visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

SW Twin Mills build with a little twist

...well, quite a few twists actually :)

But let's start at the beginning - I'm Nejc Roskar, I come from Slovenia in Europe (sounds familiar? Yes, Melania Trump is from the exact same country :D).
I'm building a logging layout, Logging at the turn of the 20th century. It's based somewhere in Slovenia, but logging machinery from USA will be used too. Railroad is based upon electrified logging railroad in Mislinja, Slovenia (you can see one picture of the locomotive here: http://www.rr-vel.si/mislinja/zgodovina.htm ). Rollling stock will mostly be scratchbuilt (well, it already is to be precise). There will be Victorian era town (plus a village including a few blacksmith shops with water driven machinery) on a module 4, here's a glimpse at the cobble stone streets:

slika01

Modules 3, 2 and 1 are main, logging ones. I'll build a large bandsaw mill and a small venetian sawmill on module 3:
slika02

...big machine shop, woodworking shop, steam electricity plant, and some smaller structures on module 2:
slika03

...and we finally arrive to module 1, which is reserved for SW Twin Mills:
slika04

Although I have quite a few SW kits, everything else on the layout will be scratchbuilt, but I'll use all the castings for details :)

I'll made many modifications, here's the list:

- adjusting the machinery to smaller logs
- fully detailed interior of the old sawmill
- lighting will be installed in both mills
- scratchbuilding or modifying new mill machinery
- adjusting everything, because of the small space available

Let's go to the pictures!

Front and rear wall of the old sawmill:
slika1

slika2

Modified side walls (those three openings at the left wall are due to the three steam engines:
slika3

Boiler house walls (for two boilers, both will be visible through open doors):
slika4

New sawmill floor:
slika5

Scratch built old sawmill floor:
slika6

slika7

Log haul:
slika8

slika9

Slightly modified front dock:
slika10

slika11

slika12

slika13

slika14

Slab bin:
slika15

New mill sorting platform, with one more speed reduction and slightly changed log deck machinery (similar to SW O scale one):
slika16

I scratch builded main saw (among others, using a lot of SW castings from other kits). First, the difference between new and weathered saw blades (using the same technique as Kevin and Bill, with dremel tool). I wanted it only slightly weathered:
slika17

Bottom saw during construction (note the sawdust conveyor for bringing sawdast to the boilers):
slika18

Finished bottom saw (husk), smaller top saw will be attached to the ceiling:
slika19

slika20

slika21

slika22

Log carriage machinery is based on Phillips Brothers Sawmill carriage (see here from 5:23 on: ):
slika23

Slika24

slika25

slika26

slika27

slika28

...that's it for now, I'm building with full steam, so expect next update soon! :)
Any comments are very welcome!

Best regards, Nejc

Comments

• Nejc
    A wonderful job on the mill you have gone to the limit.
    Carl
  • Wow Nejc, very nicely done. Love your wood treatment. Excellent attention to details, simply outstanding work...look forward to following along here...Ken
  • Outstanding Nejc! What a wonderful project. Your thoughtfulness to the overall project and weathering of the wood is fantastic. Looking very forward to seeing more of this mill come to life...
  • Nejc,
    I like the finishes you have created on your machinery. Very realistic. Glad to see your work.
    Mitch
  • Great start. Thanks for sharing.
  • Welcome Nejc. Very nice work and a lot of thought into the details. Your wood treatment and building is spot on. Thanks for sharing. Phil.
  • Thank you very much guys! :)

Currently I'm finishing the old mill machinery (husk, carriage, edger, rollers) + rollers in new sawmill. Next step will be upper husk in new mill and steam engines. Later two cut off saws and two overhead log turners (pulleys and friction cones will be visible in the new sawmill only) will be assembled...
  • Nejc, one other thing - when taking pictures, see if you can adjust your white balance to the blue side. The yellow of your pictures takes away the great detail you have achieved. Your picture of the bottom saw during construction is the look you want. If you are not sure what to do, click on "auto white balance." Phil
  • Wowzers. Theres some pretty fine modelling going on there Nejc. Please show us more.
  • Thanks Wes! :)

Phil, thanks for the advice :) I'm aware that those pictures didn't turn out very good and here's the reason - I took those pictures on my 4th module (Victorian town one), where I have dark clouds on the background and have adjusted lighting to rainy day. Here's the difference between this 4th module and other three, logging ones (where the weather will be partly cloudy):

Partly cloudy:
    Partly cloudy

...and cloudy, where I have taken those pictures:
    Cloudy

That picture of a bottom husk during construction was taken under my working light and I'll take some more pictures of some details and repost it...

