visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

HO Scale Brass & Iron Foundry Official Forum Build

Comments

• It's all in the details , right !!!! Well done man.
  • Love how you've got a hint of metal showing through the rust and grime. Not so difficult to do on the metal casting but to match the nbw in colour and texture, that's amazing. You keep setting the bar higher and I love it.
  • Right Stephen, just one of those things I just gotta give it a go!

Same to you Ed.

Thanks much Robert, small little detail but illustrates the point.

So cool you noticed that Joel, thanks for your critique as always.

Don't worry folks, won't be posting pictures every time I finish a casting...
  • [we don't have to dust ken for fingerprints]
  • That's the way a clevis should be presented. Why has no one done this already? Thanks for sharing.
  • I'm already in the data base Kevin!

Thanks Bryan and I feel vindicated for all the snickers I got for posting such a small and often overlooked little detail item.

I'll take that any day Phil...
  • Ken, your stuff gives me such a thrill. Thanks, buddy, for doing the impossible. That is one way God shows and teaches us.
  • Thanks Eric, working my way around the pattern shop complex completing all the individual scenes...fun stuff.
  • Info. post...

Within the golden pages of The Foundry Manual, Brett points out the highly effective technique of diorama construction where the build is broken down into a collection of mini-scenes. These "scenes" are basically completed individually as one moves around the dio from one scene to another. However, one must keep in mind the seamless blending of the scenes. This blending tends to come naturally when using similar scenic materials and of course, the same modeler!

So...my point here is, I have decided that rather than a big delay in posting the final pictures of my Foundry build, I will post pictures of each invidually completed scene as I move around the diorama. I have identified no less than 10 individual scenes that I will be reporting on:

1. Pattern Shop Rear Dock (completed)
    2. Concrete Transfer Dock (completed)
    3. Spring Works Yard and Tempering Shed
    4. Repair Shop Front and Side
    5. Pattern Shop Dock Side
    6. Foundry Track Side
    7. Foundry and Office Side
    8. Office Front and Side
    9. Foundry and Workroom "cove"
    10. Gantry Crane. Hoist, and Tempering Oven Stack

Once I get a good day for photos I'll post the two completed scenes outlined above. Why am I posting all this?...its fun!
  • Oh, and keep in mind...since my last build, BlueSky Company, I have decide to incorporate one scale figure in all my dioramas but the dude will not be obvious. As I post the completed scenes keep an eye out for him.
  • Looking for the scale figure!
  • At least that is a start Ken with the LP.
  • Kind of like " where in the world is Carmen Sandiego?"
  • edited November 2018
    As I mentioned previously, I'm going to take some photos of each individual scene as I complete it and work my way around the diorama.

I have completed two previously identified scenes and feature them here, the Pattern Shop Rear Dock and the Concrete Transfer Dock.

IMG_4456

Early on in the construction of the Pattern Shop I outlined how I had decided to put in a false floor so when the doors were cracked open it would appear as if the floor was complete. Once the "floor" was in and the doors hung I managed to leave enough opening that I built a stack of plywood, that the pattern shop would be using, and carefully put it just inside the open doors (see above). Gives a nice illusion of a busy shop inside.

IMG_4457

Note the clutter and junk under the dock. Things would naturally accumulate here.

IMG_4482

IMG_4472

View of the small pile of discarded pallets...

IMG_4474

IMG_4485

Lots of stuff going on here on the Transfer Dock.

IMG_4489

IMG_4461

Note the Mill Engine Drive Wheels that are sitting on the dock ready to be loaded as soon as the hoist is connected up to the Gantry Crane.
  • Hoist pulleys look a bit out of place to me after mulling it over...may remove them...
  • jeez. awesome scenes ken. and seeing the concrete castings in situ really illustrates how excellent they are. this stuff looks great!
  • Looking for the scale figure!

I like the plywood visible through the door. The clutter accumulated under the dock looks very natural. Like the bricks. The pulleys may look out of place to you, but the clevis is fantastic.

The ropes for the pulleys does not look too stiff. Was this in the kit or did you get it somewhere else?
  • This build keeps getting better... Thanks for posting.
  • Ken, Very nice, The placement and finish of the castings looks awesome!
  • Thanks Kevin, apprciate it.

Bryan, the pulleys are a SWSM product but the ones in the kit I used for a pulley system on the swing beam crane. I added the heavy rope rather than chain as there will be chain on the swing beam and gantry.

You bet Robert, and appreciate you taking the time to comment and the kind words.

Thanks Stephen.
  • Looks fantastic Ken, the weathering on the details is superb and fits perfectly into the scene. Also your scenery and debris integration is seamless, perfect job, everything blends so well together and so naturally. Great stuff.

Karl.A
  • Always enjoy looking at your pictures.

Thanks for sharing Ken.
  • What I like especially on the last pictures besides everything, is the debris, junk, stones, rocks, occasional vegetation underneath the transfer dock. Looks so natural. What a delight :smiley:
  • Thanks much Karl!

You bet Alan...

Appreciate that Robert, and that stuff is an often overlooked detail...many small insignificant things when put together make a significant impact on the overall diorama.
  • Beautiful work Ken.

Jerry
  • Great attention to detail! Love all that's going on under the transfer dock. For me details like that really bring the scene to life. Great work Ken.
  • Thanks Jerry.

I agree Tom, I love doing those details and appreciate your thoughts.
  • Ken,

A thought about the hoist pulleys. Consider putting the pair of hoist pulleys on a small wood palate or cart like you have the blocks on. That could make it look like they are in transition to another location.

Later, Dave S Tucson, AZ