visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Variations on a theme... The Woodcutters'

Ok guys, as I can't install the dueling shacks for now, (the layout is in France, I am in Belgium for a few more weeks,) I thought, well lets move on to the next build. ( I know Brett is anxious to see his kits come together....) A step higher on the difficulty ladder :) ..

So, I decided to start with the Woodcutters Shack. Already some time ago , but only now a little bit presentable. As always, I like to put in my personal touch, variations on a theme so to speak.

The construction of the edifices is done, but no final patination yet. So, still a lot of work in that department.... Same for the marvelous details. With each kit I am overwhelmed by their beauty.

Here we go...

DSCN2018

DSCN2019

DSCN2020

DSCN2021

DSCN2022

DSCN2023

DSCN2024

DSCN2025

DSCN2026

DSCN2027

DSCN2028

DSCN2029

DSCN2030

DSCN2031

DSCN2032

DSCN2033

DSCN2034

DSCN2036

DSCN2037

DSCN2038

DSCN2039

More later.

Robert

Comments

• Shingles look really good. Did you just paint them Gray and then dry brush with some lighter grays and off whites?

Alan
  • Robert. It looks wonderful almost like a painting nice work. ...............Carl
  • Great colour and texture. Really stunning.
    Joel
  • Yes Alan, there are no powders used here. But I will do so later when I add moss and more dirt particles. I did paint them almost one by one to get the difference betweem them. In between layers, some brushing with wire brush and light sanding to get structure and taking off color on the edges. But like I said, more patination will follow.
  • Very nice.
  • Love your work RG, most notably the natural variations in the coloring/weathering of the various components. Really like the ladder rungs too!
  • Amazing attention to the wood finishes, and your distinct style is wonderful. Love the weathered tar paper roof.
  • Robert,

Very nice, I like your coloring and texture as it is not to dark.
  • The Woodcutters workbench and sledge.

DSCN2106

DSCN2107

DSCN2108

DSCN2109

DSCN2111

DSCN2112

DSCN2116

DSCN2117

DSCN2119

DSCN2121

DSCN2125

More separate details will be added of course.
    OK, back to the euh.....bench.... :wink:
  • I love the colors and textures you were able to coax out of these pieces.
  • Have no idea where resin casting ends and wood begins... Outstanding. Love the b/w pics too! Oh yeah, pitted old rust is fantastic as well.
  • Perfectly executed!
    I hope you'll post a brief tutorial on how you achieved that corrosion effect. It's so well done, Mark!
  • More amazing detail work. Thanks for posting. Something to try and emulate.
  • Ok Bill, this is what I do.

For the rust, two things are important. Color and structure. For the colors, I used the Rembrandt chalks numbers; 411,5 Burnt Sienna, 236,5 Light Orange, 236,3, another light Orange, 409,3 Burnt Umber, and 700,5, Black.

As always I primed the castings, resin or white metal, with my black cellulose thinner metal primer. This is a strong primer which can take any patination. Soft or aggressive . ( I use it to prime my brass build rolling stock )
    Can handle and resist any solvent except cellulose thinner of course.
    Now any primer will do, just bare in mind what solvent it is made of.

The structure is build up by mixing these chalks with a mat varnish as a binder. Applied in several layers.
    With this thickness, the alcohol won't hold the chalk together.

For the rest it is just a matter of playing around with the colors. Just pay attention that the rust on cast iron is different than rust on steel plates of which the reservoir is made of. The latter will result more in layers of rust.
    The black chalk is used very thrifty . Just to give some accents here and there.

Now sometimes when I don't like the result, I just wash everything back off with thinner and start all over again.........

I hope this is of some use. But when I look at all the forum members' results, I wonder if I can show you anything you didn't already know.

Robert
  • Robert. Great work and thank you for the wonderful info. ............Carl
  • Nicely done casting work Robert.
  • Looks fantastic...and thank you for the details on how you accomplished your results. Can’t wait to see more.

Alan
  • Robert,

Stunning and real are the two adjectives that come to mind when I look at this build. But the two components that really jump out at me are the tar paper roof and the rusted castings. If I didn't know that this was posted on a modeling forum and I had not seen some of your previous postings I would be hard pressed to say with certainty that these weren't just photos of real life examples.

Can you explain how you make your " black cellulose thinner metal primer"? Is it a home brew or a commercially available product?

Thanks, Joyeux Noel , Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Dave, it is just a commercially available product I get from my restoration products supplier. Should be available in the US aswel. But any primer will do you know. It is just that I have that one on hand.
  • Nice. The tar paper roof sections are great and the way you raised a texture on the rust--I like that.
  • Robert.G said:

I hope this is of some use. But when I look at all the forum members' results, I wonder if I can show you anything you didn't already know.

Robert

You're far too modest, Robert!!
    We're all here to learn and improve. I ain't ashamed to admit it: You're showing me stuff!
  • indeed....
  • Robert, I am just catching up on all the build threads. Your work is outstanding!! Wow, I can't say anything that hasn't been said. Just wonderful modeling. I really love the roof. It looks just right. Thank you for providing the "how to".

Geezerbill
  • edited May 2018
    The wall and hangar took a while but now we continue with the Woodcutters Shack. The tank. I made a hinge on the lid so it could tilt. I wasn't sure about the chain.

And now that I see the photo's so much enlarged, I wonder what the tiny holes all around are. They don't really show when you see the tank from a normal point of view. Oh, and I put the ladder upside down...oops

DSCN2509

DSCN2512

DSCN2513

DSCN2514

DSCN2515

DSCN2517

DSCN2518

DSCN2519

DSCN2520

Soon more.. :wink:
  • What great weathering. Love the caked on rust and the repaired rung on the ladder. Amazing
  • Wonderful layered rust effect. Wood appears old a "grungy" just the way I like it as well...Ken
  • Hi Robert. I was looking over your tank on the woodcutters shack. I looks great. How did you get the rust texture?

Steve Custer asked me this, but it can be of use to everyone who was wondering, so here some explanation.

Hey Steve, it's very simple. I used the chalks but instead of applying them with alcohol, I used diluted turpentine based mat varnish. This will hold the 'thicker' layers better when dry than the alcohol.

Also, when dry another layer on top won't dissolve the previous one like with alcohol. Using a rather stiff bristle brush gives the texture. Several thin layers of different rust tones are applied. Then with diluted oils I did the darker parts.

So no rocket science here.... :wink:
  • edited May 2018
    Working on the details, I thought, well let's detail the details..... As I wanted to light up the scene, there 's a hanging lamp coming under the shed, but for the shack itself, I had this surreal, but illuminating idea.
    For those who have build it, they know, a small, no, a tiny lantern in white metal is included. So , says I, why don't we make this little fellow functional, than it can stand on a workbench or so ,in front of the shack, and lighten up the scene...
    Well this is what I did. I'll let the photos speak for themselves..

One thing, either you have eagle eyes, which I don't have , or serious magnifying spectacles ... :smile:
    I used an smd led and soldered two thin wires to it.

DSCN2534

DSCN2535

DSCN2536

DSCN2537

DSCN2538

DSCN2539

DSCN2542

DSCN2545

soon more

• As usual really great work Robert. Very clever. I can’t wait to see it in the scene