check this website.. http://www.progarchives.com . But once you've started, be heeded, addiction may occur.

Comments

• Warned you Ed !! No, I just wanted to put this subject in it's right discussion. And that's not The Foundry...

I love Overnite Sensation and Apostrophy by Zappa. Grew up with those two. Check out The Enid. An English band ( started in the mid 70' ies) that makes very symphonic loaded, classically inspired music. First albums are the best. Got to stop, you got me started, gotta go to work again. ( and listen to the new Spocks Beard )
  • i'm just wondering if nektar and chilliwack are prog? anybody?
  • edited May 2018
    Geez...I had to do a Google search to know what a Prog band is ;-))...I guess ABBA doesn't qualify ;-((
    Terry
  • No, but that doen't mean Abba didn't make some good catchy songs. And yes, Nectar, the German band is, was 70 ties psychedelic/space rock prog. Like so many, Floyd inspired.... Canadians Chilliwack ( name of their hometown in British Columbia ) more or less as they changed style over the years. Check Progarchives for the complete story.
  • Mike Pinder the Moody Blues!!!

Jerry
  • Jerry said:

Mike Pinder the Moody Blues!!!

Jerry

The first unit produced was the Mellotron Mark-I, an elegant piece of cabinetry, with red mahogany veneer and a highly polished finish. Approximately 55 were produced from 1962-63. Even the selector buttons had a mother-of-pearl appearance. Design improvements yielded the Mark-II, which was produced from 1964-67. About 250 were made: almost all Mark-I’s were upgraded to Mark-II specs. It was during this era that Mike Pinder entered the Mellotron picture, and worked at the factory for 18 months. Les Bradley had been Mike’s employer, and Mike himself had some innovative ideas.
  • We've got an expert in da house ! Thanks Jerry
  • Indeed some tasty blues rock. And Bonamassa is on the ipod as is John Hiatt...
  • Images and Words in my top ten of all times... I've seen them 5 times. Petrucci is a true guitar wizard. As is Tony Macalpine. Another guitar favorite of mine.
  • close to the edge is one of my all time favorite records. i used to be a huge yes fan.
  • Round by the corner....so was I . Absolute favorite Yes track : Awaken, from the Going for the one album !! with the church organ..Chills. After that, just downwards..
  • Oh, and please don't forget RUSH !
  • Tony is a great player but he got great practicing Yngwie licks. So did most of the great players from that era. Yngwie invented the style those guys all ended up perfecting and he took guitar playing to a whole new level. Every modern guitarist who has a clean fast alternate picking technique or sweep picked arpeggios learned it in some capacity from Yngwie.
  • And on his turn, Yngwie listened very well to Bach and Paganini. So.... As did all those guitarists from that period. Marty Friedmann , Jason Becker, Vinnie Moore, Gregg Howe, and so on... I just try to enjoy the music, wherever its origins come from. How many prog bands did not listen to Gabriel era Genesis, even to this day, countless. That doesn't mean some super music is composed. But agree, first is first. Must go now, the new Spocks Beard is waiting... Once again, check Progarchives.com

Soon a new build !!! :smiley:
  • "Shit from Shinola" The Lynyrd Skynyrd ..... I know my lyrics !! :wink: ( great band btw way )
  • all this bantering of music's whos-who aged me, I grew up, followed and tried to copy many of their lics, I must confess tho, I played to have something to sing to, i was the nut in the front, a vocalist for Prog, blues and alternative rock yep one of those cover bands in the bars for most of my life, oh how
    i miss the free drinks the ladies sent my way night after night, one of the pitfalls to getting old, can't belt out songs in the bars .. at least I can still play with my trains. none of us did it like Rod Stewart now that cat had a great plan, music and trains at the same time.
  • "you're such a stupid fish, floppin' on the sands of time,
    looking for the wave you missed,
    i could see it in your eyes.
  • and this is how it felt this morning after playing an afternoon gig in blazing heat....
    we are the band
  • you old coot! you just keep on rockin'...
  • I read it Ed. Seen Tull several times when Ian's voice was still ok. The music stays super. Favorites: Thick as a Brick, Passion play, Minstrel in the Gallery, Heavy Horses. ( have them all...)
  • i saw the passion play tour 3 times in the round and it was awesome.
    i went to watch my son's band open for mungion last night at a place called durty [sic] nellie's in palatine. i think you prog fans would really like mungion. 4-piece band with four exemplary musicians. the guitar player is especially good. they're like a cross between phish and frank zappa. very good show.
  • please share?
  • ignoring our pleas for pictures shalt not endear thee to us.....
    caution my friend.
  • Looking forward to pix of the Engine House
    Terry
  • Was in a train store in Ft Meyers yesterday and the had a sweet little ON30 Shay... I really like the Shay,Climax, Porter, etc engines
    Terry
  • I love SK. Love the new album too cause I think St. V can't go wrong. Definitely gonna miss J Weiss tho...
  • i echo ed's sentiment. i was a big fan of john prine going back to his days as a letter carrier in maywood illinois. his wit and abilty to put it to music was incredible.
    i was never fortunate enough to meet him, but i did enjoy covering a half dozen of his songs. whenever we did angel from montgomery we got a huge hand from all of the closet john prine fans.
  • Pleased to meet you, hope you guessed my name...(ooh ooh)
  • omg i'm laughin' my ass off.....