visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Sawmill Complex On30 Module

Comments

• Back in town and finished up kit #3 of 10. Final photos follow, hope you enjoy. Joe CCCModOn30

• looks awesome Joe, very well executed - got a baggie of small parts ready to send out to you tomorrow...
  • This continues to be an outstanding build! The natural color, texture and tone you are achieving with each kit is perfect. What did you use for the log?

Kevin
  • Hi Brett: Thanks for your comments and appreciate the replacement parts. I'll work harder to assemble them carefully ?

Kevin: Appreciate your kind words and feedback. The log is from a mature bottle brush plant. The color and bark texture is just terrific. I received them at a train show from a guy who really liked my On30 log pond module and said I needed some good looking logs- nice guy.

-Joe CCCModOn30
  • They look great Joe, so I think we need to find a source of supply.

Kevin
  • OK, up next is kit #4 the Carriage Drive and Sawdust Blower. Very few parts in this one, but once you realize it must be integrated into the circular husk machinery things get a little more involved. I decided to build a base and start mounting the completed pieces in line. This will also give me a look see at what the final sawmill footprint will look like- big, really big. The gatorboard pieces in the photos are 12" X 36" and the machines will take up most of that.

I had thought the sawmill complex might fit into one On30 module approximately 6 ft. by 24-30 inches wide. I'm now thinking it will take two modules of 2 ft. by 4 ft or 2 ft. by 5 ft. Our groups On30 modules are fully operational and have mainline tracks and passing sidings which take up a lot of real estate quickly. It's not a problem, but track planning must be considered. On to the build, hope you enjoy.

-Joe CCCModOn30

• Final photos of the Carriage Drive and Sawdust Blower. Next up is kit #5, Live Rolls.

Joe CCCModOn30

• edited January 2012
    Fantastic job Joe, you have a really nice touch with subtle coloring and the way you treat the castings. Is the black cable supposed to be rope or metal cable? If it is cable just make sure no little thread hairs are sticking out. Not a nit pic, just one modeler to another.

KO
  • Thanks for your comments Kevin. I'm not sure what the real carriage drive cable material would be. I'll have to research that before final placement in the sawmill ( maybe Brett knows?). The kit instructions call out to use non-cotton thread, whatever that is? I had the black thread on hand, so I used that. Good eye, as it has little hairs sticking out but for the moment it works for me.

-Joe CCCModOn30
  • Up next is kit #5- live rolls. This is a conveyor type machine that moves freshly cut wood from the saw down the line for further processing. It uses belts and several gear sets to power the rollers. Should be a neat project- enjoy.

-Joe CCCModOn30

• A couple of in process shots and the final photos of the Live Rolls machine. A fun project with a lot of details. Five kits down, five to go. Having fun in Morgan Hill, CA.

-Joe CCCModOn30

• I'm really enjoying watching these come together. You do very fine work. I ordered a set of these as well. Hopefully they will be here soon.
  • I love the way the machinery lays out - always wanted to make a display with just the machinery to show how a steam powered sawmill functioned... Great job so far Joe!

and yes Bryan, your order will be processing and shipping soon!
  • Hi Bryan- Im glad you are enjoying the build and hope it can help you in some way. It is great fun and you get instant satisfaction when each component is completed.

Thanks Brett for you kind words and encouragement. I'm am also enjoying the display as it progresses. I even threw some sawdust around the equipment yesterday . I received the replacement parts yesterday, appreciated.

-Joe CCCModOn30
  • Beautiful modelling Joe, very inspiring to follow along with. Each piece looks fantastic as you check them off the list...

Karl.A
  • Thanks Karl...Joe
  • Up next is kit #6- Cut-Off Saw and Dead Rolls. Actually this is 2 pieces of machinery as stated. Way to go Brett, what a deal! I'm going to add a little color to the cut-off saw as I'm getting bored with everything being done with Blacken-it. I really like the stuff but change it good. Hope you enjoy and comments welcomed.

-Joe CCCModOn30

• Final photos of the Dead Rolls portion of Kit #6. Working on the cut-off saw in living color ?

-Joe CCCModOn30

• Great looking progress Joe, very neat and precise construction also.

One thing you may want to consider.... (or not)

The walk boards would see alot of foot traffic from the operators, this would wear them to a smooth finish.
    You could try sanding the tops of the boards with a very fine grit sand paper and then polish them with regular photocopy paper. You may need to re-add some colour after sanding but this shouldnt be too hard with a brush. Do this before the 'polishing'.

Just an idea for you to think about...

Karl.A
  • Thanks Carl for your comments. I really like your idea about a smoother finish on the walk boards, I'll give it a try. I remember doing this to the mill engine and boilerhouse floor but it didn't cross my mind on these structures. Another great reason to build and post on these forums.

-Joe CCCModOn30
  • Final photos of the Cut-Off Saw part of kit #6. I like the look of the saw frame coloring; believe it adds some interest? The 4 posts holding up the saw are temporary; looks like something out of Star Wars. Once the sawmill structure is built, the saw will be attached to the roof structure.

I've also attached some photos of the machinery built and placed to date. Starting to really look neat. Hope you enjoy and comments welcomed.

-Joe CCCModOn30

• This whole build has been a joy to follow Joe. You work is very neat and precise.

I look forward to more.
  • Thanks Wes, appreciate you following along....Joe
  • I really like the look of the cut off saw - nice work on the coloring...
  • Thanks Brett, glad you like the coloring.....Joe
  • Up next is kit #7- Log Turner. Kit photo and final photos follow. Similar to the cut-off saw, the log turner will eventually hang from the roof rafters. I've also included some shots of the base; really starting to look like something. What do you think? Enjoy...Joe CCCModOn30

• Joe that third to last picture is a stunning one. These machines are going to look brilliant when they are all built and housed in a sawmill building.
  • Thanks Wes, appreciate your kind words. Every now and then I take a really good photo, which is purely accidental by the way. I recently started following a picture taking forum so hopefully I can make progress in that area. Thanks again, Joe CCCModOn30
  • Hi Brett: Not sure what happened, but it posted the reply twice. The second one shows Posts:0 ?? If you could remove it, that would be good. Thanks, Joe
  • OK folks, up next is kit #8- the Log Deck. I've been looking forward to this one; lots of wooden structures and some great looking castings. I have a new technique I'll be using on the skidway. I'll discuss it in detail once we get there. Hope you enjoy.

-Joe CCCModOn30