visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Deer Creek Mine Official Forum Build - Final Pics

Here's the completed HO scale Deer Creek Mine. The build thread can be found here:
http://www.sierrawestscalemodels.com/vanforum/discussion/514/deer-creek-mine-build/p1

Comments

• edited October 2015

• edited October 2015

• wow, just wow...
  • Man, that is one impressive model. So many wonderful little scenes. Fantastic work Bill.
  • Thanks guys!
    I thought I was getting carried away with the pictures, but Dustin, you picked up on why I kept going: there are a LOT of little scenes. You'd never know the footprint is only 13"x7". The versatility with this kit unbelievable.

Here's a little secret: I didn't even use all of the castings! Earlier this week, I found a small handful that I simply forgot putting aside in a safe safe spot: some boxes, the metal garbage cans, a couple of acetylene tanks, and one of the big cabinets! Yet, it certainly doesn't look sparse, does it? How many kits have you built where you had TOO MANY castings? THAT's value for your money!!

• Super Great...that is all...
  • Exceptional modeling!!!

Jerry
  • Bill that is some impressive modelling buddy. The fact that its Ho is even more mind blowing. Thanks for taking the time to load the pictures and log the detailed build for us.

The only negative about the whole thing is that It isnt mine.

Whats next?
  • Bill, Its amazing how the little sub-scenes make the diorama very interesting. I could stare at them for hours, but my eyes would go red and my face green with envy. Great shots and you cannot have too many of them.

What's next?
  • I think my favorite little detail is the board sagging under the weight of the small discarded generator. Gonna use that in next kit... just saying.
  • Bill,

That is one thing I like about Brett's kits are the different scenes that you can photograph around the model, and they look so realistic. And it catches the eye of the non modelers. Great job!

Steve
  • Great stuff here Bill. Fabulous diorama and what a great tribute to this kit. Too many awesome details to comment on all. Love the back corner shot with the galvanized water tank and the shot of the boiler. Appreciate the detailed pictures as I will be going through them for a good while. Well done, you really delivered on this one. Ken

Oh...your red jack is leaning at an odd angle...and you didn't think anyone would notice that you moved it from propping open one door to the other!...see...I study your marvelous work here very carefully Bill...
  • Wow!!! Lots of fantastic details techniques and ideas from your build. Thank you for sharing with everyone.

Jim
  • Bill, you are the mine, I mean man!! I can't wait to start this kit. Your thread with Brett's instructions means you just can't miss. Congratulations!! Phil
  • Bill, this is wonderful modeling. I wish I would have waited so that I could have copied some of your great details. While Brett's castings are in another league, so is the way in which you use them. To paraphrase what Bobby Jones said about Jack Nicklaus when he first saw him play- "He models at a level with which I am not familiar".
  • Thank you all for the nice comments!
    Marty-
    Next project? Well, I absolutely MUST work on the layout. My infant son is now in 6th grade! I have to take some time off to set up and organize my new shop. My wife graciously "gave" me the spare bedroom and it's about to become my dream work space.

Ken--good catch on the moving red jack. The ONE casting I forgot to glue down. Where were you when I was setting up to shoot pictures! (thanks for the close inspection)

Phil--I'll be watching as you build your mine. Holler if you need help.

Mike--extremely gratifying words! I read and learned from your builds of Essentials and The Twin Mills as I built my versions of them. Perhaps Zach and I'll will swing over and catch up during Christmas.
  • Bill, ah! Layout !!! Me too, but I'm having too much ignoring it. I would suggest a big comfortable chair, 50" LCD and mini-bar be part of the room. Just saying!
  • edited October 2015
    Really nice work space. Amazing how much better and more fun the work is with a nice dedicated work area. Your wife is obviously a saint of some sort...

I expect many great things to be conceived in here...
  • Beautiful build Bill! Amazing work on the details. Love it.
  • Bill, I have to confess. A group of us trespassed onto your mine property. See the picture below. Your mine work is equally impressive down below.

Seriously, as you may know, I work for a mining company. I got the chance last week to go underground in our zinc/lead mine in Northeast Washington. We are over 1/2 mile down when we took this picture (BTW I'm on the right). I give the guys that work in this mine a lot of credit. I don't know if I could work down there everyday.

Phil
  • edited April 2016
    Congratulations Bill, another well deservered recognition at the expo of your outstanding modelling.

Karl.
  • edited April 2016
    Exceptional build Bill as many have attested to. It was a pleasure to be able to go over the details with you at the EXPO and view it in person. Great to see it recognized at the show and so nice to see you again. Well done.
  • Excellent execution on the techniques to create a work of art. Great tight joints, exceptional color fades on the structure siding all elevated by the outstanding coloring and placement of the castings. I'm particularly impressed with the coloring of the corrugated roofing. Simply put, just an awesome display of craftsmanship.
  • OK , I'm throwing mine in the trash and starting over with a new kit !
  • This is remarkable! It’s simply the result of pure dedication and passion for the hobby. I find this this to be extremely inspirational!

• Bill. Got your message offline.... Nice work mate.....I'm still discovering projects on this forum...thanks for the link cheers "M"