visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Welcome to the Off-Topic Forum!

A Forum for SWSM Members to discuss anything they want non-modeling related. Examples include Sports, Outdoor Grilling, Cigars, Spirits, Travel, etc... No offensive material including politics will be allowed. Lets keep it lighthearted and enjoyable for all members.

Comments

• OK lets start it off I am a little bit out there so you can start by picking on me.

Carl
  • Well Carl, yes we all know you are a bit out there and that's why we love you... But this forum isn't for picking on you - its to talk about how incredible the Rangers and Nats did this year... stuff like that!
  • engine 909 posted the following:

Well, please excuse me for opening my big mouth after yesterday mornings four nothing foursomes lead for U.S.A.. At 74 you would think I would know better. Wrong! The European team has made an amazing comeback. Brother it is loud here. U.S.A. players have told the crowd to cool it many times. After 90 degree weather every day in Fl., we are loving the 70 degrees. I hope no one minds my off topic comments. If I offend, please tell me, I will stop. Respect is very important to me.

• engine 909 posted the following:

60,000 going crazy at Hazeltine. Barb and I have been here since 7:30am. This is not your fathers golf. When have you heard Prince being played through the loudspeakers? I ask for some Dylan. It will get loud. And the outfits in the crowd are a trip.
    I don't think the Europeans can pull off a "Heartbreak at Hazeltine", like they did at Medinah (Miracle of Medinah). American team is too deep.
    Patrick Reed and Rory McIlory lead it off. McIlory asked to go first, he know Coach Love would put Reed out first, and wanted to take him down. No love lost between USA fans and McIlroy.
    Golf fans enjoy.
  • how about my cubs? lead the league from wire to wire and now......
    i'm afraid to say it.
  • I think everybody is a Cubs fan this year unless they're up against their team.
  • It'll all be ok if the Nats win their NLDS...
  • A very cool part of the forum indeed Brett. Being from South Africa I have no real clue about your guys main sports but if the topic of surfing, cricket or mountain biking pops up ill be sure to chime in.

On the topic of spirits, I certainly love craft beer and whiskey. Infact im looking forward to getting home this afternoon and ending the week off with a beer and large rump steak on the braai. (barbecue)
  • Lol...nope...too cold - 51 degrees. Watching this one from home tonite.
  • Had a funeral today so gave them to my buddy...who after that gesture, now is indebted to me for life.

• engine909 said:

Oh man, and I thought that was you next to Bill Murray.

All I saw next to Billy M was a very pretty younger brunette... dancing along with the old man. I suppose that was his "assistant".

• admin said:

engine909 said:

All I saw next to Billy M was a very pretty younger brunette... dancing along with the old man. I suppose that was his "assistant".

Maybe that's what you need?? No then would never get anything done!!

Jerry

• Jerry said:

admin said:

engine909 said:

Maybe that's what you need?? No then would never get anything done!!

Jerry

uhmmmmm. no, I definitely don't need that...
  • That toss from Ross wasn't too shabby either!
  • Lol...unfortunately for B-Man, the Dodgers will be playing my Cubs.
  • I'm also going with the Cubs Alan.

Here's an interesting story, at least for Cub fans. Many, many years ago when I was about 7-8 years old. Not sure exactly, my Dad took me to a San Diego Padres Spring training game in Ontario, Ca. (WE lived in a San Diego suburb). I was down near the dugout trying to get autographs and hopefully a ball. A few autographs but no ball. An older gentleman asked me if I wanted a ball. I said I sure would. He told me to wait there, he was going back to his room and get me one. So I waited right there and after a while, sure enough, he came back with a ball with autographs all over it. He told me it was from the Cubs winning team in the year...... I can't remember the year but it was the late 30's. My Dad said it would be valuable someday so he put it in a plastic stand/cover and told me not to handle it.
    I still have it, although the ink has mostly disappeared, which is really to bad. I looked up the Cubs record and the team members once and I think it came from 1937-38. Right in there close. I believe they won the National League pennant that year?? Someone closer to the Cubs would know. I thought it was a great jester on the gentleman's part to give up this ball for a young kid he didn't know. I don't know his connection to the Cubs but at the time Rip Collins was manager of the Padres and his name was on the ball. Some others I remember are: Stan Hack, Billy Jürgen, Billy Herman and I think Tony Lazaro. I don't recall Dizzy Dean, a 38 member, but who knows.

