visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Overseas Customers - Materials Information Thread

I am asked by my overseas customers what to substitute for some of the materials I recommend in my kits that might be difficult or impossible to find in Europe, Australia, New Zealand, India, Korea, Russia, and Japan. If you live overseas I would appreciate it if you could spare a moment and let other customers in your area know what you use for rubbing/isopropyl alcohol, white metal blackener, etc... Please do not post links to any suppliers as the links can change. Thanks for your help!

Comments

• edited February 2018
    In radio we used to use rubbing alcohol to clean the playback heads on reel to reel machines. Not sure why I remember this, but a British dj told me they call "American" rubbing alcohol: "surgical spirits".
    So, check at the drug store (AKA the "chemist") for surgical spirits. It's supposed to be the same stuff.
  • Hi everyone,
    Still being quite new to this type of model building and living in the uk, I did struggle a bit at first finding the right materials. So at first I used Amazon, to buy some products and get ideas of other companies if they didn't stock the items I required.
    Here's a list of products I have been using and where I have purchased them from, I hope it helps!
    AMAZON;
    70% Benjamin rubbing alcohol
    Vallejo acrylic paints
    Higgins india ink
    Testors aerosol enamel paint (hobby base)
    MG Chemicals ferric chloride liquid (for ageing corrugated roofs)

JACKSONS ART SUPPLIES OR PEGASUS ART;
    Rembrandt soft pastels

MINIATURE HEROES;
    Reaper paints

PATROL BASE OR WONDERLAND MODELS;
    Krylon sprays

TRADITIONAL STAINED GLASS & LEADED LIGHTS;
    Novacan black-it patina (for blackening white metal)

Just enjoying my build of the railroad camp!

kind regards
    Ash