visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

HO Scale O'Neills Fabrication Official Forum Build

Comments

• Ken, you are putting me to shame. I'm not proud, so do it some more.
  • I love the look of those walls Ken, fantastic work, your detailing of these is superb as always. Pity we are gonna have to wait for updates though....

Karl.A
  • Thanks Karl, appreciate that and the show will not be the same without you and Brett there that's for sure. I'm certain O'Neills will be a topic of discussion on several fronts and honored to be in the thick of the conversation or at least the brunt of it! Taking the O'Neills manual with me to "study ahead". Great scene...Ken sitting in the hotel dining area with breakfast, a cup of coffee and studying the O'Neills manual...

Marty...nonsense...I'll scold you in person at the show!
  • Hey Ken,

You are moving along with this project. Textures and color are fantastic. This is really interesting kit. I was wondering if you had finished your diorama prior to starting and then saw your were best in show. Great job. Keep up the fantastic detail work. This one will be a winner too!!!!
    Jim
  • Ken, I told you so!!!
  • edited April 2016
    Hi Jim, that's right. I finished up the Loco and Service Shops diorama the same week the O'Neills kit arrived. I finished up all four walls of the Main Building of O'Neills before leaving for the EXPO. O'Neills is an awesome kit with loads of character. Glad you will be following the build. Thanks for the kind words.

Hey Marty! Trust you made it back to Canada without a hitch. Great talking with you and your charming wife. I feel the need to nominate her for sainthood hanging with you all these years! I for one was ready to deport you if you hadn't left on your own accord...just messin with you of course. Great diorama and the lead up with the videos was great. Thanks again for the great company...

Ken
  • I'd like to make the next Expo. Although I said so elsewhere, congrats on your award Ken. On a more selfish note, I'm glad you're back and we'll be seeing more work. It got awfully quiet here while you guys were all gone! I have a terrible dilemma. I was going to start the Loco & Service Shops when my current project is complete, but I spoke with Brett and my O'Niells is only 10-14 days out. I'm debating on starting it instead and building along with you. Decisions, decisions!!!
  • No, you better make the next EXPO! Thanks again Alan, appreciate it. Oh my...that is serious...hmm...I'm partial to the Loco and Service Shops as you may know...but, O'Neills is so cool how could you resist diving in? Would enjoy having you along to keep an eye on me. Patiently awaiting your decision...Ken
  • O'Neills is coming along nicely. The Main Building wall siding is done including the corner trim on the side walls. Next up are the window and doors for the Main Building. Note the board detail shot of the Right Wall...keep in mind the board end nail holes are very subtile when viewing without magnification. image
  • They look great Ken and certainly more nails than mine.
  • Hi Michael, thanks and the nail hole issue is very much a like or dislike kind of thing. This tall wall would for sure have had many butted board ends. May be slightly overdone here as far as the numbers but again a very subtile detail on the final look of things. Once all the wonderful details such as the Tower, stairs etc. are added the number of visible board ends will diminish and I think what you'll be able to see will look really quite plausible. On to the windows and doors...they are primed and ready for detailing...ken
  • Ken, I See you are moving along. The board ends, is there structure that they nail into on the interior? How are the boards held flat without nails in the middle of the board? I do like the board width variations.
  • Very nice, most excellent! I am hoping Brett will post the peeling paint technique soon. It looks really awesome. It is much nicer than using the terry cloth towel technique to simulate peeling paint. Are the window and door trim done by mixing water based paint with another agent to make a stain or just painted on? I don't know about you but one of the things I really like about the swsm kits is all the new techniques you pick up along the way! GREAT JOB!
    Jim
  • Liking! Are the wider siding boards there because they will not be seen behind, for the lack of a better word, the "tower"?
  • Marty...water proof wood glue...nail hole detail throughout the siding may be prototypical but looks terrible in 1:87, however, appropriate nail holes on board ends tends to give a nice weathered, board-on-board, realistic look if not overdone. The variation in board width is a great detail Brett designed. I love it.

Hi Jim, The peeling paint effect is so easy and looks really good. The manual details the process quite nicely, the video will confirm just how simple and effective it is. You nailed it...Brett keeps things on the cutting edge and allows the modeler to discover and perfect new techniques. No one in the industry comes close to this kind of attention and value to the end user.

Alan, right...the wide boards on the two walls will be covered. The Rear Wall will have the lower portion covered by the resin "concrete" dock casting and the Right Wall (tall one) will have a portion covered by the Tower as you mentioned. I just stained them as I'm OCD and felt the pictures would look better with those boards colored rather than "raw".

Ken
  • Moving right along, Ken and it looks terrific. I was just talking to Brett about your peeling paint effect on some of the smallest pieces (window frames, mullions, etc.). Your legacy in that area continues on O'Niells!