Anyway it is interesting now as the Cubs are doing so well and I look back at that day I can remember so well but......what day is it today?

Bill
  • What a great forum! Imagine a forum with cool topics like baseball and golf, and nothing about what the weather is and what you had for breakfast. I love it. Go Tribe. I have a baseball I had autographed in 1948 at the Cleveland Indians spring training site in Tucson- and no hanging around the park after the game to get them- my Dad took me to the hotel bar that night where many of them hung out. Bob Lemon, Bob Feller, Mickey Vernon, Tris Speaker, Hank Greenberg, Ken Keltner, Allie Clark, Lou Boudreau (player-manager). Bill Veeck was owner and general manager. Speaker and Greenberg must have been scouts.
  • Great stories gents...
  • Wonderful story Mike! How great to have a ball with those guys autographs. Really nice. I remember those guys you mentioned. The Padres were a farm club of the Indians then if I remember correctly, or close to it. Dad and I went to one of their games in San Diego and I was able to get a bunch of signatures on the program...no ball darn it... but I remember the big names like Feller, Lemon, Garcia, Boudrean, Al Rosan, Jim Hegan, Ray Boone. And boy did they have a rotation!

About the weather... We in the Pacific Northwest are bracing for two consecutive storms with tons of rain and VERY high winds. In the Pacific right now off the coast, the winds are at Cat. 2 level. There's the latest in weather from here.

Bill
  • Man, the place was crazy last night. Thought Wrigley was going to come down on everyone when we hit the Grand Slam.
  • Due to the Jay's having a lot of X Mariner's I have to root for them. Sorry Mike! But for the NL its go Cubs. I'll miss the game tonight as its my son's birthday get together. He came home last night from business in Hawaii in the height of our wind storm. At least the plane landed ok, thank God.

Bill
  • Well Mike I think your right it looks like the Indians with there throw away manager might win after all.

Remember Francona managed the Philles and they fired him, went to Boston won two World Series and they fired him, went Cleveland and now a chance to win another World Series.

Jerry
  • Yep, the Tribe is going to win. Good for them, they are out playing the Jay's.

Bill
  • Been really enjoying the games... never seen that much blood!!!
  • I tend to forget how great play-off baseball can be. These games are really fun watching. During regular season Twins games I can be at my modeling space on the kitchen counter and rarely have to turn around and watch the very occasional time the Twins do something good. But these games I really get into- more so the AL because the pace seems to be much better. No excuse for the four hour NL nine inning games.

Even the post-game show is entertaining although I suspect Pete and A-Rod are really the jerks I've always thought them to be.

ed- I will definitely be at the Denver NNGC. Looking forward to meeting a bunch of you there. I will have a couple of tables in Denver as I am chairing the group that will host the 2018 convention the following year in the Twin Cities. So everybody put that on your calendars as well. Also, where and when did you pitch?

And, have there been any Bill Obenauf sightings? Usually after water skiing is done for the season he turns up to wow us with a modeling feat or two, but not this year. I did hear in one hobby shop that he has taken up stamp collecting. I hope not- he is scheduled to be a fellow clinician at the 32nd Sn3 Symposium in St. Louis, MO April 6-8th 2017.

• Bill stamp collecting. I hear he's taken to knitting sweaters for little people!!

Jerry
  • Great bio Ed, and really glad you're here. Enjoy your participation and camaraderie. You need to get modeling and show us some stuff!
  • I echo Ken's comments Ed. Great to have you here and your participation to the group.

Bill