visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

O Scale Sawmill

Karl and I will begin working in earnest on this kit soon... Any thoughts or comments???

Comments

• Great news- l have a large empty plot on my layout just waiting for this one. Any chance of letting everybody know what the planned overall size would be - i.e. l hope it fits the space!!!
  • Alan,

the size estimated for the diorama is currently 22"x36", this would include the track and any ancillary structures, such as the water tower. This dimension comes from the Sawmill page.

I'm sure Brett will be able to give a more accurate dimension on the structure once we are a little further along in the development of this great kit.

"" l hope it fits the space!!! ""

You could do what I may need to do, and also the prototypical thing to do...... remove some trees, change the scenery, relay some trackwork and make it fit...

Thanks for the interest, updates will be posted as they happen.

Karl.A
  • I would love to see a sawdust Tee-Pee burner included on this.
  • i never liked the look of them modeled...
  • O scale sawmill...my next build....
  • looking forward to that! any prototype basis??
  • Really looking forward to this,it looks great on the website.
    radar
  • Any refinements on the footprint or anticipated release date? I'm planning a new layout and want this to be a main focal point. I'd like to get the sidings planned.

Kits arrived today to keep me busy through the winter. Spring I'm thinking sawmill machinery. After that...
  • Hi Brett: With Labor Day behind us, I'm looking at projects for the Fall/Winter build cycle. At the top of my list is your sawmill structure. Care to update us on release status? Thanks, Joe in Morgan Hill, CA.
  • Hey Joe! Next major project. Would love to start shipping by the end of the year...
  • Sounds like a plan to me. Looking forward to this one.

Jerry
  • Thanks for your update Brett. I'm sure this will be an incredible kit....Joe
  • Am I seeing straight? This has moved into production!
  • Going to start the pilot model very soon... very excited about this project. I have been looking forward to building this mill for many years. My good friend Doug Ramos built a set of sawmill machinery for me so all that is left to do is everything else!
  • Great news Brett !! I'll rev up the checkbook. Good luck with everything else....Joe
    CCCModOn30
  • Question - I'm a newbie ( absent from the hobby for over 30 years) but it was SW which awakened in me the dream of an O scale empire ( much to my family's protest). I'll be starting soft with the line side shed but building up to a couple big projects (spousal approval pending). My question is - am I an engine and boiler short of a full load
  • Whooops did I post this prematurely before accidentally? Kids and their technology! Question - I'm a newbie ( absent from the hobby for over 30 years) but it was SW which awakened in me the dream of an O scale empire ( much to my family's protest). I'll be starting soft with the line side shed but building up to a couple big projects (spousal approval pending). My question is - am I an engine and boiler short of a full load? If the Boiler / Engine house kit (in the Deer Lake Concept) is to power a future Shingle Mill (which is a great idea) would someone getting the package deal with the sawmill CHB bits need to get another 2 piston engine/ boiler for a sawmill if, in the end, it is too look something like Marty's great model?
  • edited January 2013
    Hi James,

if you plan on using the Mill Engine and Boiler House to power the Shingle Mill then yes, you will need a second Mill Engine and Boiler to power the main mill.

But wait !!!! Don't order one yet.

There will be several "special price deal packages" when the Sawmill is released. One of these will include a Mill Engine and Boiler.

Karl.A
  • Thanks Karl - that was my next question re: package deals.
  • I couldn't help but notice the March update for the sawmill. Thanks Brett for the rough floor footprint. I'm clearing off my workbench.
  • Hi Brett

Is the stripwood included in part 2 that will be released? Could you give an idea of the price range we would be looking at?

Really keen to order this big beauty.
  • I'm with Bryan, clear off the workbench....Joe
  • G'day All;

I have the same question as Wes has asked....IS the stripwood included in part two?
    I live hours from a model/hobby shop and they only carry balsa for the remote control aeroplane guys....sourcing stripwood for the project will be a "Check the USA sites and order from a list" for me.

Thanks in advance guys for all your help

Greg.
  • stripwood will be inlcuded with part 2 of the kit... too soon to talk price, gotta get it all done then cost it out.
  • Gday Greg in oz The Railcar stocks all lumber supplies and delivers to your door. If you are going to Narrow Gauge Convention they will be there, nice people to deal with.
    Stevo in oz
  • Looking forward to seeing what Brett does with this one. Only one spot on my layout will fit something this big, and after looking over the blue prints of the prototype I would have to flip it and build it in reverse. Will be a challenging kit bash....great project for 2014, maybe. Malcolm.

• Outstanding,I have been waiting for this for a long time
  • With all fairness in mind, if the contest rules limit the size of a diorama to 18x 30 and everyone but one follows the rules is it right to allow the one that is way beyond those size limits?
  • I agree with you buddy 100% - once the rules are set you gotta follow them or don't enter. I was talking more about the setting of the rules rather than the enforcement...
  • Thanks for hauling the pilot up to Pittsfield, guys. Needless to say this is one great looking mill !! We recently moved into a house, and my wife is allowing me to convert our dining room into a space for my On30 layout. My concerns about having room for this sawmill have been ground into sawdust. Fantastic craftsmanship Brett !!! Kudos to you all !!