visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Dueling Shacks Corrugated

The second build of the duo. The corrugated. (sorry for the fingerprint on the lens ) I was wondering, should there be some kind of nails, screws that attached the panels, visible ? As with the wooden one, more patination once put on the layout / diorama.

DSCN1928

DSCN1930

DSCN1931

DSCN1932

DSCN1933

DSCN1936

DSCN1938

DSCN1939

Robert

Comments

• Nice color to the shed. Moss add a nice touch.
    As far as nails or bolts, I think they would be appropriate but could easily take away from what you have done here so far. I might try some experiments on a left-over panel. Probably would try some very small (N scale) NBW to start.
  • The first details. The wooden barrels

DSCN1966
  • Some of the best barrels I've seen.
  • Actually, quiet simple Ed. Start with some top notch castings, then I primed them with the airbrush and a grayish brown cellulose paint. With an airbrush, you can put on very thin layers so no detail is lost. Then I played with the chalks and the alcohol , drew the iron loops with a fine black felt pen, some pigment on the two sides of them to get some depth and as a cherry on the cake, I went over them with a soft graphite pencil to accentuate the iron.
  • Fantastic work Robert. Thanks for explaining all this so well.
  • Robert. What number pencil did you use. Thank's .............Carl
  • edited October 2017
    Ed,
    Carl is asking for the softness value of the lead, which makes a difference.
    Its a valuable and viable question, for those of us that model.

Karl.A

Also, if everything was so simple, Pele wouldn't have cheated and used his hand, but, that's a discussion for the "off topic" forum and not here.
  • Carl, I used a number zero pencil. Soft enough to leave graphite without scratching away the chalk,and hard enough to get detail. ( I hope the numbers are the same in the US as in Europe.)
  • Thank You Robert..................Carl
  • Some of the rusted iron barrels...

DSCN1975

DSCN1976
  • Beautiful work Robert...sorry, the name "Dr. Grunge" is already taken! Love the lip of the one barrel pried up...great stuff.
  • Excellent work, Robert. You have an incredible command of color and texture!
  • Those are awesome. Like Ken, I particularly like the one that pried open.

Here is something to try that I think you could pull offon the next batch. How about having the faded remnants of a label burried underneath the rust and grime?
  • I'd say amazing but at this point I'm not really amazed at all, just more top notch weathering. A true artist.
  • Fantastic work, nothing else to say, just fantastic.

Karl.A
  • Ditto. I wish I had this kind of command of texture and color. Phil
  • OK Robert. What is the price for the barrel's I take a bunch in HO if you like. ..........Carl
  • Thank you people, I am having so much fun and satisfaction with this kit. And it's only the beginning. Sorry Carl, the pleasure of doing this is priceless.......
  • I have a Master Card.
  • best barrels i've ever seen, wood and steel. a "clinic" would be most appreciated.....
  • Thanks kebmo. Some more paintwork.

DSCN1994

DSCN1990

DSCN1998

DSCN1999
  • Stunning work. I also echo the call for a small tutorial.
  • Robert, all I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • First of all, Happy New Year everybody. And as a little present for Brett, my first finished Sierra West Kit. It is the smallest one but nevertheless , it is done and I think it looks fine.

The Corrugated Shack.

A few reflections I do have. For the rather organized guy ,I like to think of myself , I find it extremely difficult to make on purpose a mess, junk, litter, clutter, chaos, disorder , well you get the picture. It is against my nature so to speak. So I hope the junk and clutter on the diorama aren't to much of a painters composition.....

Then, as I wanted to do something different than other Corrugated Shack dioramas, I placed the improvised workbench and the cabinet inside, together with some other boxes, barrel etc.
    It doesn't look logic that ,unless it is totally abandoned and derelict, these two pieces should stand under the leeks of the roof.. My shack is still in use.

Also, I wanted to install some lightning inside. Just for the effect it gives at night. Quiet romantic, I admit, but hey, so what...

I also placed the shack on a concrete base. It would lift it up a bit. And protect it from water coming in through ,where the boards touch the ground.

Sorry for the red and black wire on the last pics...

DSCN2234

DSCN2235

DSCN2236

DSCN2237

DSCN2238

DSCN2240

DSCN2241

DSCN2243

DSCN2244

DSCN2245

DSCN2246

DSCN2227

DSCN2232

DSCN2233

Hope you like it.

Robert
  • edited January 2018
    Superb Robert! Your clutter detail continues to be top shelf. Love the idea of putting it on a concrete slab and how your scenic work integrates so well and there is plenty of color without distraction. That red barrel just inside the door draws you in but is not too loud. The views from the back, despite having less clutter to enjoy, are my favorite shots...so well done. That one large truck tire has some "sprinkles" stuck to the "rubber" that doesn't quite look right? Second pic from the top. If done purposely maybe bird poo? However no place for birds to perch above the tire? lol...Wonderfully done.
  • edited January 2018
    Thanks. Yes , the sprinkles are already removed, it was the photo that showed me them. Damn birds.....
  • Excellent presentation. Nice job on the vegitation sprouting up in the cracks in the concrete.

What is that wooden structure in the background?
  • Just the graden fence...
  • This is nice Robert. I like the paint tin touch in the rear.
  • Robert,

Nice job. This deserves a big WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!