visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

SWSM Loco and Service Shops (1:87 scale)

Here are a few pictures of my finished SierraWest Scale Models Loco and Service Shops diorama in HO Scale. I will follow these pictures with some additional detailed shots of strategic locations around the diorama which measure 24" x 15" and includes features that illustrate my personal take on this wonderful kit. image

Comments

• I honestly cannot believe the dio is HO Scale... just fantastic. No wonder it took best of show.
  • Obviously the product of a cluttered mind; a marriage made in heaven!
  • This is fantastic. So much to see and marvel at. The extra additions of the power line and chain across the road are subtle, yet realistic improvements to an already outstanding diorama. Thanks for the inspriation.
  • Totally Awesome Kenny! Your best work yet...and that's tough for me to say since I really love your Duluth build...

Thanks for sharing!
  • Quite an honor to hear that Brett, thanks and truly a combined effort. I appreciate the help you gave me and your call on taking out that longer spur track and replacing it with a road, and adding just a very short section coming in from the other direction was great.

Mike, so right...thanks.

Bryan, Thanks for that and always nice when the smaller subtile things are noticed and appreciated. I'm sure all of you have experienced the same thing when you get into one of Brett's kits. You begin creating so many mini scenes in your mind, like Mike mentioned above "product of a cluttered mind", that it gets in your psyche and it's hard to know when to stop!

Alan, appreciate that and I enjoy reference to my Duluth build as that was a real pleasure to work up and set the stage for the Loco Shop diorama.

So what I think I'm going to do is post a few detail shots periodically and make comments on each as I go along. Put up with this for awhile and I'll put this thing to bed!

I had scratch built a small shed based on the design of Brett's in the Donkey Repair Yard kit to use with my SWSM Duluth Trading Company diorama. I decided not to use it there but felt it worked in perfectly here. Was also going to bring a long spur track in from the opposite direction of the small track with the somewhat modified Bonus Shop Car that Brett offered as a companion to the Loco and Service Shops you see on the left. I talked with Brett regarding this and he astutely advised against that and recommend the short spur track you see here. What a great call. Rather than the longer track he mentioned a road with fence would define that area and add visual interest. Another spot on call.

So here you see the speeder or small utility car shed with a scratch built car flanked by one of Bretts oil tank castings. To the left is the Shop Car under repair with the cable coiled along side and the crane hook on the deck.

Close up of the repair shed and details.

Good shot of the slightly modified Bonus Shop Car Brett made available as a companion to the Loco and Service Shop

This is a view of the back of the water tower and sand house/coaling area. Didn't notice until after the picture the coal bucket fell off the jib crane hook when moving the diorama.

View of what I believe is the signature scene for the Loco and Service Shops...the beautiful Oil Tank and all the wonderful delivery piping. Such a great feature Brett included in this great kit.
  • Simply an outstanding model that's about as flawless as one could hope to see. And yes, it's HO!
    'Best in Show' and then some!

Well done, Ken
  • Ken, once again, a really wonderful model. Most of the possible superlatives have been used. Congratulations. I find myself thinking "What can the guy do for an encore?"
  • Ken, thanks for the details and commentary. It will be extremely useful for folks as they build this kit, not to copy what you did, but to give them ideas about the possibilities. As I have found out, the possibilities are limitless as long as you give it some thought. If you are not sure, just reach out to the forum and get their ideas. I can't wait to see what you do with O'Neills. Phil
  • Hey Bill...your a good man and I certainly respect your critique and am honored to have you say that. It was great seeing you at the EXPO and appreciate you keeping all the SWSM forum gang in line when we were there...somebody has to!

Hi Mike, as Bill, I highly respect your thoughts and comments. Coming from a top shelf modeler as you means so much. It was really nice seeing you at the EXPO and talking with you in the contest room. Would have enjoyed more time to "talk shop" but you are in high demand at these events!

Phil, thanks for confirming that the plethora of pictures is useful as I don't want to go overboard but it is a decent size diorama with many "mini scenes" that may stir up ideas as you mentioned. So hopefully the following pictures don't elicit a "here we go again"...
    Ken

Detailed shot of the service pole and associated parts and clutter at the front of the Loco Shop. There is a support cable running from the pole to the building and then two wires are loosely wrapped around the support cable and then enter the conduit on the side running down to the service boxes. Note the individual wires running into the conduit with the weather cap on the top.

• Hey Ken, if you get a minute, could post some pictures of your removable roof? The little magnet idea was really clever and could probably be useful to anybody else planning on taking their roof off for interior viewing.

Thanks!
  • Absolutely...I'll get some good pictures of how the thing was put together. I have some detail shots to post of the roof detail anyway so that will be a good time to do that...thanks Bill.
  • Yeah Ken. What Bill said. Pictures of the interior please.

And could you please send me an email to wlsartore at microlumina dot com so that I can reply with some questions. I'm gathering info for a project and need your input.