Nejc
  • I understand. We just want to have the best view of your great work. Phil
  • Damn. A weather system for each module too. Impressive
  • Wes, it's nothing special, just different background and lighting. Here's another picture where three logging modules are visible (there's a smooth transition into very cloudy weather to the left, town module, but I don't have any picture at the moment):

slika0

...and here are better pictures with more or less same content as a few days ago:

Sorting platform:
    slika1

Carriage:
    slika2

Old mill front wall:
    slika3

Old mill front dock:
    slika4

Here's slightly changed pond dock:
    slika5

One of the walls for the boat house:
    slika6

Boiler house front wall:
    slika7

Log haul:
    slika8

And two shots of a bottom husk nearly done:
    slika9

slika10

Nejc
  • Really love the boiler house front wall door... outstanding!
  • Agree with Brett, very cool! Also, your wood coloring on the docks is spot on. I'm looking forward to seeing this all come together!
  • Your pictures are so much better. Now I can really see the detail of your work. Outstanding. Phil
  • Thank you all!
    Really cool to see such nice comments from the experts...
  • Progress - most of the sawmill machinery for both mills is built:

Carriage for the old mill:
    slika1

slika2

The hog/grinder:
    slika3

slika4

One of the live rolls:
    slika5

Another live rolls system:
    slika6

slika7

And trimmer (lifting system for the press rolls still to be added):
    slika8

slika9

slika10

I'll post pictures of everything built so far together in a few days :)

Best regards, Nejc
  • Once again Nejc, splendid work. You'll have such fun placing all that great equipment in your mill!
  • Excellent! Looking forward to seeing it all come together...
  • Ditto. Really good work. Phil
  • Thanks guys! :)

Yeah, it's really quite a joy placing everything together. Every part of the sawmill machinery that lays on the floor is done - I'll post pictures tomorrow, as promised. I'm currently working on the upper husk, next in line are two cut off saws and overhead log turner...

• edited February 2017
    It's not tomorrow yet, but I managed to find extra time to post following pictures (note that any missalignments might be due to the fact that many items aren't glued in place yet):

New mill floor:
    slika1

There's a driven conveyor belt leading into the hog. Same wheel that drives the hog also drives the conveyor up to the slab bin:
    slika2

Close up of the endless chain drive:
    slika3

I had to change the bottom husk a bit - at first I didn't take the falling (freshly cut) lumber at the back of the head saw into account:
    slika4

slika5

Live rolls behind the main saw:
    slika6

slika7

Better look to the carriage cable drive:
    slika8

slika9

With stairs added:
    slika10

slika11

Old mill floor:
    slika12

Same conveyor that drives off the excess sawdust from the bottom husk of the new mill, drives off the sawdust from the edger too:
    slika13

Old mill carriage:
    slika14

There will be only bottom husk here. Cable drive for the log buggy and slightly different carriage drive are visible here:
    slika15

Live rolls in the old mill:
    slika16

Pond, as it looks like at the moment:
    slika17

slika18

slika19

slika25

Old mill and new mill floors:
    slika20

slika21

slika22

slika23

slika24

You can see a lumber flow here:
    slika26
    Green one isn't a regular one, lumber is carried over to the live rolls that eventually lead to the edger only if really necessary...

That's it for now :)

Regards, Nejc
  • Fantastic work.
  • edited February 2017
    Wow, this is outstanding! Well thought out and will have a ton of visual interest.
    Coming along nicely
  • Wow!!!!!! What detail!! You should be very proud of your work. I am. Phil
  • Love the way it is all coming together.
    Joel
  • That is one comprehensive sawmill kit! Winderful work Nejc.
  • Thanks a lot guys! :) It's really cool to read such comments!

Ed, so glad you pointed this out :) Usually no one's ever heard of Slovenia, even some European citizens! I'm from Maribor, that's the second largest city here, right after Ljubljana. If someone ever comes here to visit, I would recommend lake Bled and it's surroundings. It's at the opposite side of the country as Maribor, but I visit it each year anyways, it's truly beautiful. Well, opposite side of the country here means 2.5 hour drive, believe it or not :)
    Despite being small, technical heritage is very rich in Slovenia, specially logging, ironworks and mining. For example, there were many logging railways here in the past and one of the main transportations for logs were logging cableways. There's one restored near Bled, although not working anymore. Those cableways were real technical achievement, designed by our engineer, Lambert von Pantz.

Regards, Nejc
  • That is really a nice looking Mill. Excellent workmanship.

Jerry