visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Chicago Newb

Hi everyone - I am Vince.

Like many, I suppose, I started playing with trains as a baby (wife would probably say that's still true) and then started modeling in HO in grade school. On again, off again for....um....let's say decades...until now where I have been committed to regularly progressing my layout. I model the Illinois Central from Chicago to Kankakee. Eighties-nineties-ish era - the IC "Death Star" logo. My interests are, highest first, beautiful models (talking buildings here), operations, and prototype fidelity (which you might have guessed from my "eighties-nineties-ish" comment). Interestingly, many of my friends swing the other way - ops first, shoe boxes and magic markers for scenery. I'm exaggerating, of course. Mostly.

I have only recently discovered Sierra West. I can't offer anything that hasn't already been said - the modeling I have seen here is crazy good. The SW kits look fantastic. Jaw-dropping interior detail. Because I'm modeling a somewhat modern time, I think many of the SW designs are probably a little hard to justify -- even for me (and I'm happy to run 40' box cars), but some should fit well. There are a lot of old-fashioned, small towns along the IC main. Flexibility there. So, I am anxious to jump in. I've been watching the videos already and have spent [too] much time poring over the discussion groups. I've signed up for reserving a "foundry" kit even though I don't know what that means. I assume it's a Good Thing.

In general, I love craftsman kits....have collected many over the years. Yellow box for Christmas, red box for my birthday. Made things simple for the misses. The few I built turned out nicely. I intend to build them all. But, after seeing some of the unbelievable results that the artists here have shared, I am thinking that I would like to build a new design Sierra West kit to pick up a few new skills to make the other builds go that much better.

Professionally, I'm a software/electrical engineering guy - still at it. Also enjoying using that background in the development of my railroad.

Reckon that's it. Sorry for rambling discourse. Looking forward to learning and participating going forward.

Cheers,
Vince

Comments

• Happy to see you here Vince!
  • Welcome Vince. As long as you add some modern vehicles most of the SW kits will fit a modern theme. O’Neills would fit it perfect in a modern layout.
  • Welcome aboard, Vince...enjoy the ride....btw, I spend some time in Lombard...nice area

Terry
  • Welcome Vince. As long as you add some modern vehicles most of the SW kits will fit a modern theme. O’Neills would fit it perfect in a modern layout.

Yes, I had the same thought about O'Neill's. Great looking kit. I think it would fit just fine. I'm trying to exercise a little self-control at this point and focus on the soon-to-be-released foundry, but we'll see. Self-control is no fun, anyway.
  • Welcome aboard, Vince...enjoy the ride....btw, I spend some time in Lombard...nice area

Terry

Hi Terry - I like Lombard, too. Love the hobby shop (Lombard Hobbies). My favorite store now that the original Caboose Hobbies is gone. They're not that close to me (45 minute drive?) but I head down there when I can.
  • I was just at Lombard Hobbies last week...used to be a good hoppy shop in Elmhurst which closed...was that Caboose Hobbies?
  • I think maybe you're talking about Al's Hobbies in the downtown area close to the Elmhurst Metra station? Yep -- Liked that hobby shop, too. First he had a store. Then he had a double store. Then.. *poof*. No clue what happened. He has been gone a long while, I think.

The Caboose I am talking about is the very large hobby shop in Denver (500 S. Broadway or something like that). That closed up last year. I only had a chance to visit once but...man...kid in a candy store type of experience.

• Hi Vince,
    Maybe this would interest you. I think Caboose Hobbies has reopened.
    https://caboosehobbies.com/
    Mark
  • Yes, indeed I do!

IC_caboose
  • butthole surfers?
  • Really nice to see you here Vince! Enjoy your visits. These fellows are fantastic modelers and great guys as you will see.

Geezerbill
  • Hey Vince. Welcome to the forum. Building a SW kit is one sure way to improve your modelling skills and you can apply those skills to any of your other builds. Looking forward to seeing some of your Sierra West work.