Thanks,

The Other Bill
    (slim)
  • Thanks much "Slim", and nice hearing from you. I'll e-mail you soon.

• Here is one of my favorite views of the Loco and Service Shops. This is the back of the Car Shop and such a great combination of finishes Brett has applied here.

In discussing the addition of the road instead of a long spur track, Brett recommended putting in a fence as I mentioned previously. I have not seen barbed wire modeled in 1:87 very effectively before so I thought that would be a good thing to try. So here are the results of my attempt at a barbed wire fence. I think it turned out plausible at anything but a real close scrutiny.

• Absolutely stunning work in every aspect of this build Ken.
    The barbed wire is more than plausible, its incredible, especially in HO.

Karl.A
  • Thanks for taking the time to post these wonderful images and comments. As I have said before, your work is incredible. When I looked at the images yesterday, I was going to request a view of the barbed wire fence as we had discussed the wire size toward the conclusion of your building this diorama. It turned out way better that I envisioned. Super work.
    Another thing that I think contributes to the overall outstanding "Best of Show" treatment of this great kit is your treatment of the electrical supply to the building - great utility pole with transformer, wire leading to the extremely well done service with its service head, meter box and what I assume is the outside fuse box (I didn't see, but could have missed the ground rod :) ). Rarely have I seen details done in such a believable manner.
    Again Ken, you have given us something to strive for.

David U
  • Ken, I love the various textures and materials you used throughout the diorama. Thank you for sharing these pictures which have become a great tutorial for me on fine scale modeling. Congratulations on an outstanding build!
    Steve F
  • Thanks much Karl. I'm really pleased that the barbed wire fence looks good to an eye such as yours! That was certainly a goal of this build, albeit small, but to me a significant stride.

David, Your very kind indeed and thank you. I remember the conversations regarding the barbed wire very clearly and as I mentioned to Karl, I'm thrilled that my friends here find it worthy. I'm happy you mentioned the electrical service detail as this was one of my favorite additions and was a bunch of work but loved every minute. Dude...ground rod! you got me...should have included that and obviously forgot David was in the house! Fun stuff...thanks again.

Steve, Nice hearing from you. I appreciate your thoughts and happy to hear from at least one more fellow builder that's not bored with too many pictures...thanks...Ken
  • Last few shots before wrapping this up.

Restricted access road to the machine shop.

Burn barrel detail. I love this feature and I had used this on my Duluth build but it all came together after Karl gave me some excellent pointers on creating realistic burnt residue and used it around the coal burning stove inside the Loco Shop.

Rear of the shop car work shed and the wonderful oil tank casting of Brett's. So this is the last images I plan to post. If anyone wants any additional pics of anything I would be happy to throw them up here. Thanks for following my Loco and Service Shops build, and on to the next one...Ken
  • Hey man!!! Speaking on behalf of both 'Bill's...
    What about those detachable roof and interior shots?
  • Yeah, me too. I would love to see how you rigged your lighting and the magnetic roof catches...
  • Oops! Sorry guys, I do remember promising some explanation of the removable roof section and lighting...

The first couple are close up shots of the roof detail.

Main stack detail. I added some welds to give the look of it having been put together like stove pipe.

The removable panel is the one with the main stack attached. Small magnets were attached to pieces of 1/8 inch square wood and fastened to the side of the framing. These had to be carefully set back at the proper distance to allow the metal pieces attached to the roof panel to connect to each other.

Here is a close up of the small magnet piece glued to the stripwood and then in turn glued to the framing of the wall.

I made a display stand for the roof panel when removed out of acrylic stands glued to a wood base.

Not very pretty but doesn't have to be as it does not show. Simple pre-wired 3 LED set with push button on/off switch and powered by a 9-volt battery. Lighting the interior of the Loco Shop was decided late in the build and thus did not allow for the more involved lighting with goose necks, task lighting etc. I did so much work on the interior I wanted at least some general lighting.

Here are the thin metal pieces glued to the roof panel that the magnet grabs to secure the roof panel in place.

This is why I went to the trouble to design the magnet attachments for the roof panel. I wanted to ensure a perfect tight fit at the ridge line and with just the panel set in place there were gaps which were unacceptable. So with the magnets in place the fit was good a seen here

Not a very good picture but serves to illustrate the general lighting that was achieved. More detailed interior images can be viewed under my Loco and Service Shops HO Scale Builds thread...Ken
  • Darn clever my man...
  • Well Brett, it did work and I was happy about that! Its fun to put that roof panel on and have the magnets just suck it right down in place with a little "click", you know it's not going to shift around and gap at the top. With that roof panel off a good bit of the interior is visible, but a few things I detailed will never be seen again!
  • Where is everybody? Must be at the tavern...
  • Great kit/kits, fantastic build. Love the lighting in the last photo so much tone.