visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

BlueSky Company Warehouse HO/HOn3

Comments

• Thanks Ed!...Margo says "acceptable".

Appreciate that Mike. Quite tedious in 1:87 but gosh, makes such a big difference. Add the other details and it is well worth the effort.
  • Nice work Ken as always. .................Carl
  • Holy cow, this looks awesome. I've heard the phrase "track is a model too" and you've demonstrated how true (and important) that really is!
    We all fuss over minute details for hours/days and then, at the end, need to add some track. *Never use a piece of flex track in a diorama*. THIS is why!

(Okay...That last part is mostly a reminder to myself since I get tempted to take the shortcut in order to finish!)
  • edited December 2017
    Tracks are too far from the crane...can you move them closer??

(Joking)...looks great as usual...

Alan
  • I'm assuming you did approx 1-2 linear feet, what kind of time frame did that require? I love the results but since i am planning a much larger diarama (borderline layout) I don't know if i can dedicate that much time to the whole thing.... I was kinda thinking flextrack properly weathered. But seeing your results make me rethink that...
  • The trackbed and tracks are wonderful.
  • Thanks Carl.

Right you are Bill...the first diorama I built was SWSM Water Tank and Storage Shed and used standard HO scale track and was never really happy with it. I decided to go with hand laid narrow gauge with code 55 light rail on the recommendation of Brett and loved the look! Adding the rail joiners and rail spike heads finished it off to where I wanted it.

I'm on it Alan...knew something wasn't right!...oh wait...it's you that's not right..lol. Thanks buddy.

Mike, don't even want to recall how long the process of detailing that 24" of track required...labor of love or something like that! You are so right. Firstly, if I was contemplating building the trackage for a working layout I would go with the detailed flextrack for sure. I have seen some flextrack that was very nicely done and loooked really good. Secondly, even if you decide on hand laid track you can get a good reliable working track that looks good without the time consuming detail of spiking every tie with 4 spikes and adding detailed rail joiners!

Appreciate that Robert, and means a good deal coming from someone as detail oriented as you have shown us!
  • I felt compelled to at least offer up a verbal update on BlueSky. The weather here in Ohio is cold and snowy unsuitable for outdoor photo work. As mentioned in my previous post, the track detailing is finished save for final weathering consisting of oil, grease, and dirt from the rail traffic. The second layer of ground cover has been applied to the entire diorama where appropriate followed by scenic work on the loading dock, under and in front of the loading dock, and along the walkway to the front of the Dry Goods Store. Detailing/scenicing is complete on the stairway side of the old barn and am working my way around the detached storage shed (interior detailed previously). Just completed the backside of the shed today, which provided ample ideas for some nifty detailing. I will then be moving around to the elevated oil/gas storage tank that I featured earlier. Have been "chomping at the bit" to get to this part of the dio as it should prove a really interesting mini-scene (I love old tanks and grunge of course).

Have decided on where the service pole for the electrical service will be located and the associated details are being mulled over. I will be dropping the main electrical service connection to the Dry Goods Store. I then plan to have a line running from the old barn to the detached storage shed to provide the electric service there. Need to get all detailng and scenic work done around and below that area before connecting up the service line, as I only want to fiddle with that connection once!

Need to figure out how and with what details to populate the fenced service yard in front of the detached shed. This area will literally "eat" casting details if I allow myself to get carried away...which I usually do. The initial plan was a metal scrapping yard of sorts an additional business for BlueSky coupled with the Dry Goods/Hardware store. Once that's all finished, I move to the front of the Dry Goods Store and single pump gas station facility and the area behind the store including the cool stone cookhouse...wow, then I'm done!
  • Yea, I figured an update, regardless of how lean, was called for...alive I am!
  • Ken,
    You have done a nice job with your overall build so far. I wouldn't want to rain on your parade but to really capture the authentic looking track you have installed, you might want to consider tearing up those 348 simulated rail spikes and add some tie plates underneath your naked rails, then replace those 348 simulated rail spikes. Your track looks great with the weathering you have done, but the spikes alone show something is missing. Just an honest opinion.
    Rich
  • edited January 2018
    Well here's where a bit of research would help...many of the early 20th century narrow gauge logging and backwoods railroads did not use tie plates. I'm modeling that era here and utilizing narrow gauge code 55 light rail. This type of track would likely never have been put down with tie plates. I have attached a picture here of an example of track being laid in the early 1900s with just rail spikes. I appreciate your thoughts and opinion Rich, and glad folks are looking closely at things...keeps everyone on their toes!

