visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Sawmill Complex On30 Module

Comments

• Mike: The video and links are just fabulous. Thanks for taking the time to search them out. Several of the pieces in the books are very similar to the SierraWest kit machinery. I spent an hour last night scanning the pages. No info on the friction materials that I found so far. One member of the 4L responded directly to me and has info for sale in a catalog which I'll probably purchase. The search continues........Joe CCCModOn30
  • edited March 2012
    I'm as curious about this as anyone and for me part of the fun of the hobby is the search for odd details:

From "Keepers of the record: the history of the Hudson's Bay Company Archives" by Deidre Simmons
  • I totally agree with you Mike, research is fun. Neat article about the paper friction device. I've heard the term before but don't understand why paper would work in this instance?

I have heard nothing from 4L except for the one guy mentioned. I ordered his CD catalog so maybe there will be something of interest.....Joe
  • edited March 2012
    I confess this search is taking me a bit further afield than I originally thought it would; I'm finding more leads in farm equipment than sawmilling so I'm calling it quits. One more picture:

One more article of some possible interest: http://wellssouth.com/blog/?p=64 Note the reference to use of strawboard rather than actual paper as we tend to think of it.

I also noticed that of all the photos I've looked at that none of them seem to show any pulleys, paper or metallic, with polished surfaces, even those that come in contact with belts. http://napdesign.com/heritage/sawmill.html#img1
  • Mike: I'm finding the same results: friction pulleys were used in 1800's into the 1900's as transmissions in cars. One antique car forum I ended up on stated friction discs were made of compressed paper at first and then after 1919, cork. I also saw several references to leather being used on the edges of metal discs to contact other metal plates. If I find any interesting data on the CD catalog I ordered, I'll post. One thing I never saw anywhere, was metal to metal contact of friction discs (so far). ..Joe

• Hi: I've been dreading this for a while; up next is the last piece of sawmill machinery- #10 of 10. It's been 3 1/2 months of enjoyment for me. These kits are just terrific. I really appreciate all the suggestions, comments and kind words from my fellow modelers.

-Joe CCCModOn30

• the edger was my favorite to build... I kinda enjoy casting the parts up too!
  • It certainly is a fun project and passes the weight test. The little bag holding the metal castings was heavy....Joe
  • Im sure youll turn this into another impressive machine Joe.

I look forward to more.
  • Thanks Wes, it's a neat piece on machinery with lots of details.

-Joe CCCModOn30
  • Additional in process photos. Joe CCCModOn30

• Hi: I did receive the Filer & Stowell Sawmill Equipment catalog (CD) which is very informative. The only reference to friction drums stated they were paper covered. The time period was in the late 1800's into the early 1900's. Case closed....Joe
  • thanks for the update... great info!
  • Thanks Brett, it was fun researching the info and maybe I learned something in the process!

Following are the final photos of the edger, kit #10 and the final piece of equipment in the series. It has been fun putting these together. I would like to thank all who took part for your suggestions and comments.

I have some work to do on the base and then I'll attempt to take some final photos of the entire structure(s)......Joe CCCModOn30

• The second photo was the wrong one.

• I don't know what happened but the other WP-910 series of photos vanished- 12A,14A,15A,17A......HELP !
  • What a great journey this was. Each piece done very well. On to the sawmill next?
  • Beautiful work Joe, from the wood colouring and aging to the metal wear and textures. Not to mention your usual precise and exquisite assembly.

A great finale and a pleasure to follow.

Karl.A
  • Thanks Bryan and Karl for your comments and suggestions along the way. Brett's O scale sawmill structure will be the next major build and it's my understanding if things go well it will be available next Fall, 2012. If I find the time during the busy summer season, I'll probably work on the On30 modules which will house the sawmill structures. I'll keep you posted.....Joe CCCModOn30
  • I have a question about your blackening method. Did you pop them straight in the Blacken-it or did you wash them first? I ask because I just blackened the pieces from my current project and some came out perfect and some had spots not blackened at all. I did not wash mine but did brush while in the Blacken-it.
  • I don't wash the castings. I put them in a small plastic container filled with fresh Blacken-it and stir them around once or twice. Total time about 2-3 minutes. I like the way they come out with spots and small areas not covered. Some are brownish, others come out black; instant weathering variations.....Joe
  • Hi: I finally got the base complete and attached are the final photos of the 10 pieces of sawmill machinery. I hope you enjoy them as much as I enjoyed building them.

-Joe CCCModOn30

• It was fantastic to watch you work on these great kits Joe and to follow your terrific modeling of each individual piece. Seeing them all together only breeds anticipation of your final scene......

Karl.A
  • Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful.
    Well done.
  • Thank you Karl & Alan, your comments and words of encouragement are greatly appreciated. Thanks to all who have followed along.

-Joe CCCModOn30
  • Yoe did a fantastic job Joe. I look forward to your next project. Gonna be a joy to follow.
  • Thanks Wes, I do appeciate you following along....Joe
  • can't wait to see it installed in the mill - wonderful job! Charlie Brommer was hoping with my ability to produce and distribute the machinery there would be more O scale sawmills in the world!!!!
  • Thanks Brett; hopefully I can play a small part in making that happen. Bring on the wood and castings !!

-Joe CCCModOn30
  • Hi: Just back from the Narrow Gauge Convention in Bellevue, WA. They did a fantastic job; well organized, excellent venue, great clinics & layout tours, and many vendors to spend your hard earned money.

I entered the model contest with the sawmill machinery and was awarded third place in the structure category. The level of modeling was just unbelievable and I was very happy to be recognized by fellow modelers......Joe CCCModOn30