visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

BlueSky Company Warehouse HO/HOn3

edited January 2017 in HO Scale Builds
After much thought and contemplation I have decided that the BlueSky Company Warehouse will be my next build.

The things that draw me to BlueSky, other than the wonderful design and story here, are the wonderful modelers that have worked up BlueSky such as Brian Nolan, Mike Chambers, Dave Revelia, Karl Allison, Kevin O'Neill (Karl and Kevin had a big part in the O Scale Pilot Model I believe). These are just the ones I know of as I'm sure there are many more. Its also, as everyone knows, Brett's first SWSM Kit. I think it would be awesome to build this early kit incorporating the newer techniques that Brett has developed since BlueSky. In addition, I feel it a tribute to Brett and SierraWest Scale Models to bring this classic kit to life once again.

Unlike an official forum build like O'Neills, I will not be posting each and every step as I work through this wonderful kit. Rather I'll post progress photos and field questions and comments, if any, as I move along. My progress here is predicted to be slow as I am focusing my attention on the wood clinic and a few other projects. I will likely incorporate some features of the O Scale version and will point those out as they materialize. Would enjoy hearing from those that have built BlueSky and look forward to working through this build.

PC210017

Brett's first kit and his famous green box that started the SierraWest Scale Model legacy...

Comments

• Wow. Having fun on the wood weathering thread. I'll be following this closely as well. I don't think I knew this was the first kit. I'm a latecomer to the SW kits, but so glad I found them.
  • Glad you're finding the wood clinic useful, thanks. Right Carl, this was Brett's first kit with its debut in 1995. So I have built Brett's latest Kit, O'Neills Fabrication, and now embarking on his first...how cool is that?
  • I'll be following along Ken. Definitely a favorite kit of mine.
  • Glad to hear that Steve, did you build BlueSky or just love the look like I do?

I'm holding it right now Ed! Thanks for your support Ed and aim to do this kit justice as I feel every SWSM kit deserves, and that is our best efforts.
  • Oh my...a deadline...? I'd love to have it done by then, so we'll see what kind of progress I'm able to make. I'd like to make it a goal rather than a deadline...that sounds better doesn't it. I might bring it regardless as I'd love to see builds even if they aren't done. Stimulates much conversation and many good suggestions.
  • I've never built it Ken but it's always been on my wish list. I've built Foss Landing, The Shipyard and my current progress on Quincy/O'Neills. I have a Scotia Supply in the queue as well. I'd really like to build it in O scale but I'm avoiding that urge until I finish my layout.
  • Ken, take your time on this kit. You will be a serious "best in show" contender with O'Neills. I'll be following along.
  • I think my internal clutch slips anyway...even though I tell myself I need to get more done in a shorter period of time...I seem to never get any faster! I write it off to...I love to work on this stuff so I unconsciously savor the moments. Appreciate your vote of confidence on O'Neills, we'll see...not sure yet what I'm going to do there yet.
  • KKarns said:

I think my internal clutch slips anyway...

I unconsciously savor the moments.

Perfect statement. It shows in the work you do. Very "mindful" to unconsciously savor.

Carl
  • Well Carl at times I get a bit philosophical about this stuff as anyone who loves what they are doing should...I think I enjoy and take so much time and energy working on the wood for my structures from the realization that this will likely be the one and only time I will build this particular wall for this particular SierraWest structure for this particular SierraWest Kit. Heavy stuff...but it's true. So, I just completed the front wall for the main Barn for BlueSky. In all probability, that will be the last time I ever do that! So why not take the time and effort to make it as nice as I possibly can...weather its good or not I feel good about the work I put into it. Geesh...on and on...
  • Yep...... perfect
  • Thanks for your response Carl. Funny...whenever I get talking like this things go profoundly quite! I think everyone is wondering...is Ken OK?
  • You seem to be on the same wave length as I am. Hmmmmm, maybe no one else is okay. As a musician attention to detail is what keeps you hired. It only follows that attention to detail while modeling will keep not only your interest but will interest others. The BlueSky you build will reflect your passion (or lack of passion). Might as well have a philosophical bent about it.
  • Oh BlueSky is going to be one hell of a build! But I say that about all the projects I start. Glad you don't find my sentiments goofy or racked with uncontrolled dribble. Also appreciate someone being on the same page...see what I mean about the posts...it's just you and I Carl...remember, never, ever, leave your wing man.
  • Ken, I'm here.....kind of. Humongous neck headache all day since I woke up so I'll be back with something later.

Geezerbill
  • Sorry to hear that Bill. Look forward to it.
  • Ken
    I was thinking about doing BlueSky along with you I was just wondering do you and I have the same run.
    Then I thought about Eureka Springs Engine House still trying to decide what to do, Then there the Logging Camp Essentials would kick start my layout with the mill.
    Help me decide.
    Thank's CarlP1010534
    P1010532
    P1010535
  • edited January 2017
    Mine is an early kit with all resin castings. Aint it fun deciding! Well I think you doing BlueSky along with me would be very cool. As I eluded to, my posts may be infrequent so between the two of us maybe we could keep folks interested. It would also be fun to see how each us will work this thing up. However, you have priority issues to sort out as well so just let me know what you decide...I vote for BlueSky...
  • engine909 said:

Carl, Ken already picked his color, you may have to go with pink. Sorry.
    ed

poifect
  • I am into Clear Coat.
    Carl
  • (classical)
  • I built the O scale version of this Ken and loved it. Going to follow this with great interest.
  • Thanks Ed, should be fun.

