visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

BlueSky Company Warehouse HO/HOn3

Comments

• Looks fantastic Kenny....man that Wood looks old!
  • On the O scale...., yes I built the walls, but Brett did the stencil and got that amazing look.
    Yours, as I said, is incredible.
  • Superb!
  • Hey thanks Alan...you know got to give it the "Grungy" look.

Appreciate that Karl, really like many of the updates and differences between the two versions. Your wood treatment and coloring on the O Scale Barn was genius, as the entire pilot model is. Gleened many ideas and inspiration from that pictorial.

Thanks Brett, hard to believe this kit is 22 years old...would be light years above anything else on the market if it was new off the shelf today!
  • Hi Ken,

the wood looks like the old barn down the street!
  • Wow, such fantastic work Ken.
  • Fantastic Ken. I love the corrugated metal patches on the roof.
  • Thanks Stephen, nice to know the look is plausible.

Hey Dustin...nice heraing from you and appreciate that.

Thanks Steve. The patch work was taken from both the Loco and Service Shops build and O'Neills where Brett outlines this type of patch and repair quite nicely. The Loco Shop in particular as the roof is quite similar to BlueSky's Barn roof with the battens.
  • Most impressive.
  • Really stunning. You captured the colouring of the siding perfectly.
  • Thanks much Bryan.

Appreciate your critique Joel. I was concerned with how dark it was but has since grown on me and have seen many barns that have weathered dark like this.
  • Very, very nice Ken! Just great.

Geezerbill
  • It is the "dark" that I think gives it a richness and depth. It is great. Did you use any extra colours or did you just use a bit more of the 403 point whatever?
  • edited April 2017
    Wow! Those walls are outstanding! The right wall with the upper man door in particular demonstrates how to get the maximum effect out this type of modeling: natural color variation but just enough to illustrate the uniqueness of board-on-board construction.
    Textbook stuff, my man!
  • That just looks plain crappy Ken. Please post it to me and start over.

What a way to start my monday morning at work. Brilliant modelling bud.
  • Ken, you continue to set the bar on construction. Thanks for the inspiration. Phil
  • edited April 2017
    Thanks "G" Bill, apprecaite that.

I have to agree Joel. As I was staining the wood I thought although they were definitely grey just not what I wanted. As I darkened them up the look got better. So to answer your question...I started out just staining with multiple coats of AI until I got the color I wanted. Then detailed the wood and applied a concentrated AI on certian areas mostly to the board ends, knot hole areas, etc. with a detail brush. Then finished up with the chalks, again not over the entire board just strategic areas.

Hey Bill, thanks much...and board-on-board rules the day for sure.

Wes...what up buddy!...no way, you have a bad history of shipping and BlueSky!, they would be watching for it...Always nice to hear from ya and thanks.

Hi Phil, hopefully the traveling is slowing down a bit for you...and thanks for your thoughts here...I'm still tickled to be able to build this first kit of Bretts...birthed over 22 years ago!...love it...
  • Going back a few pages that your door buzzers.... how did you go about making them? I've also noticed a lot of your extra details have nbw's.... do you scratch build them, or do you buy them somewhere?
  • Hi Mike, the buzzer was made by taking an appropriate sized styrene rod and countouring the end with fine sandpaper and then slicing off the disk with a razor blade. The center button is a rivet with the head cut off with a razor blade and glued to the styrene base.

When called for in the manual, Brett supplies nice NBWs in the kits. If I'm adding extra details to me dioramas, I'll use NBWs from various sources...I'll send you a PM here shortly.
  • Well Ed...I'll take that as compliment, thanks my man.

I decided to post a much overdue update on my BlueSky build progress. I have been working on the Office portion of the Office and Dry Goods Store complex. I went off the reservation just a bit and constructed the sub-roof out of stripwood so I could have missing pieces of roof material and have the sub-roof visible. In addition, I wanted an older style of tar paper I have seen that is put down with heat and ends up "hugging" the roof more than the tar paper we see today. It also has a bit of a dull sheen like real tar coating. I accomplished this by using a thin tissue paper that I spray painted black. I am then going back and carefully peel uo the front edge here and there and tearing off bits and then wetahering to look like damaged and worn areas. You'll see a couple in the pictures, but not done with the final detailing yet.

IMG_1481

IMG_1480

IMG_1479
  • wow. just wow.
  • Tarpaper looks perfect. I have a tendency to overdo the tearing and weathering to the point where it is unrealistic. Spot on Ken, excellent color pairing with the wood.
  • Nice work Kenny. What did you use for tar...I assume some sort of glue with black paint...
  • Thanks much Brett and appreciate your thoughts on the torn and wethered edges. I think I'll keep this to a minimum here.

Good one Ed and thanks.

Great Kevin...thanks, and nice seeing you jumping in here!

Alan, I just coated the back of each strip with slightly watered down Elmers and then smoothed out the paper with my fingers to pick up all the surface texture. Tedious as the tissue paper wants to curl when the glue gets on the back. You can go with applying the glue to the roof first but I didn't particularly like that method myself.

• Here's a couple of pictures of the chimney and flashing completed...

IMG_1494

IMG_1491
  • Superb work Ken, the colouring and weathering are just terrific. am going to steal your 'thin' tar paper that shows the boards underneath idea, that is incredible, and flawless execution.

Karl.A
  • edited April 2017
    Hi Ken,

I like your tar paper roof Ken. This one looks functional and will stop leaks.
  • The chimney looks perfect. What did you use ti fill in the mortar joints?
  • edited April 2017
    Outstanding! I love how the layers and overlaps really come through on your tarpaper. It makes it obvious that the roof has had extended sun and heat exposure.
  • Thanks Karl and I'm sure not a new idea just a variation on a theme. I think the key is what type of paper is used. If you would like I can post a picture of the raw paper I used.

Appreciate it Stephen...

Alan, I didn't use anything to fill in the joints. The chimney casting is so highly detailed but of course small that I felt any "material" added to the joints would take away from the detail. So, I primed the casting with an enamel from a spray can and let that CURE. I then came back with my SWSM/Reaper #29835 "Dirty Grey" lightened with a bit of white and painted the casting joints and then went over it with a moist swab removing most of the grey from the brick faces. The slight grey hue left on the bricks served to make the transition very subtile. When all dry I dusted very lightly with black chalk, almost like dry brushing, over the whole thing.

Thanks Bill...it was good experiment with the type of paper I used. Almost called you regarding how you did your Quicny Barn tar paper as I believe it was a similar method or close?? This one seems just a bit heavier...