visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Another collection of pictures

edited January 2016 in Reference and Research
Found this Flicker group that shares photos of a rail line in Vancouver. While it isn't a "one stop shop" for reference pictures, it does have a little of everything: steam, diesel, rolling stock, logging, scenery, bridges, etc. Just when I was getting bored by the modern diesel pictures, the next page would have a collection of steam donkeys or an old Shay. It'd get to a long string of trains loading ships, then the next set would be a collection of killer bridge images. If you look closely, even the modern stuff has value--how vegetation grows in a yard, close-ups of rust on machinery, how clutter is "organized", etc. Here are a few examples:

A few are HUGE. Like this one:

Follow this link and see how much you can zoom in. This is a wonderful opportunity to really examine the grain, subtle color variations and texture of this beautiful old bridge:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/photo-by-dave/12242010056/in/pool-e_nrailway/lightbox/

It says there are 2400 pictures, so browse through them and find something inspiring. There's no rhyme or reason to the order or organization, but you're bound to see a more than a few that are useful in your modeling:
https://www.flickr.com/groups/e_nrailway/pool/

Bill

Comments

• Thanks Bill. This is a nice collection.
  • Thanks Bill. Phil
  • Thanks Bill
  • Great pictures Bill. Thanks for sharing.

Jerry
  • Fantastic reference pictures Bill, great site and resource, I really want to build a structure as in picture five with the brown under the eaves and the grey below on the siding, such a quintessential look. Picture six is the kinsol trestle, which for a long time was the largest wooden railroad structure in the world, I have a scale HO version in my store room if anyone wants it, but be warned, it is 7'x5'
    Pictures 1+4 are also a great resource, you can just keep looking at and seeing more....

Karl.A