visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Neal's O scale Build for the Romantics and the Madmen

Comments

• Correct! Nothing like a drink in the Bad Clam!
  • Although everyone is ignoring me. My first try.

IMG_2015
  • Eric. I think that you have a real natural look to the wood, Nice job. .............Carl........
  • Thanks, Carl! Maine weathers things a bit differently from the salt air.
  • I'm with Carl on the nice looking wood. I like the warm wood tones and nice variation in the boards.
  • Eric.....it is your model....and you should build it as you see fit....some other kit manufacturers take exception with the way we here tend to build stuff....some say "too much grey"....again I say...model as your layout...or diorama is perceived in your mind. I kinda like the grey tones....and I do agree with you that the old growth wood was of a much higher quality. So do your thing....make it yours.....and if you want to make it look "worked in....and maintained when totally necessary....this forum will offer up the methods....as will Brett's manual.....Enjoy your build!
  • Completely agree with MuddyCreek. Besides, look at all the examples of real nature weathering, but grey and silverish tones. That's what I do with my wood also.
    And Eric , you're an OK guy, and a great modeler too, people just need to get used to the "Romantic -Madman's " Maine kind of humor....I can dig.. :wink:

• Mainers are kind of melancholic I would say, along with our odd sense of humor to cover it, so drab and gray suits us fine. If you go into the Maritimes you see bright color, in Quebec lots of orange, bright green, sky blue and the churches are all silver.

But YES personal vision is critical. And YES my building will not look like the others. One thing I think of is most carpenters in the 1900s were VERY skilled. And in Penobscot Falls most had been boat builders. Their joints would've been flawless. So the quality of my building from that POV will be much more precise than I normally witness in model railroad buildings. Sometimes I feel John Allen started the idea that carpenters always cut boards 6 inches too short or long. And everyone keeps copying that. It wasn't the reality of the times out this way.
  • Peoples personal touch is what makes modeling so interesting. I too want my modeling look just like ....mine. But in the end we all take some inspiration of others. Even if it is for to not to do so. But hey, it's the pleasure one gets out of modeling these kits. ( and others) And about the knots, they just add to the feel of real wood in the model . These buildings weren't exactly stately homes, so a knot or two won't hurt. But to be honest, I don't do them because I feel they are way to much out of scale. Just a personal POV.
    A knot of , let's say one inch in scale would be.... much to small to be noticed.
  • Muddy, these might give you a context of where the building will live. It will however be on the On30 section of the railroad which interchanges with the Penobscot Central on the wharf.

47689477_1817034495089090_1003244948062994432_o
    IMG_1668
    IMG_1693
    IMG_1818
  • Robert, thank you! You are a friend and we connect on a special level because we both model differently. I talked to Brett yesterday and we had a great chat. I was stunned everyone had taken me seriously, so I am trying my hardest to control any Maine teasing from now on. And yes, and O scale knot is insanely small. And a butt joint that shows overly is not good carpentry!
  • Layout looks fantastic....and I am well away of the Maine d
    Demeanor as I have several friends from up that way....and I always spend at least a few weeks in the upper Maine woods.....will be up that way in beginning of March to do some fire service teaching near Wells.....
  • edited January 2019
    Muddy, the photos are just to show a rough work in progress. Wells is southern Maine to us. Might as well be Georgia.

Here is wall weathering. Note silveriness of sea salt effect on left. Anything I messed up?

IMG_2016
  • edited January 2019
    Closer view. Brett, color coding the end of the sticks would be a gift from heaven. Once they are cut it ain't so easy to know which is which. A batch of bright dye, a dip , done.

Wall
  • Nice Eric how did you do the silver look? ..........Carl.........
  • Millinocket a bit closer?......Climbing Kathadin again in August....
  • Great silvery color. I wouldn't have expected anything else from you !!!
  • edited January 2019
    Second wall seems a bit better than the first. I guess I'm learning. Of course I was drinking way more during the second wall fabrication and coloring. 1/48th scale from Maine.

IMG_2026
  • edited January 2019
    Carl, the crazy pickle mixture sprayed on very liberally. I did ALL the wood for this kit in 15 minutes. Then build wall. Tune with the SIDE of white or pale colored pencils. REALLY easy. And a gentle wash of gray-black acrylic at the very end seems to tighten any project by softening everything a bit. BUT go really thin on the wash. Mostly water! You can always add a second coat, right? If you really goof, you might save it with more colored pencil. PRISMACOLOR is the best because it is soft and sticks to everything, but a gentle touch is key once again. Simple weathering secret: MANY MANY layers. Then variation in tones is a matter of mathematics. Cheers!
  • Sorry, realized the photo was way dark. This is better, eh?

IMG_2026
  • And this is my peeling paint. But in Maine, back then, a lot of cedar, locust, and other sappy woods were used. Paint wasn't needed. New Englanders are like railroads, they NEVER waste money where not required.

2-copy-2
  • edited January 2019
    Carl, the photo way up of the two walls shows really clearly just the pickle mixture vs. the addition of colored pencil.
  • Muddy, my dad worked in the Millinocket paper mill in the 1950s. Wonder if it's still there. Most of the huge paper mills are gone. Even the Bucksport mill just closed. Russians!
  • Muddy, if you drive through Holton on your way up, PLEASE stop at the Elm Tree Diner. Best damn food and service and prices that seem wrong like in has time gone WAY backwards. If Richard Silliboy is there say HI. And all the waitresses. They likely know me as the artist guy in the cowboy hat from down south who acts crazy and tips too much!

• And then there were four. Really excited about my scarf joint! 1/48th scale modeling from SNOWY Maine.

IMG_2027
  • Scarf joint.

• Looking good “MG”
    Terry
  • colors look great. what? no knot holes?? :)