In the second picture above, that's a shadow on the left side correct? Or is that a different wall from the pic above it?

• edited April 2016
    Way to go Bill, point out my meager photography skills...yea, shadow along that side...same wall as above. The issue is the weather has been poor here either windy or rainy since I got back so no outside shots yet.

Thanks on the peeling paint. Couldn't believe how easy it was and how you can control the amount of peel effect not only when applying the paint but after that when applying the final layer of chalk...rub a little leave more paint...rub more and take more off...

Glad to hear you made it back safe and sound from the EXPO. Next time I see you, you best have Quincy Salvage in tow!...Ken
  • edited April 2016
    Hey, I had to ask. Who knows! I thought maybe it's the wall near where the oil sump is positioned and you were working up some grime to tie into it. Okay, so shadow it is, then. (I'm SUCH a tool!)

Almost didn't make it back...snow delay out of Boston (in April??) and a missed connection in Chicago made for a really long day. Quincy's is on the sideline for a while. I've got an itch to try something a bit different here in the near future...

Back to the thread at hand, I'm eagerly awaiting your work on that tower structure and the big oil tank. My opinion: those two features alone are reason enough to build this beauty!!
  • Right, we ran into the same crappy weather on the drive home. Hate to see you shelf Quincy as from what I have seen is going to be a killer diorama!

Those features you mentioned are signature pieces to this build for sure.

Here are a couple of pics of the ceremonial first wall of the Main Building with the door and window installed. Had originally made the transom window on the door open but didn't like how I did it. Also, glass seems a bit dark so will lighten that up. Note the rusty old can holding the window open.image
  • Fantastic looking walls Ken, the layers and depth to those windows is just fantastic, and the old rusty can is a great touch.

Karl.A
  • I love how the wood is distressed. I'd like to see a video on that technique sometime. On another subject, I got the magic e-mail! O'Neill's is coming! Along with the paint set. Christmas in April! I'll be joining you in this build. It was a tough call, but I've been looking at old threads over on Railroad Line and the group builds look like they were a lot of fun with really useful discussion generated. I have a business trip next week, up to Canada, returning Saturday. Then I'll be getting started. This will be fun!
  • Thanks much Karl. Has to be one of my favorite parts of a build! These windows and doors are terrific and give the wall so much character. Wasn't happy with how dark the window "glass" appeared and then it struck me...photo was taken with a black background. Had to re-post a picture of the first wall with the windows more as they really appear. Digit included for scale...not really...Kenimage
  • OK...had to include this...

Like all the rest of you who build SWSM kits as a passion and addiction, I know Brett leaves out a vital step throughout the manual...he says nothing about the need to set out all the finished walls and other components and look at them for extended periods of time. Go get a cup of coffee and look at them some more, ask your family members to "come look" for the 3rd time, arrange the walls in front of you by propping them up on misc. stuff on your bench. So...during one of these vital sessions I noticed something...and felt it summed up the quality and craftsmanship of Bretts kits..

The image below is of the Rear Wall with the Freight Door installed. Disregard the dark image but is was taken like this on purpose...After competing the siding and before putting in the freight doors, a piece of strip wood is placed on the bottom of the freight door opening. This gives the look of the floor of the structure continuing on past the viewers sight. In addition, the freight door opening is lined with trim previously.

All that detail and look how perfectly centered the freight doors are complete with laser cut hinges! I was amazed when I caught this view with the background lighting. Talk about precision. I didn't touch the door frame or door edges to create this perfect fit.

I positioned one door slightly open towards the inside and as Brett suggested in the manual, cut out one slat of the bottom door panel to show typical damage from constant use. More pictures of the completed wall to follow.image
  • Here are a few pictures of the wall illustrated above highlighting the awesome freight doors. Notice the piece of strip wood placed on the bottom of the door opening. This gives the nice look of the floor continuing on into the building...Kenimage
  • Added this image as the previous didn't show the nifty side window hinged at the middle and tilted open a bit...love it...Kenimage
  • Turning & burning Ken!
  • Your silhouette picture of the freight doors showing the air between the hinges and at the top and bottom of the doors is better than great. However I have kept the air showing along the hinges, but not wanting accidents with doors falling in when I am heavy handed, I have used some adhesive along either top or bottom showing less air than you have.
  • Thanks for the feed-back Alan. Appreciate it .

Michael, the light will likely not show but used to illustrate the perfect fit of these doors. I actually used a little glue along the back as well to further secure the doors.
  • Yo Alan, sorry missed your previous post and what a good one. Nothing better than getting a kit in the mail from Brett and a killer paint set to boot...let the good times roll!
    Happy to hear you'll be working up O'Neills as well. The wood prep is one of my favorite areas and one that is so important as it sets the tone for the entire build. I think that's a motto or something, at least it should be. More later...Ken