visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Neal's O scale Build for the Romantics and the Madmen

Comments

• The wood gon...VERY nice...great weathering
    Terry
  • The least one can say.!!!
  • I want to try Robert's hairspray tech. What color should the office be?IMG_2146
  • Detail on the gon is amazing...love it. Yeah that stove has that cooked look!...unique looking chair as well.
  • The ideas and workmanship posted on the SWSM forum just blow me away. This past weekend I have once again gone back over build after build printing out photos and making notes in the margins about ideas that are new to me and that I'd like to incorporate into my builds and dioramas. You guys here on the SWSM Forum are the best. As always, thanks for your willingness to share photos and ideas that make your models show stoppers and award winners.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Ken, the chair is a narrow gauge passenger seat. So . . . what color for the dormer? I'm thinking bright blue! French blue!
  • The schooner vanished from my water tower. It was an actual boat that sailed out of Belfast Harbor. Ouch!

Detail1
    IMG_3054 (1)
    IMG_3804
  • The spout works. I cast the weights out of lead to balance the brass snout.

Detail2
  • Coal cart for Ken and better snout picture.

IMG_0440
    IMG_3904
  • Beautiful work, you have that galvanized look down solid!
  • That looks like the cart from Train Troll. They are great kits.

Frank
  • This sucks! My 4th try! I give up.
    IMG_2161
  • Eric,

You are being unnecessarily harsh about your last photo posting. Specifically what are you dissatisfied with? What I see here is something that many of us wish we could achieve. I personally don't see anything I would change. If we can better understand what bothers you about this section of the wall maybe some members could offer suggestions. But again, I personally see nothing I would change or be dissatisfied with.

One thing I would question is the process you use to age your window glass? I have been meaning to ask you that question for a while now.

• I also wonder what you’re frustrated about....the siding and door trim is weathered nicely...the door coloring is good....irregularity of the siding looks good...keep on keepin’ On
    Terry
  • It simply lacks the spelling paint effect.
  • Door and windows look wonderful...the siding color is a very unique and looks cool...I love the boards neat but uneven in places...just right.
  • Eric,

There are different stages and looks to peeling paint. In my opinion, some modelers exaggerate these effects to the point that it becomes affected. Sometimes subtle is the most effective way to state things while modeling. For example the size of some of your clapboards is different but enough of them remain close to if not the same size for me to notice these few because they are not the norm. A few of the broken boards near the upper corner of the door frame also add to the overall effect that this building is old but still in use and somewhat maintained. Again this, in my opinion, is not overdone so the overall impression of the side of the building remains one of being far from abandoned. Nice work. Keep on building. So far your build is unique among the others presented here on the forum.

• Great coloring on all of your metal pieces.
  • I expressed myself poorly. But it was an interesting experiment in human perception. I like the way this turned out, but it was not what I saw in the endless video and photo tutorials I watched online for the peeling paint effect. My paint simply didn't want to peel. Tried different hairsprays from my wife's $20 can to the classic AquaNet at $1.67. Tried varnish over the weathered boards. Tried expensive paint (worse), cheap paint (better). Anyway, not to0 impressed with the hairspray method on wood.

I posted this on three model forums. Everyone except a few people agreed with me that it sucked. You guys however actually LOOKED and saw it was fine. That was fascinating. As a professional artist for 50 years, I encounter that all the time. Most people cannot see. They are simply blind, but always believe what they are told.
  • edited January 2019
    Now, the center clapboard (right of the door knob) looks REALLY good to me. That was more my hope for all of it. Agreed?

IMG_2161 2
  • The color really is a pale French blue. It will show better against the silvered wood of the main building.
  • Hi Eric,

For the peeling paint effect, I have used mineral spirits and the cheap craft paint that you can buy at Michaels or Hobby Lobby. Brett has given a very good description of this procedure in the manual for the Engine Service Facilities kit. Anyway, I have to agree with everyone else, the wall look great.
  • I am highly allergic to turps, mineral spirits. Might try it anyway!

IMG_2162
  • Will get WAY better photos.
  • edited January 2019
    You can try AK Interactive chipping fluid. It's acrylic so no turps. It will give the same results in a slightly different method. Apply fluid, let dry. Apply paint, let dry. Scratch paint, wet with water, start picking away at it with toothpick, stiff brush, tape, whatever. It works.

This method will wash out the wood if colored with chalks. Plan accordingly to seal or re-treat color of wood.
  • and the deviation begins....