visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

O Scale O'Neill's Fabrication build thread

edited April 2017 in O Scale Builds
Since there isn't a build thread for the O scale O'Neill's on the forum, I would like to do one.
Since we're not on RR-Lines, I'm not going to bother with the picture of the box, but I will show the contents of the box in the followup post.

Comments

• Box contents

I'm gonna need a bigger workbench.

I won't bore you with pics of wire brushes and stripwood with toothpicks sticking in them. i will only post results (unless I get in a real bind and need to be rescued)
  • I meant to add that I will be following Ken Karns brilliant tutorial about texturing and detailing stripwood boards, but will adhere to Brett's coloring techniques.
  • Well Kevin, Ed has officially welcomed you in his own unique manner....

Looking forward to watching your build!
  • ed...yer killin' me.
    i'm the 'other' kebmo, although i have been know to play some killer blues in my day. more along the line of little milton rather than kebmo's.....
    gonna go check out wilco (again) in june. greatest band nobody's ever heard of.
  • Hey Kevin, great to see you working up O'Neills Fabrication in O Scale. Now that's a serious box of classic SWSM materials! Look forward to seeing you massage this thing into a great build. Will be following along closely...
  • thanks ken.
    i've got some serious shoes to fill.....
  • First build thread for the O Scale Version of O'Neills. I will be following along...thanks for sharing the process with us.

Alan
  • I have the kit so I'll be following along to.

Jerry
  • Thanks for gettin' it started. Looking forward to the build.
  • Looking forward to your build Kevin, I'll be following along and enjoying it with you.

Karl.A
  • i've got some scenery to finish up on the rusty stumps backwoods water tower, and a gig friday night but hopefully over the weekend i'll be able to get a start on the build.
  • The O-scale O'Neill's has been highly anticipated and I'm sure you'll do a terrific job, Kevin.
    Thanks for taking us along!
  • WesWes
    edited April 2017
    Hey Kevin

Great to see a build thread of this wonderful kit started, I cant wait to start mine.
  • edited April 2017
    I am really looking forward to seeing this build thread. An amazing kit. Really looking forward to seeing how it comes together so when I start mine I can tackle it. Thanks for posting.
  • ed: here's a picture of the O scale water tower before the land forms have been created.
    tower1

the tank siding split badly so the only way i could mask it was to build a cover for it.
  • i managed about 3.5 hours at the workbench today working on the 8" stripwood for the main building. that's a ton of wood! 101 pieces for that building alone. i pretty much followed ken karnes' tutorial all the way.
    grain sample
    did that for all these (except the ones brett says not to):
    finished pile of 8 inch lumber
    staining's up next. gonna be a few days before i have a chance to start that part.
    (sorry about the crappy picture of the graining. the only thing that showed up was a knot and the "enhanced" graining with the back of an old #11)
  • Off to a good start.
  • i got the boards for the main building stained. after texturing and detailing all those boards, i wasn't crazy about the way the stain was turning out, so after 4 or 5 batches i substituted a grey chalk for the ochre, and i liked that a little better.
    my photo taking skills are below subpar, so forgive the pics. here's a pic of a close up of some of the boards:
    main8inbrdsdtls1

and here's an overall pic of all the boards, and man there's a lot of them.

main8inbrdsdtls2

tomorrow i'm off to hoblob to pick up a bottle of ivory craft paint and some throwaway brushes and i'll give the wetbrushing technique a try.
  • Looking forward to watching the walls come together. Color is always a personal choice of what looks best for the modeler.

I see some of the boards have a bit of uneven spreading of the chalk. This can create some interesting effects on the finished wall, especially after you do your wet brushing. If you ever want to blend those uneven spots, a brass brush works great.
  • An awesome start - coloration and weathering will be the perfect base for the next step! A couple points - I love the uneven spots and if it were mine I would leave them alone. Brass bristles will add a patina on top of the wood if used after chalk weathering so go very, very lightly or use a steel bristled brush that does not alter the color. But let me say again - looks great and I would not touch it at this point!
  • Great start, I like all the variations in the boards.
    This will be a really good base for the paint effect.
    Looking forward to more progress.

Karl.A
  • good to know, thanks fellas. looking at ken's, i had my doubts re: the coloration of the boards.
  • The brushing technique will pull it all together and look great. Nicely done.
  • edited April 2017
    Voices are for the eardrums, great modeling is for the appreciation of the eyes.

Let's try to keep this thread focused on the modelling and on topic so that it remains a concise and informative record of the build.

I'm looking forward to following kevins progress on this great kit.

Karl. A
  • Nice start on those boards. Keep up the good work.

Jerry
  • i painted the boards this morning, and am submitting this picture to get the swsm seal of approval before i start gluing things down.
    that green is very electric! i haven't dirtied it up yet.

main building siding colored1

comments, suggestions, critiques before i start to glue things in place?
  • ed, i sent you a pm
  • pic is too far away - can you shoot a couple closer and straight on?
  • i have two things working against me. a) i'm a terrible photographer. b) shadows....
    closeup1
    closeup2
    closeup3
  • I like what I see a lot Kevin, excellent work. The boards that are colored range from medium to light coverage. Great natural appearing variation. My only concern is that maybe you should take the barely colored boards and apply a little more paint. There is too much plain wood visible. Keep in mind, as per my instructions, you will be dirtying each board a bit as you glue them down so I would rather see too many boards with a light paint coverage than too few... Call me if you have any questions.