visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Neal's O scale Build for the Romantics and the Madmen

Comments

• edited January 2019
    Eric, such a wonderful detailing and weathering/colors can be seen here. The axe in the doorframe reminds me of 1980 -Jack Nicholson in the Shining... Here's Johnny..!! :wink:
  • Since the era of the building is probably well before building codes were in existence this is a mute point but modern day codes don’t allow a door to open directly onto a staircase....a landing (36”) is required to give a person a transition prior to the first step
    Terry
  • Mitch the owner wants the staircase like that to keep the drunks from arriving at the office. He leaves the axe there to remind himself never to hire a one-eyed, left-handed Hungarian ever again. The year of my railroad is 1956.

Also Midcoast Maine has its own code. A woman shot her husband in the head twice at close range while he was sleeping. She walked. The guy had been a real bastard and was from a wealthy California family. Around here, he got what he deserved. Codes are the same way.
  • Robert. I short bit from my memoir: There's the memorable scene in the Shining where Jack Nicholson chops down a door with an axe attempting to kill his wife and young son. Terry particularly sympathized with the moment because he had lived it. His father had not managed to cut completely through the door—his axe actually a hatchet—while Terry and his mom huddled shaking in the corner of the bathroom, and his father therefore hadn't had the opportunity to deliver the renowned ad-libbed line, "Here's Johnny!" but that's why movies can be more entertaining than life—one can rewrite and retake. Real life doesn't often offer such latitude.
  • edited January 2019
    Did anyone notice the pencil on the string? Each day workers had to sign in. The red is Mitch showing missing days. The Hungarian had a few too many but still wanted to be paid.
  • Please explain the level of the main building floor since I'm making an interior. The small door is much lower than the large cargo sliding doors.
  • Love the clipboard and pencil. Looking forward to seeing how all the remodelling works together with the rest of the diorama.
  • Eric. This is a scarf joint I made on the porch. .......Carl.........
    DSCN0032

DSCN0035
  • Carl, I'm in LOVE with that scarf. Will head into basement. Huge storm outside. Just kidding. A couple feet of snow? HA! Will photo 1866 scarf!
  • This photo cost me 6 dinners out! Best place. She has the camera!scarf
  • You should make that lamp above the door functional. We've noticed the pencil, and the piece of clapboard that came loose.. :wink: I also feel that it's not without risk to open the door from the second last step. From the last step, it would seem nearly impossible...
    I think... Damn those Hungarians .... Are those bullet holes in the glass from the door??
  • edited January 2019
    I think his goulash was really terrible!
  • Mitch protects himself!
  • Robert, the door swings in. What do you think of a stucco tower like your water tank? Brick tower? Stay with clapboards since I've already weathered them? You are the working light expert. I have NO clue although I will have the standing lights function.
  • Someone, PLEASE, Please explain the level of the main building floor since I'm making an interior. The small door is much lower than the large cargo sliding doors. I'm snagged trying to figure this out. And why the two hugely different heights?
  • Great door details Eric, sounds like you're having fun with it!
  • Ken, a blast! Just learned when a post ain't vertical, it's a brace! Any thought to my Robert questions. Any input is MUCH appreciated. Remember, I'm not really a modeler, just someone goofing around.
  • Eric,

There was a great program on HGTV until recently (I think it lasted for about 8 seasons) that featured taking apart old log cabins and barns and repurposing the materials called Barnwood Builders (www.diynetwork.com/shows/barnwood-builders). If you can find reruns you might enjoy them. Learned plenty about all the terminology used by post and beam carpenters: beams, posts, braces, scarfs, bents, etc. It featured a great group of down to earth West Virginia country boys that enjoyed what they did each day and they enjoyed throwing axes at targets pretty regularly as well.

Later, Dave S Tucson, AZ
  • BRACES BOLTED.

IMG_2201
    IMG_2203
  • For Robert:

IMG_2204
  • I feel already much safer... :smiley: Like the way you've nailed the steps. ( you know The 39 Steps ?)
  • I love that movie, but then I like most of Hitchcock.
  • edited January 2019
    What do the doors on your kit measure? On mine they seem to be around 5 1/2 feet in 1/48th scale. The addition door is even closer to a mere 5 feet tall. Why is that? Am I measuring something wrong? 4 inches equals one scale foot, correct?
  • Personally I think a brick or stucco tower, if done anything like Robert achieved, would look fantastic but a bit out of place on this build. One thing I always keep in mind when building a SierraWest kit is the amount of reserach Brett puts into it. When I look at a SWSM kit I know Brett has spent an enormous amount of time ensuring prototypical correctness, work flow, combinations of design materials to be both technically correct yet stimulating for the modeler and pleasing to the eye. I do things a bit different here and there, not to change for the sake of change, but to match my modeling style and how I like my work to appear (grungy of course!). The beauty of a SWSM kit is the modeler can "build to suit" as they say...so a modified stairway, in my opinion, is reflecting your modeling style and is in keeping with the goal and feel of the build and that is to have a way to get from the ground to the office! With that said...changing the tower to brick or stucco, I think would change the whole feel of the build and be an unlikely way the structure would have been built.

Geesh Eric what a windy response...sorry...the detail combination on the picture above is great and the nail holes in the stair treads look sweet.
  • Thanks, Ken! I agree, just looking at options. Besides, New England is clapboards or all brick for larger factories. One thing I must do is move the loading dock and track a bit away from the building because of cinders that would fly out of the Forney stack. Flamable gas and hot cinders? Mainers are too practical for that. Have you built this kit in HO? Your last kit is beyond breathtaking, my friend. You really are cruel!
  • Ken, nail holes are tough because overdone they REALLY look bad!

• Modeling during a blizzard, in Maine, with the wood stove cranked reminds me of my modeling in the 1970s, which I find nice.

IMG_2209
    IMG_2210
    IMG_2213
  • All this Maine and Texas humor! I'm from Missouri, so just "Show Me"!
  • edited January 2019
    That poor guy is going to have to duck to get thru the door. He can change the light bulb without a ladder also.