visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Neal's O scale Build for the Romantics and the Madmen

Comments

• Nothing like sunlight to show graining.

Door
    Sun 4
    SUN3j
    Sun5
  • Perfect graining. Not to exaggerated , just the right impression of it. The glass looks like the late 'hand-made' 19th century kind. ( I use it in the restoration of period cabinets.)
  • Since there is SO little interest in this project, I guess I will ditch these posts.
  • Eric. The walls and sliding doors look very natural and like that coloring a lot.

Now for some Vermont humor.
    This is a wonderful chair and has many uses, You can work all day with out stoping if you take something from the kitchen and ruin it just drop it in the bucket and if your wife says are you OK just say not sure let me look in the bucket. ..............Carl

P1030891

P1030893
  • By the way the glass reminds me of the windows in our old house built in 1740.....Carl...
  • edited January 2019
    Thanks, Carl. You are a good man. Where in Vermont? I lived in Bennington as a townie, Arlington, Waterbury Center, Montpelier, etc. Know Vermont well. Love the North Kingdom. The Pine Tree Diner! Great friend lives in Monkton.
  • So Carl....did you take that “chair” up on the high lines each morning with you....Florida humor
    Terry
  • MG.....many of us are “lurkers” and stay in the background....me included...I appreciate your project posting and will try to do better with all the threads....including my own “Railroad Camp aka RRC”
    Terry
  • Every day Terry.
  • Eric. I live in Tinmouth about 20 miles south of Rutland, Pop 400.
  • i'll bite. please tell us about the sliding doors?
  • Hey Eric, love the crane model...do you know the kit manufacturer? What a nice offer and I'll give yo a shout when I get to a project where I can incorporate it...too late for The Foundry of course as I'm alomost done...believe it or not! Your work on it looks pretty darn good...might need to "grunge" it up a bit!

Really enjoyed your great turorial on the steel wool pickling. I'd known about that method for a long time but when I did it I just got a brownish stain which wasn't worth the effort as I could get that color much easier...but...now I understand what I did wrong...too much steel wool vs white vinegar...ahhh...must try again.

Nice window work. The glass on the sliders does look like old, old glass. Really like that pick with the tire loading dock bumper, the doors partly open and the window propped open...great stuff.
  • Thanks, Ken. I barely remember even building that kit. A guy gave it to me because he said it was too complicated because every piece was separate. Not even sure if he didn't give it to me in a plastic bag. Yes, it needs the Chuck Doan grunge badly! Let me know and I'll mail it. Seems sturdy.

Yeah, one thing about the pickling is if it is mixed correctly, NOTHING happens for hours, then the wood suddenly goes this lovely gray with a slight greenish cast. But the colored pencil is when it begins to look real, and that is beyond easy to control. 0000 steel wool. Cheap white vinegar in huge jug is a couple dollars. Use wife's finest china for mixing, etc.
  • Sliding doors are way more practical than swinging doors in a northern climate. If they swing out, you must remove ALL the snow and ice. If they swing in, they require a huge amount of clearance so nothing can be placed in that arc. Consider Brett's main building. Storage would be very minimal with both sets of doors opening in. No room for the hundreds of propane tanks I'm going to place in mine.
  • Carl, was the HoJo's on Route 7 near your turn off. It was south of Rutland if I remember. I drove that route every week because I worked in Montreal assembling pulp testers but lived with my French wife in Bennington. She taught French.
  • Eric. The Ho Joes was south of Bennigton and gone now I live 60 miles North of Bennigton just 10 Miles from the NY state line
  • For some reason I can't reply to the message you sent, great pics and story!
  • edited January 2019
    Carl, this was 1979 and there was a HoJo's just south of Rutland. I stopped there SO often for one pistachio on the pointy honey cone! It was one the right off route 7 just a bit, not right on the highway.
  • Mike, go to quantumrun356.com. It has 600 pages of early 356.
  • Mike, here is the trailer for the movie: password is quantum.

• The picture of the Porsche is the best picture you've posted all week...
  • I know where you mean now I am 20 miles south.
  • Eric,

Enjoyed the trailer. When will the full flick be available?

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Those cars are a blast to work on, but I am no longer at the shop that specializes on them, now I'm at a shop that specializes in these.....20181017_152130-800x450
  • Love those! I only have the correct tire pressure gauge from one. My father drove one a bunch. He said it would hit 80 mph in second gear!

Need help with these things. Anyone have photos of who they painted them. I'm only guessing at what things are.

IMG_2140
  • To show Ken the tech. The DC-3 was gray plastic, 1/48th. Whole finish took 10 minutes and three black fingers. Note hinges which were Atlas plastic.

IMG_1378
    IMG_1956
    48408525_1831832203609319_4288995302888701952_o
  • Love the top of the box car first pic. DC-3 looks just like slightly weathered aluminum...nice.
  • Just another option to play around with.

Here is an over-fired wood stove, just like the bottom of your pipe. And an HO (yes, I did once HO too) that I scratch built in 1980.

IMG_3114 (1)
    IMG_8357
  • Note quarter on right of photo.

Gon side
    IMG_0425 2
    Eric Green's HOn3 gon (1)