visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

More Variations ... O Scale Logging & Tractor Repair Shed

Comments

• Outstanding!!! Phil
  • OK Robert, the lights are just great. Don't be so apologetic about the pictures. They are fantastic. To me, the best picture of models are take at eye level as if standing there. They look so realistic, 1:1 scale. Your details, weathering, etc words can't explain.
  • Your work is always incredible
  • Just incredible modeling Robert. Perfectly executed in every way. I've spent several hours just staring, examining and admiring these pictures. Definitely some of the best modeling I've seen.

Karl.A
  • Karl, you are to kind. Coming from an expert like yourself, it means a great deal to me.
    And yes, SW kits are without any doubt THE BEST EVER !!!
  • I love seeing it lit up.
  • Ed, last octobre, Emmanuel, whom I know well, and Marcel from Swiss, were once again together on an model train exposition in Belgium. I was there with my latest diorama The Hangar. Emmanuel, my neighbor, showed his mini scenes.

Thanks Bryan, the many lights show the detailing inside. Would have been a pity not to see them.
  • Stunning modelling and really amazing photography. Love to see you do a step by step for your next kit.
  • Will do Joel.!! :wink:
  • Robert,

I hesitate to ask this so late in your build, but I will nonetheless. Could you show a few photos of the structure with the roof removed? I too like to make my structure roofs removable (even for small sheds) so the interior details can be viewed but I struggle to come up with good building methods that allow for a sturdy roof that can be removed and set astride the structure and keep its shape and be placed back on the structure and nestle down nice and snug.

I am also always looking for creative ways to either make the wiring for the interior and exterior lights totally unobtrusive or easily but realistically staged for viewing. I generally find it hard to figure out where to place the lights and wiring so it looks quite natural under the roof and trusses with the roof removed. All suggestions, hints and ideas are welcome.

Thanks, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • No problem Dave.

Here some 'functional, not artistic' pics to illustrate what I mean...

So, for the wiring, I installed two brass bars all the way up in the trusses from one end of the building towards the other. They represent the positive and negative pole for the lightning. Or cathode and anode for the leds. ( I hope these are the rights words..)

On those two bars , you can connect as much lamps, leds as you like. Just make sure al the pos. and neg. stay together. At the end, ( outside the building, don't forget a resistance for the leds.
    Be creative where you want to exit the two wires. I guided them down in a corner never visible unless you take of the roof.

After everything is connected, I painted them in a wood color.

The roof sides are glued together and placed on the structure . Held down by some pieces of lead I melted into cubes. To prevent them from gliding down the roof, I glued some course sandpaper underneath one side. The weight of the lead cubes make sure the roof fits perfect on the structure .

To prevent glue oozing out and stick the roof to the trusses, just put a piece of very thin plastic kitchen foil between them.

Another way is described by Brett ion the manual.

Wait long enough to be sure the glue has hardened completely before you remove everything.

DSCN3250

DSCN3251

DSCN3252

DSCN3254

DSCN3255

Hope this helps you, and others, out a bit.

Merry Xmas to everybody.

Robert.G

• Robert and Dave's exchange is a perfect example of everything that is so wonderful about this site. The Information requested was given a highly documented response that was educational for even the bystanders. Well done gentlemen, and you are certainly in keeping with the spirit of this season.
    Merry Christmas
    Bill
  • Thanks for that detailed reply and pictures Robert. Excellent and easy to follow. It will indeed be very beneficial to many of the members, including myself.

Karl.A
  • Robert,

Joyeux Noel et Bonne Annee!

As always, thanks for explaining your methods of modeling and more specifically in this case a removable structure roof and the addition of semi-concealed electrical wiring. Great photos along with your explanations help to make the process of construction clearer by adding a three dimensional factor for us visual learners.

Bill is absolutely correct about the courtesy extended by fellow modelers on this forum. It has been my experience that when I ask a question I get a rapid response with no sense of hesitation or prejudgment on the part of the modeler I requested help from. No question I have asked has been to basic for a response. I think we have all universally witnessed this courtesy for each other on this forum perhaps more so than some others.

Merry Christmas and Best Wishes for A Happy Healthy Prosperous 2019 to all my fellow modelers, mentors and tutors here on the SWSM Forum.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ (The heart of the Sonoran Desert)
  • i just thought i'd bump this thread a bit for more people to enjoy. amazing modeling. the guys that build for museums could learn something here.
  • Stunning! The spilled paint on the saw horses killed me. May I steal your idea?

Your French grass is much greener and bluer than Maine grass. Except in May.
  • edited January 2019
    Thanks for this huge compliment kebmo,

Eric, be my guest. That's what this institute is for... Here are no thieves.
  • Holy Cow !! Looking at all these pictures you would think it was the real thing from the details to the scenery. Fantastic job Robert!
    Jim
  • Robert, great job on the build. You really achieved that realistic look. The quality of the builds in this forum continues to amaze me. Phil
  • I received my On30 Annual in the mail today. Guess which modeler on this site has a feature story.
  • i'll bite....
  • Its Robert of course with this model.
  • i can't wait to get my copy of this kit just so i can check out the details.
  • Pgs 64-69 2020 On30 Annual.1335D64B-D57D-4C0D-B571-854195D74940
  • I haven,t receiced a copy yet, but these are NOT my colors. Shame on white rivier productions. They did get perfect high resolution photos, like the ones you can see in my building thread. Very sad....
  • The pictures in the magazine are fine. I'd say the red and green are from the LED bulbs in my office.
  • Mea Culpa white river.....
  • I don't comment to often, mostly just hang-out in the background.

But.... 'when I grow-up I want to be able to model like Robert.'

Simply amazing work. This is true art.
  • Thanks, but the forum is loaded with SUPER modelers. Look in the gallery , in the 'HO departement'..
  • Nicely done, Robert....I can appreciate the disappointment of being 'hoodwinked' by the seller but forging ahead anyway...keep us all posted on the progress

Terry

i would have at least sent the sob an angry letter.