Wes, I was meaning to ask you about that. Thought I may have seen your build of the O Scale BlueSky somewhere before, but before I decided to work up my HO version. message me about where you posted your build...glad you'll be following.
  • WesWes
    edited January 2017
    Ken this is as far as I got before the diorama got trashed during a move by the removal idiots. All I have left are the castings and the tractors. The rest had to be dumped.

Im so bummed I never got to finish. If the rand dollar rate ever gets better, id love to get my hands on another.

20129184567_1_02
    20129184571_1_03
    20129185028_1_07
    201291845455_1
    201291845757_1_04
  • What a heartbreaking loss. It was looking so good.
  • Wes, great build here, your corrugated looks wonderfully done. Color tines of the barn and shed a great...just really like what you did with it. Such a shame to have it destroyed like that. Hope you received compensation for the loss. Thanks for taking the time to post these pictures.
  • edited January 2017
    I am wrapping up the Wood Clinic so attention now is focused on BlueSky. I have done a good bit of research on BlueSky through scouring the wonderful O Scale pilot model featured on the web-site, other builds I have come across through internet searches, a great set of pictures of a terrific O Scale build by Wes, a few discussions with Brett, and Brett's first beautiful full page, full color, right hand page ad in the December 1995 issue of Model Railroader magazine. I searched out the issue and purchased a copy just to have that ad. In fact, I am looking for another issue so I can cut out and frame that ad to go along with my finished diorama of BlueSky!

First step in any classic or otherwise SierraWest Scale Model kit is to open the box and see what we've got!

PC220004

After the protective wrapping was removed the box was opened...shot of the paper packing still in its original position...

PC220005

I was first greeted by the holy grail of each SWSM kit...the bible...oop sorry...manual. This was ceremoniously removed and carefully set aside for attention later. The box must be inventoried for completeness being purchased on the secondary market as there is always that chance something was removed and not put back in the box...a risk worth taking on these classic kits.

PC220006

With the manual safely set aside the remainder of the contents are ready for inspection.

PC220007

Ah...ha...gotcha! thought I'd go right for the casting didn't ya? Remember I love working with the wood so that's the first order of business. Bags 1-10 of clean, sorted, labeled, and actually some pre-cut stripwood and scribed siding.

PC220010

OK...now the castings. In discussing a bit of the history of BlueSky with Brett, he explained that it was quite the event in the modeling world to have a craftsman kit with all resin castings. Modelers were a bit jaded by the poor quality resin castings up to this point. However, Brett set the standard for resin castings with BlueSky and never looked back!

As I work through this build I will feature some of the individual castings. So, on we go to step number 2...as follows...

IMG_0456

That's right...you knew step 2 already...
  • Definitely one of the best parts of a build Ken. Sorting out all those great details and seeing what cool things Brett came up with for the kit. I was a bit apprehensive about the resin castings when I first saw a Sierra West kit but now I know it's the best medium for details. Those heavy lead castings always want to fall off the side of a building or chip and show the metal when they simulate wood.
  • I agree Steve, I spend a great deal of time on this phase of the build as you mention.

Your point is well taken and one of the reasons I decided to build Brett's first kit. As you know, I just completed his newest kit, O'Neills Fabrication and look forward to building this classic kit, taking into account the knowledge of the newer techniques. Brett's casting philosophy has evolved over the years to that of a finely tuned machine! I'll tell you though, those resin castings from 1995 are as crisp and clean as they can be. Back to that wall that only has 7 boards on it over 3 nights work! You'll see why later on...
  • edited January 2017
    The BlueSky kit in HO/HOn3 boasts 5 main structural components/themes...there's the Office and Dry Goods, Cut-Stone Cook House, Old Shed, and the original Shelby's Barn. The vertical Barn siding is constructed over card stock templates, and that's where I started the build. Following much angst, I decided on a rather darker color barn siding than has been traditionally done with this build. The late Mike Chambers did a rather dark siding for his work up of BlueSky.

I started with the front of the barn and after detailing my stripwood, began laying out the wall. The entire bottom of the front wall is covered by a loading dock so my treatment of the board ends along the bottom front are minimally detailed (i.e. won't show).

IMG_0476

The barn front wall with my stripwood "hung" about half way. I also started the left barn wall and the loft rear as shown. Brett utilized the ingenious "stripwood traps" from his very first kit here that provide a near perfect corner where two walls meet.

The Barn is the original structure of the BlueSky Company Warehouse complex. As such, I wanted the barn to be fairly weathered. Not beaten down just well worn and minimal repairs. Since Brett sold this kit, albeit 22 odd years ago, it's mine now! As a result I decided I wanted some heavily weathered areas mostly in the corners where a gutterless roof would allow water and rot to take hold. But only at the bottom, the rest of the structure will be in reasonably good shape. I love the look of rotten damaged boards near the ground with the original framing peeking through. You know the look I'm sure. The stripwood over card stock makes this a bit of a challenge. So, I carefully laid out my side wall and at the corner cut out a chunk of the card stock and added a section of framing (see figure 1). This would allow me to detail the board ends and allow the simulated wall framing to show through.

IMG_0770

(figure 1) Note the stripwood framing spliced into where a piece of the card stock template was carefully removed.

I then proceeded to layout my detailed strip wood for this corner (figure 2). I will have something similar in a couple other corners but not as significant as this one. Although it appears large...I guess...it is not in a highly visible area and will be one of those nifty details that you have to look for!

IMG_0773

(figure 2)

Note the framing peeking through the siding. The black paint along the bottom edge serves to hide the card stock template where my detailed board ends may gap, have small missing pieces, etc..

More later...