visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Chalks and craft paints....

Being new to this I am collecting all the chalks that I will most likely be using. Seeing as how I haven't really done this before (been many years) I probably won't be mixing too much stuff up just yet. So my question for you guys is what are your go to colors?

I've already purchased the chalks that Brett recommended, and missed the one for the roof of Oniels, if I need one I might as well make an order for more.

Comments

• Testing a pic of my poor attempts on some practice materials... the green paint is ivy green.
  • Wonderful to see you posting Mike! As far as chalk colors are concerned - the list I have posted on my "university" link is my basic set. Different kits may require a specialty color like the red for the O'Neills roof but 90% of my chalk weathering utilizes the colors in the list. Here is the link for that list:

http://www.sierrawestscalemodels.com/university.html

Now since you have "craft paints" in your title I thought I would mention (as you know) that I developed a paint set with well know gaming and figure company Reaper Miniatures. While craft paints will certainly work with my kits, I offer a much higher quality set with colors specific to our needs as craftsman kit builders.
  • Testing a pic of my poor attempts on some practice materials... the green paint is ivy green.

no picture visible Mike, nor is there any code so if you want to try again great or give me a call...

• Have the reaper set that Brett offers, was just looking for any others that might be worthwhile. It's a very complete set, was surprised when I opened it up!

• admin said:

Testing a pic of my poor attempts on some practice materials... the green paint is ivy green.

no picture visible Mike, nor is there any code so if you want to try again great or give me a call...

I think it has to do with posting directly from my phone... currently no Internet service to the house... I followed the directions as posted, but as soon as I select a photo it just bumps me back to the forum without the photo
  • probably the file size is too big. Try an 800 px wide 72 dpi pic....
  • Got it.... needed to resize.... color is Ivy green
  • The last one is just chalks/rubbing alcohol and some AI solution.
  • No need for you to be concerned. You get it. Nice subtle weathering, nothing is overdone. Very well done! Keep at it...
  • I do like those decking boards, knots and nails are not over done, a few broken boards and the darkened edges blend well. Nicely done.

Karl.A
  • Thanks guys.... got a bit further with that one over the weekend, then it will be on to the good stuff!
  • Mike, I like the wethering on your clapboard. Subtile nail holes and few damaged and loose boards but nothing overdone like Brett said.
  • KKarns said:

Mike, I like the wethering on your clapboard. Subtile nail holes and few damaged and loose boards but nothing overdone like Brett said.

Thank you, I was hoping for more of a peeling paint look here, but I do like how it turned out.
  • engine909 said:

Mike, You have done some good reaping. Pretty cool having caring people comment on your work?

Thanks as well, I tend to be really hard on myself, as I want this to turn out well. For me these kits represent a sizable investment (well worth it) by the time all the auxiliaries get included, and I want to make sure I don't waste it lol!
  • The lighting gives the pic a yellow tone... couple minor details left, I want to practice signs like what would be on Oniels, and some more weathering with chalks. My second order of chalks will be here any day now.
  • edited April 2017
    Good precursor to the O'Neills build. Dull muted colors look great as do the dirty old windows. May want to try and show some foot traffic wear pattern to the front entrance decking a bit, appears to uniform in color and texture...nice color and texture just a bit uniform.
  • Thanks Ken, would you use more chalk there, or AI solution?
  • edited April 2017
    Its a pity that the quality of who-evers kit that is doesn't make it easy to judge the results, however....

Grab a chalk a little darker than the one used on the main decking and darken the floorboards in the doorway, think about where people would walk and where grime would be.

if you go too dark for your eye you can always blend it back in with the original floor colour.

Never be afraid, there is always a way back.

A/I is less controllable due to soaking in and wicking, for specific areas (such as the doorway) and patterns I would use chalk, for the edges of the deck where natural discolouration is required with seeping I would use A/I, carefully, build up slowly and review.
  • One little trick to try is put some darker chalf on your finger and lightly rub it over the area you want the traffic pattern, this will smooth the area slightly plus add the darker color...just as foot traffic would. Experiment on a small area first if you want to give it a go.
  • Sweet! Thank you very much! It will be Sierra West stuff from now on though.
  • Great tip Ken, the darkening along with the burnishing/smoothing would be perfect for high foot traffic areas.
  • Still practicing the techniques for these great Sierra West kits.... I just want to do them justice....20170429_160445-600x1067
    R
  • Hi Karl and Ken, wouldn't it be the other way around? On wood decking, wouldn't the high traffic be lighter because the foot traffic would wear the surface and any paint or stain on the decking would be rubbed off and expose the bare wood?
  • Hi Mike, I like you latest attempt for the peeling paint on your walls.
  • Sdrees,
    Sorry, I'm bad at names esp after being away for a while, I wish people would just leave their name at the end of their posts so I could reply more personably.

I would say, sdrees that it depends on the circumstance, and that we should use our experience to model accordingly, that is what separates a good model from a great model. The thinking things through.

For instance, if it is a retail outlet in town with painted decking then the paint would be worn off in the highest walking areas.

If it is a industrial area (workshop) with oil on the floor then this would be walked around and higher travelled areas would be darker.

If it is a generally a dirt covered area such as a saw mill then the decking would show trails of where the dirty boots had been the most, and therefor the trails should match the ground cover.

Basically what I'm saying is that there are infinite possibilities.

Wood ages in so many different ways, covered/uncovered, inside/outside etc.
    depending on the foot traffic results in different wear patterns/colours/effects....

It all comes down to the story for your model/area...

Are they wearing muddy boots/ oily footprints/ clean shoes etc, depends on what you are modeling for the result.

The story dictates the model, but the model tells the story.

Karl. A