visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

HO Scale O'Neills Fabrication Official Forum Build

Comments

• WOW- Am really impressed with your great craftsmanship and how you pulled it all together. It looks like the real thing! A great inspiration for the rest of us to work harder at trying to use your great techniques and hope for comparable results. Thanks for all your photos and comments as you worked thru the build
  • Hi Dr. Grunge,
    Waiting for your detail shots to comment on. Overall it looks as dry and dull as it could be and that's good. Is that a rug on the railing I see?
    Mitch
  • At a way Brett!...kind of my thought and again I think it's my style of modeling and what I like so to change up would only happen if I liked the result and the work getting there.

So...as I promised I have some more images that are a bit more detailed of different scenes and things I'd like to point out. Again, if tired of looking...fast forward...

IMG_0288

This is one of my favorite scenes...the burn barrel. Brett designed this scene into O'Neills and it's wonderful. That wood and the stuff in the barrel is actual burnt wood and ash I made. Note the red bottle, extra step taken to drill out the top making a hole to look like a hollow bottle.

IMG_0290

I actually, at the suggestion of my wife Cathy, attempted to model a braided rug!...first in modeling history...maybe...probably not but there it is...such as it is...not sure it will remain depends on the number of goofahs I get!

IMG_0307CU

Another view of same...

IMG_0330CU

Addition stairway and scrap yard. Mailbox "planted" next to the stairs. Note the details under the addition.

IMG_0339

Shot of those wonderful boiler casting Brett supplies. I had a blast working those up.

IMG_0353CU

Near field shows cut boilers I made from the styrene tubbing supplied with O'Neills. I cut the sections and then used my #11 blade to impart the "seam" then used a fine point awl to make the simulated welds. Note the cut down pieces on the pallets ready to send of for some cash.

IMG_0354CU

View from the other side highlighting the old fence and associated details.

IMG_0362

I decide to build up the area along the diorama by the tree with some rock outcrop and the old wire fence. Fence is ship rigging string weathered with chalk. Fence posts are made from small twigs. Loco and Service Shops I made barbed wire, here just plain wire.

IMG_0344

Another view showing the rock work to the right of the tree.

IMG_0360

One last look at these great pole lights Brett designed into O'Neills. The shade were slightly modified by carefully carving out the inside to form a concave surface. Primed with brown then painted green on upper surface and white on the reflector side, scraped and rusted the shade and installed a light build made from a thin styrene rod and Epoxy.

• The Pictures would make great wall art in a gallery just outstanding there my friend you have done this kit very proud, And give your self a good pat on the back for all of your time and thought while building this kit.
    Carl
  • Ken

The model is fantastic. I cannot say enough. Is the tree made from the tumbleweed you found in Arizona?
  • I have no words to describe how beautiful your work is Ken. Your attention to detail is amazing and the way you think out of the box really sets you apart from the rest.

I cant wait to see your next project bud. Well done.
  • The quality photos along with the exemplary modeling really make this such a great build
  • Ken, what you have done, like Bill and other master builders on the forum like Karl, Alan, Mike and Carl, is create great reference material for your fellow builders. At first I was intimidated by what the master builders produced, but now I view it as a standard against which to compare. The best thing is that I can contact any master builder about a particular component of their build and they would be happy to help me achieve the same look. You just can't get this collaboration anywhere else. Keep the pictures coming. Also, I would love for you to do a detailed, Karl-like tutorial on your weathering and rusting approaches. You have a unique style which I would love to copy shamelessly. Phil
  • Bravo! Absolutely gorgeous work! I love the little pathways and driveways that connect your mini-scenes.
    You should take a short break and get a clinic put together (seriously). Time to give back to the hobby!
    Again, well done my friend!
  • Novice, your certainly welcome and thanks so much for the comments and following along.

Mitch, posted a few more detail shots and if anyone wants a closer look at anything just let me know.

Carl, thanks again and coming from a seasoned veteran in the modeling world I appreciate it. As I mentioned the planning is a good bit of the fun and one I prescribe to heavily.

sdrees, thanks much and yes, I cut a bunch of armatures from a select sage bush and another species which I'm not sure what it was.

Wes, I always look forward to your comments and input, thanks very much. Not sure yet what my next project will be. I have a packed stable of classic SWSM kits that are begging to get worked on. Wonder if its like Toy Story...when we turn the lights out in our shop, do the SWSM kits all jockey around on the shelf to a position they hope will be the next one you pick!

Ed, Altoona here we go...long way off yet...sad face...I know you were messin with me on the Loco, but a vehicle will be there for sure. Still thinking inn the rolling stock and service pole. Service pole probably...

Thanks George. The images were taken with my iPhone 6s and is a vast improvement over my digital camera I used before.

Phil, I think you said it very well and described the essence of this forum. Your points, as well as the general camaraderie, is spot on why we're here. I'm honored that you and others might like to see some tutorials. I'll start working on that and have promised a wood tutorial as a pilot of sorts. Thanks Phil.

