visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Dueling Shacks

2»

Comments

• No problem Mark glad it might be somewhat useful. I've had a piece of wood occasionally like that one. Brett graciously supplies extra stripwood for the occasional orphan piece. Brett's wood is top quality and works and details much better than other bulk stripwood I have purchased. Anxiously await the detailing!
  • Way to dive in with both feet, Mark!
    While I haven't built the Dueling Shacks, I'm familiar with it enough to know that you'll be exposed to plenty of signature SW techniques and "secrets".

I LOVE that you've got reference pictures right from the beginning. So important!! Do your best to get close to the look, colors and textures that you see. Work until you're satisfied or...if you get stuck (and ALL of us do), reach out for help.
    Don't feel intimidated or frustrated, one of us here on the forum will lend a hand.

We all had to build a first kit--although you win for showing the most restraint in waiting to start one (13 kits???? Lol). People helped us along the way and none of us were born great (except for Karl. And Brett. And, probably Ken. Kevin was always great. Of course there's Alan, and Joel and...)
    But mortals like ME? Still a work in progress!

Stick with the manual, post your progress, and have fun!

• Bill thanks for the wonderful encouragement. I delved into Dr. Grunge's manual and decided to work on ten strips to work on the techniques to see how it worked.

The first step was to lightly sand the edges of the strips to add some depth. The strips on the right have been sanded. I believe the difference should be subtle.

Next I worked the ends of the strips. I worked one end that would be the bottom of the wall along the dirt, thereby being more weathered. I trimmed the other end as if it was going to be butted up end-to-end against another board.
    The first photo is to be of the weathered end.

The second photo shows the more square number.

Per Dr. Grunge's techniques, I used a wire brush to rough up the end and then used the sanding wand to smooth out the contours. I also took a softer brass bristled brush to soften some of the contours without totally losing the texture. Unfortunately, the contrast on the photo washes out some of the cut contouring that has been smoothed out.

I next wanted to try making some knot holes. As I looked at some knots, there tend to be a good number of them in boards, they are just more discrete in general.
    This photo shows the toothpicks inserted into the holes bored with a #11 blade. I wanted to make these smaller so they would be more subtle.
    IMG_0056

I put a drop of AI onto the knot holes to get a better idea of what they will look like. These photos show the results.

I suspect that some of the details will pop when the chalk and alcohol are applied.

I would be grateful for any suggestions on the following:
    1. How do you create the texturing around the knot hole? Whatever tool I use tends to track with the wood grain instead of scribing around the knot hole.
    2. If you weather the bottom of the boards, it would seem that you have to glue them even to the bottom of the wall template and work end-to-end joints in around them?

And if there are questions about how I did anything I'm happy to answer. I am hoping this might be helping someone instead of just being a show and tell.

Thanks again for everyone's comments and suggestions.

Mark
  • Hey Mark

Sure you havnt done this before? HAHA

Looks very good to me and seems like youve taken to this like a duck to water.
  • Wonderful detailing on the board ends. If it were me, I'd make up a thin "slurry" of alcohol and whatever color chalk you want to use to simulate the weathering on the board ends and with a small brush let the alcohol and chalk mix wick up the board end by just touching it to the bottom edge. The mix should be mostly alcohol.

#1. I texture around my knot holes with my #11 blade. And I usually do the detail for the knot hole before installing the knot. Your next to the last picture that center knot (easiest to see) looks fabulous! It looks slightly oblong and very natural. You could try taking a subtile contrasting "slurry" as I mentioned above and just touch a bit to the finished knot hole to highlight.

Not sure what you are referring to on question #2? If I understand you right. Those boards with the ends detailed can easily be used as the same boards with an end to end joint. Just cut the board where you want the joint and detail the cut end to taste with the previously detailed end at the bottom.
  • I just wanted to post an update as it may be a few weeks before I make another.

I'm headed to Malawi in less than two weeks and travel preparations will take priority. I'll be gone for three weeks serving with some dear missionary brothers.

So the Dueling Shacks will likely be on hiatus until September. Thanks for the wonderful support.

Mark
  • Good Luck on your travels Mark

I have about 4 malawians who work for me. Very soft gentle people, who work very hard.

Look forward to your updates when you are back.
  • Thanks Ed and Wes. I am going over to make a number of presentations to groups there. I am sure it will be life changing.