Loco
  • No problem here Ken, it just looks amazing anyway. Thanks for posting your picture.
  • You were just trying to make more work for me!...I have trouble enough getting stuff done as it is...lol...I'd rather have a sharp stick in the eye than do any more work on that track!...approaching about half done with all the scenic and detail work on BlueSky.
  • Ken the descriptions of what you are doing are making me drool in anticipation!. Yes I would love to come to the expo to meet everyone. It is going to happen sometime hopefully soon. Amazing the pictures of the builds I saw posted from the expo. Amazing the level of talent! Hopefully someday Brett will give some classes again too.

Jim
  • I'm gettin there Jim! nice hearing from you. I thought about posting the scenic work and final detail pictures as I did them but have decided to wait until the diorama is done and then post the pictures. That explains, in part, why the big gap since my last progress post.
  • it'll be well worth the wait...
  • Appreciate the patience and all I can say is there will be a lot to see...
  • Ed, if this diorama was a deer in the cross hairs, it would be looking for an escape route! Solid 3/4 done with all scenic and detail work. I dislike this kind of "yea, almost done" kind of talk but I also think it in poor taste not to keep folks updated once I start a build thread even if I don't have actual pictures to post. And of course there was the peer pressure from Carl doing his vines on Eureka Springs...so I had to give that a try on the side of the shed. Adding the crane scene to the mix opened up a collage of detail work...and then there's the iron gate, tank platform, detailing the rear of the shed and...geesh I made a lot of extra work for myself!...love this stuff don't we...Ken
  • I just put the finishing touches on my BlueSky diorama. The weather is looking good for a photo op and will hopefully begin posting pictures this week. all in all, I think it turned out reasonably well as things came together. Time to clean up the shop and on to the next thing!....
  • edited February 2018
    I will be posting pictures of my finished BlueSky diorama over the next few days. The initial post here is a virtual walk around of the diorama. Subsequent pictures will show more detailed shots of various areas and "mini-scenes".

IMG_2810

Front shot of BlueSky with a busy loading dock scene.

IMG_2922

Dry Goods and Service Island...

IMG_2875

Heading towards the back of BlueSky...my favorite part of this build! Leave it to Brett to design a kit where the back is as good as the front!

IMG_2853

IMG_2889

A little poor man's topography!

IMG_2873

Stone cookhouse coming into view. This was such a nice casting to work with...

IMG_2831

Couln't resist adding a burn barrel...

IMG_2849

Back of the storage shed...with added back roof and details...oops...more burnt stuff...

IMG_2878

Path around to the front of the storage shed and yard...

IMG_2877

More over the next couple days...
  • wow.....
  • Fantastic! There's so much to take in here... Gonna spend some time and study these to see everything. Can't wait to see the detail pics. Yeah WOW for sure.
  • Thanks Kevin and Ed...short but sweet!...appreciate that.

Well Brett, it was a real joy to work this kit up. Can't believe you nailed such a great piece of work on your first kit some 22 years ago! I'll be posting some nice detailed shots and give some narrative of what I may have done that was unique or worth mentioning. Thanks again for all you do and have done, as the modeling world is a much better place as a result...
  • Ken Great job everything looks spot on I do like the vines they are in the right place. Thank You for Sharing. .......Carl
  • Beautiful work Ken. I'd say amazing but really it's up to your standards. Fantastic!
  • Fantastic job Ken! The detail is incredible. The layout of all the details and scenery is perfect. Great job all around.

-Steve

• Hi ken

The first bunch of pics are just mind blowingly beautiful. You are a true master of this stuff. Love it bro.
  • Pure eye candy. Fantastic build. Can't wait to see the detail pics. Bravo !!!
  • Man, what a treat to see these pictures this morning! I saw that you were getting ready to snap some outdoor images and here they are!

WOW

That front shot (#2) is so well done. I mean all of it: color, composition, scenery elements...everything is seamless. So impressive!

Great work my friend! (Now, lemme get back to studying the rest of them and contemplate if I wanna stick with his hobby!)