Hey Bill, thanks for wading in here and you know how much I value your opinions and critique. Right, as I mentioned to Phil...I have promised a wood tutorial which is set to be my next project. Thanks again Bill and would enjoy hearing what you've been up to.

Ed, thanks very much and you are so right that Brett should be pleased as the creation of O'Neills was genius. His guidance through his manual, pilot model, and personal communications are what sets the stage for our builds. Could I have scratch built O'Neills?...not on your life! Couldn't and wouldn't want to try. The real work here was the research and concept that created O'Neills and the intricacies of bringing a kit to fruition. That my friends is where the value of the SWSM line of products lies. Thanks from all of us Brett for that.
  • Ken, finally I'm back, after many days of computer problems!! Before it locks up again I want to thank you for sharing your wonderful modeling of O"Neills and the tutorials along the way. The photos are so great as is the modeling. Just such a wonderful model and we so appreciate all the effort you took to share. I'm really looking forward to your upcoming tutorials. I completely agree with Phil's comments above and echo them as well.

Geezerbill
  • Awfully nice of you Bill and thank you very much. It was a thrill to be asked to put together this build and loved every minute I spent on it. Much satisfaction to see it finished and all the positive feed-back. I'm giving the idea of the tutorials much thought and we'll see how that progresses. Thanks again...Ken
  • I keep looking at your pictures and don't know whether I should build my kit or just give it to you in despair. When I get the chance to hit the bench I start off at the "put your feet up, grab your coffee and ponder how to go about tackling the project" step as you describe. However, I get stuck at the "lather, rinse, repeat" stage and keep getting coffee and putting my feet up every time I head to the workbench. Always saddling-up is me.

Wonderful work Ken. You've really got "the eye."

Bill S.
  • Bill, are you sure your feet are were they're suppose to be, and the coffee is...well it works for me...most of the time! Hey, your step one is a good one...we all get to the point where we just can't get moving past one stage or another...something has to fire up our modeling mojo...this forum helps me tremendously. I start checking out the build threads and off I go...Thanks for the note Bill, really appreciate it. Hopefully talk to you in Altoona...Ken
  • Ken,
    I had not known you were building this. I haven't even started my kit yet, still finishing up on my scratchbuild of the FSM kit Sewall's Foundry (posted on the R.R.Line Forum). But all I can say is WOW! You have done an excellent job on this model, and have enjoyed the last hour looking at everything you've done, and have gleaned a few ideas too :-). I agree with George, I think you have that Greenberg touch. He was also a great inspiration for me, and still is.
  • Tony B! You're back baby!
  • edited December 2016
    Well thank you very much Tony, really nice hearing from you. Was wondering what you've been up to. O'Neills was a wonderful kit to build with so much character...you'll love working on it. Make sure you start a build thread here when you get rolling. Thanks again for the kind words and look forward to hearing from you and following along on your O'Neills...Ken
  • Hey Carl, yes, I am. I dropped in once in a while, but more so to see what Brett's up to.

Ken, your welcome. I'd love to share some progress on O'Neills, but I am afraid you have set the bar pretty high, not sure I can reach it, but I will try.
  • Nonsense Tony, your work is top shelf and would be welcome build thread here. I love seeing your take on all the details.
  • edited December 2016
    KKarns said:

Nonsense Tony, your work is top shelf and would be welcome build thread here. I love seeing your take on all the details.

Thanks Ken, Awfully nice of you to say.
  • KKarns said:

Sorry for the lack of activity on O'Neills, I have been on a vacation in AZ. Will be getting back to work this week. Picked up a nice tree armature out in the desert to use on the diorama. More on that later...Ken

Where in Arizona? I'm in Cottonwood, near Sedona. What kind of "armature". Curious how you used it.

• We started out near Tucson and then made are way up to Sedona. Spent 3 days in Sedona (neighbors for a few days). I collected some sage brush armatures to make the tree for O'Neills (see photo).

IMG_0338

IMG_0343
  • Sedona is special. I thought those were sage branches. Have some growing in my front yard. Yours look great.
  • I wonder how the tower would look with a slate roof.
  • There ya go...now you went and did it!...you'll now have to build one and see....
  • I have the O scale kit. Just waiting on time to get it started. Unfortunately wont be any time soon. I am going to do a slate experiment though to see how it looks.
  • I really enjoyed your build. And I learned a lot. Looking forward to you coming to the NG convention in Denver and giving us lessons.

And why are you loafing? Where is the next build? More lessons. Quit wasting time sleeping at night.

Thanks for a great thread on this build.
  • Well I appreciate that Jerry and O'Neills was wonderful kit to work up that's for sure. Happy to hear the thread was useful. Not loafing just work slow! Currently working on Brett's first kit introduced some 22 yewars ago, HO/HOn3 BlueSky Company. Built his latest...now building his first...Ken
  • Hi all,
    New SierraWest and to this forum.
    Just received the HO version of O'Neills Fabrication from Brett.
    His videos and instruction manual are the best I have seen.
    Can't wait to start this project and getting pointers/suggestions from others.

Thanks,

Pappy