visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

#203 - Logging and Tractor Repair Shed

I believe the "outside" pictures I posted in the Build Thread of this diorama look better...but I wanted to post these "inside" pictures since it provides clearer images of the different scenes of my build.

Happy Viewing!
Alan

Comments

• There cannot be too many photos of this beauty!!!
  • Thanks Mike!
  • Fine workmanship on this. All the way around.
  • The "mood" shots are nice but I like these...you can see all the wonderful details! Well done Alan. Arrangement of support details and landscaping is wonderful. Everything flows together and nothing sticks out except your craftsmanship...

So, what's your next SWSM project?
  • I'm very impressed. I plan to build this same model and will have it on an elevated position. The way you laid out the diorama has given me some ideas on how to make the transition down the hill. Where did you get those trees? The bark is very believable. Also, with your outcroppings, did you use a mold? Phil
  • Thanks Bryan, Ken and Phil.

To answer your question Ken, I WAS going to build the O Scale Saw Mill until I saw Bryan's build thread. Since Bryan did some an Awesome Job on it, I've decided to let some time pass before building that kit. I guess I'm going to go back to my original thought which was to build the Machine Shop since I don't recall seeing a build thread for that kit in a long time.

To answer your question Phil, the trees are hand made. The supplies were purchased from http://www.thescenicfactory.com/default.asp

The outcroppings come from Woodland Scenic Rubber molds and I used Paris Plaster to create them.

Alan
  • Thanks Alan. I hand make my own pine trees using dowels and caspia, but getting the right bark texture has been difficult. Phil
  • edited July 2015
    Phil, I read about a guy who coated this trunks (I think he carves them out of Bass Wood) in a Vallejo Dark Earth acrylic paste. If you goto www.railroad-line.com and click on the On30 Scale Forums, the post is Cardigan Bay Costal Railroad. He shows how he makes his trees. He was some of the best scenery I've ever seen...
  • Absolutely awesome Alan. Everything is spot on. Fantastic work and very inspirational. I love the sense of space around the scene - too often we feel compelled to cram scenes for logostical reasons and so in so it's nice to see some topography and open space around a building. The trees are perfect too. It sounds like there are interior shots? Are these posted elsewhere?

I'm actually slowly working on the Machine Shop so a build of this would be great to see too.
  • Love the weathering of the wood and roofs too. There are so many builds of this kit- it is a classic- but yours is certainly one of the best. I look forward to giving it a try one day too.
  • Ah found the interior shots now....
  • Thanks for the feedback James. Yeah, the roof on the little shed is removable but the roof on the main shed is glued down. I just think the roof looks much better when its glued down...the trade off is you cant see all the little details inside very well.

Alan
  • Thanks Alan. I'll definitely take a look. I'm always open to new ways of doing things. If I can get the bark down, I will have some great trees. I'll definitely be looking at this diorama closely when I build mine. You have set the standard. Phil
  • Very well said Mike, masterpiece.

Karl.A
  • Great photos of a great model, and a very capable job doing the build thread as well. I've been a fan of this model since I saw the late Brian Nolan's O Scale version of this in 2006 that won the Best of Show at the NNGC in Durango.

As with Alan's diorama, the highlights are the vehicles and details which really steal the show.

Here is a link to a thread with photos by Frank Bernard of some of the details of Brian's model. The diorama itself was on display at the Expo in Scranton last spring, and its permanent home is the Suncoast Center for Finescale Modeling near Tampa, FL. The thread also contains some banter among the hobby's rock stars of that era.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13774
  • Hey Mike,

Thanks for the kind words! Yeah, I definitely used as reference the photo's of his build of this kit in O scale when adding the additional details such as the new boards layered on top of the old boards for the walls and the roof cap where he used all various types of boards to create the roof peak. He had a special way of taking a very good model and making it great. I'm also a big vehicle guy so I appreciate the link to Brian's various trucks and tractors.

Alan
  • Fantastic build!
    Jim
  • Awesome work Alan, I really love the natural tones in the wood coloring. Great photography too.
    cheers
    Dave
  • I'm about to start this kit and have discovered it is missing template "A". I think it would be difficult to try to make this kit without the template as it is the front wall. My hope is that you still have the kit and could make a copy of the template for me. Thanks.

Jim Overman - jloverman@gmail.com