visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Hello from a fellow scratch builder/kit collector

Hey All,
Some of you might know me from the M forum. I have recently acquired two of Brett's great kits (Shelby Marine, and the signature edition of The Twin Mills. I have been building for just two years now. I have been collecting craftsman kits for about the same amount of time. I currently have 45 FSM, 18 SRMW, 2 Sierra West, and 6 FOS kits in my collection. I am always on the look out for other Limited edition kits to add to my ever growing collection. I decided to join up here to get some great tips/tricks, and to view some great models.

Loren...

Comments

• Hi Loren, welcome. Glad you're here. Sounds like you have a wonderful passion!
  • Brett, Thanks for the welcome. I do not know if I would call it passion, or addiction at this point. Maybe one day I will actually build a kit that I buy.
  • Loren...welcome aboard...I 'know' you from the Modelers Forum....there's much talent here that helps me and others with our modeling

Terry
  • edited April 2018
    Gald to see you checking in here Loren. The only problem I see with your "addiction" is in the statistics of the kits you have acquired!...lol. I established a goal some time ago to acquire every HO/HOn3 SierraWest Scale Models kit produced which I have now done! Furthermore, I am on a quest to BUILD all those kits begining with Brett's first and latest and prgressing along with at least two kit builds a year (ie next oldest and the current release and so on). Once you experience the thrill of building on of Brett's kits you won't settle for seeing them sitting on a shelf! The shelf collection becomes a motivation to build.... I would advise picking up every SierraWest Scale Models kit that is released as they quickly become hard to find once the production runs are exhausted...I had a heck of a time finding a few choice kits!
  • KKarns,
    if only I had a $Million, I would have everyone. as you can tell it started out with having every FSM, which than grew to South river, and so on........in the next couple of years I am going to try to get the FSM finished along with the South river. I have not done too bad for only 2 years.
  • edited April 2018
    Ken...I couldn't agree more with you about Brett's kits... but I can't bring myself to pay the secondary market price....my building goal is not as aggressive as yours...I'm only able to 'knock out' one a year.....my two boys will end up with all my un-built kits at 'some point in time' as they're model builders as well but like me for so many years, life is 'getting in the way' for them to build just now

Terry
  • Hey All,
    Some of you might know me from the M forum. I have recently acquired two of Brett's great kits (Shelby Marine, and the signature edition of The Twin Mills. I have been building for just two years now. I have been collecting craftsman kits for about the same amount of time. I currently have 45 FSM, 18 SRMW, 2 Sierra West, and 6 FOS kits in my collection. I am always on the look out for other Limited edition kits to add to my ever growing collection. I decided to join up here to get some great tips/tricks, and to view some great models.

Loren...

Hi Loren - (Gee, I miss the "9 fingers" moniker from the other Forum :-)). Sounds like we have a similar disease. I am pretty sure it is an addiction. I just love realistic structures and scenes that have character and detail and interest. With my recent discovery of Sierra West, my condition is only worsening. I expect I will be getting at least a couple of SW kits this year.

I have built maybe half a dozen or so of my collection and am trying to commit to consistently dedicating significant time to model building going forward. If one does the math on the number of kits one has along with some numbers of life expectancy, you soon figure out that building a kit or two a year is just going to lead to a significant estate sale some day.

I remember the first time I visited George Sellios and asked him how long it took him to build one of his larger kits. He told me about one week (!) I'll never be that fast -- and don't want to be (as Brett has said elsewhere on the site, it isn't about speed, it's about quality and enjoyment). But, a kit every ten years or so is definitely the wrong number.

Cheers,
    Vince
  • edited April 2018
    Welcome to the forum Loren... great to have you here with us
    You already have two of probably the most iconic classic SW kits... time to get the rest !!
    Once you start building Bretts kits you will understand the difference. Grab one and jump into it, post often, we look forward to following along with you.

Karl.A
  • Welcome to the forum Loren!
  • Terry, Vince, Karl, Steve, Ed Thanks for the Welcome
  • Welcome to the forum, Loren, I too, have yet to introduce myself to posting some of my completed structures, as this will be my goal to do asap.

Rich
  • edited April 2018
    Yes, welcome aboard Loren. I have the same affliction. I was collecting and building the FSM kits of which I have some 30 or so, then I had the ageing problem of the eyes not wanting to cooperate with the hands and the hands wanting to do their own thing. I then switched up to On30 and about the same time, I found SWSM. I now have a decent collection of Bretts kits including the sawmill and O'Neills in O scale and the Shipyard in HO. I'm very slow at building and have a tendency to switch from structures to kitbashing locos. At the moment, it's about to change back to structures and finish off the SWSM kits after converting 2 Forneys to 2-4-0 configuration and building a three truck Shay and a three truck Climax.
  • Hey Everyone. I am new here. I have been lucky to find some of the kits. I want to find one of the log trains Backwoods or logging train. Eureka Springs Engine, BlueSky, and ES Boiler House. It will take me awhile, but I am committed and that's half the battle LOL
    I have waited for years to build my idea of a logging site in Pacific NW with a few Shays and donkey engines. I live in the Willamette Valley on the edge of the Cascades. Glad I found this group. I think I will feel at home here.
  • edited April 2018
    Welcome aboard, sulaw...I hope you enjoy the ride

Terry
  • sulaw89 said:

Hey Everyone. I am new here. I have been lucky to find some of the kits. I want to find one of the log trains Backwoods or logging train. Eureka Springs Engine, BlueSky, and ES Boiler House. It will take me awhile, but I am committed and that's half the battle LOL
    I have waited for years to build my idea of a logging site in Pacific NW with a few Shays and donkey engines. I live in the Willamette Valley on the edge of the Cascades. Glad I found this group. I think I will feel at home here.

Welcome Home Sulaw89....
  • Welcome to the forum Sulaw.
    We look forward to your participation.

Karl. A
  • sulaw89 said:

sulaw said :Hey Everyone. I am new here. Glad I found this group. I think I will feel at home here.

You will for sure. Be welcome.

Robert.G

• Great to see you here sulaw89!
  • Welcome aboard.

Bryan
  • edited April 2018
    Nice having you here sulaw, beautiful country out your way. Look forward to hearing from you.
  • Welcome Sulaw no better place to learn and share techniques