Mark
  • Hi all. I really did not fall off the face of the Earth, but a lot has had me sidetracked. I'm finally getting back to the dueling shacks. Boy, there have been some amazing builds on the shacks since.
    I hope you won't mind that I show you what has transpired.
    I spent over two weeks in Africa and has the joy of spending time with these orphans in Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania.
    orphans

When I got home I completed the remodel on what has become my train room.
    train room

I had a post on control panel wiring and wiring of a test track module. Here is the module with completed handlaid track with the two Deer Creek Lumber locomotives in the foreground.
    test board

I completed the basics of the board for the layout. I've shown the general placements of SWSM kits that the layout has been designed around.
    layout1

And here is the first stage of the treatment of the wood for the tarpaper shack that I got completed tonight.
    boards

So upward and onward. I'm glad to be back here with the gang.

Mark
  • Glad to see you back.... don't feel bad... I've barely been able to get anything done either.... was finishing up an off topic build and per Brett's advice started my Oniells kit.
  • Nice job on those boards by the way
  • Welcome back Mark and nice update. Wood is looking great.
  • You are doing just fine with this kit.
  • Thanks Mike, Ed, Ken, and Robert. I really appreciate the work you have shown in your threads.

In the spirit of testing out ideas, I'm looking to try some things here before I start my other HO kits.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Mark
  • As I've read through some of the threads on the Dueling Shacks, plus thinking at what I'd like to do, I decided to take on something extra with this build. I've spent the last few days laying out the framing for the Tarpaper Shack. I'll include screen shots of the graphics. I've drawn in the lines to place the siding around the rafters so the siding can be laid out before the walls are assembled.

Tarpaper 1

Tarpaper 2

It seemed reasonable that there would be a floor so I decided to use 4" x 4" stock to create a realistic framework. I'll extend the siding over the base so it will be less obvious.

I'm welcome to hear any ideas or comments.

Mark
  • You are going to transform this Shack into a residential home!..........:)
  • I looked at the model you did with the concrete slab Robert which gaved me the idea. I looked at the framing on the corrugated shack as an example. I also looked at the comments about their being rafter tails at each of the battens.
    As I was interested in being able to see some interior details this seemed a good step in that direction.
    As I said I'm open for suggestions. I do appreciate the input.

Mark

(OK I should have hit Post Comment a few weeks ago. Sorry Robert)
  • One of the reasons I wanted to work on the framing was to get some practice for when I needed to do this in HO scale. I have completed the framing as well as the flooring. To be honest, the thing that put me off the most was using the chalk. I am sure that I will improve, but will admit it is easier than I imagined.

Here is a view of the framing. The color is darker than it actually is.
    framesa

Here is a view of the base from the end view. The doors will be on the near end. I am going to put the workbench on the inside left. I have tried to model the wear patterns of foot traffic as well as scuffing at the freight door as well as a bit at the door from dragging items in through the doors.
    floor2a

This is a view from the freight door side. The door will be on the front left.
    floor1a

This view is from the person door entrance.
    floor4a

It is nice to finally being seeing some progress. A special thanks to Brett for his encouragement over the last few months.

Mark
  • Hi Mark, following along on this and was wondering if you've done more. Am doing the Deuling Shacks as an intro to Brett's techniques.

George
  • Once again I’m amazed at what my fellow modelers are doing here..... I continually print PDF files of the builds of the kits I eventually intend to build and then a build like this one for a kit I didn’t think I’d do and wow, I’m blown away.....so it’s time to crank up my PDF printer and create a file for this build.....too much info to absorb without print or electronic copy to refer to...well done Mark
    Terry
  • Beautiful work on the planking. I like how you varied the size and shape of your nail holes. Not sure how I missed this back in March!
  • George, Terry, and Ken. Thanks for the kind comments. I have this on the workbench, and should get back to it. I tend to be a little ADD, so find myself chasing the ooooo-shiny syndrome a bit. (I posted a thread on actually doing some layout work.)
    It seemed that there really is a lot of cool detail available so I wanted to stretch my wings to do the interior framing to get an idea of how to detail some of the inside as practice for the other projects.
    I will be continuing on this soon and will post as I do.
    Again, thanks for the encouragement.

Mark
  • We'll all be looking forward to you getting back to it Mark and seeing some more of your great progress. Please keep us updated.

Karl.A
  • If the rest of the build is gonna be as nice as this floor you are showing us, we're in for a real treat !!!