visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Scotia Supply

Comments

• I kept working for a little bit tonight and added the smokestack and main sign to the building.

ScotiaRoof2
    This is the first photo I took with my iPhone instead of my Canon DSLR. I think this is better photo and I didn't use anything special lighting or anything.

ScotiaRoof1

-Steve
  • Steve

Love the shingles, they look perfect. What are the dimensions of the shingles? Did you use Sierra scale models sheets?

Pete
  • Roof turned out great
  • Just excellent Steve. Really enjoying your build!

Geezerbill
  • Hey Steve,
    The roof and sign are awesome. I coloring of the shingles if perfect.
    Jim
  • Thanks everyone.

Pete, yes they are the Sierra Scale cedar sheets. Dimensions on the size of each shingle or thickness?
  • Size of each shingle
  • I’m not sure the exact size of each shingle. I took a real cedar shingle and tried to scale it down. I think it was around 12” long x 6” wide. I drew some lines about 12” Scale on a sheet and I use that to cut them into strips. I chop them up into different widths after that.
  • Really nicely done Steve. That last picture just looks wonderful. The sign and stack weathering...shingles...everything just blends together and looks great!
  • Nothing like individual shingles. Fantastic work Steve, it looks great.
  • Great work on the roof, Steve. Way to keep at it until you achieved the desired look. I think your last photo shows a nice range of tones while still maintaining a predominant aged-gray color.
    Well done!
  • Steve. I lived in a house for forty years with a wood roof and replaced them one time. They would turn a dark brownish color and get almost black on the ends I have some pictures somewhere if I find them i will post a few................Carl
  • Thanks everyone.
  • I made some progress today during the snow adding some details to the loading dock.

01e922d14ebfde8cc8a3cca1240c2da63cd3aa9909

01742ae6c174a36aaf410ff0ef9421ae968f7dd32c
    I copied a photo from a real scale and glued it to the scale.

01de6d182092d7553b66eedab6e3876399db48ad55

0113c4ba590562a48899bfaacb6365a4eabb6d327c
    0150080a91bbeb5888b7d1dfc8370df3f83430ed1a

I still need to add some small details like tools, ropes and chains to pull everything together a bit. Not much time left till I think I'm going to be done this one. Maybe a truck parked next to the dock on the right side.
    Thanks for checking in.
    -Steve
  • Hey Steve, I really like what you are doing here. Great work. Thanks for sharing.
  • Great work on the details. Everything pulls together as one. Everything seems natural. Thanks for sharing.
  • I agree with Joel, excellent finish on the detail castings. Scene composition is great...are you going to have the crane in the dock scene?
  • Thanks guys.

Ken, Definitely going to add the crane I just haven’t finished it yet. I still want to play around with the dock details a bit before I add it. The crane is really in the way if I add it too soon.

• For sure, you’d be knocking that thing over finishing the dock details. Well thought out.
  • edited March 2018
    Looking wonderful Steve! Dock castings came out great. It is amazing how well resin weathers up to look like wood, metal, cement, etc...
  • Thanks Brett!

I love working with the resin. It colors so easily, it’s lighter than metal and has better grain and texture.
  • Hi Steve,

I really like the way you did your shingles. First, you placed them in neat rows like they were when they would have first been placed and not haphazardly like some may due. Not until then did you start to rearrange some to show some disrepair on areas of your shingles. Your color turned out just great.
  • Thanks Ed.

Thanks Steve, I really tried to make them as straight as possible with just a little variation in the length just like real wood shingles are. I also made sure I overlapped the seams with each row. I'm trying to improve my roofing on each model I do. I think it's the most important part of a model because it's the first and main focal point. I really appreciate the positive feedback.
  • Small update tonight.

I added a few more details to the dock.

01dcb4594c25896bfabc9e23317b53f40add494cdc
    I covered a crate size block of wood with Kleenex to simulate a canvas tarp. I also added a few more folded up tarp piles around the dock. I added some rope made from string and a couple pieces of chain. This is my first experiment with using larger pieces of tissue to simulate tarps and I'm pretty happy with the result. I felt like the dock needed some smaller details to pull everything together and make it look natural.

01c5589b294118ab53d4260cbc7f84961c02cdd4f2
    013b47fad6e32ae9213f5fe6d0097588e36dd70949

01c194c3ab3a49efdec9bc89daa26b53dcb67b2870

I added some scenery around the diorama but it's still wet. I'll post some pictures of the back area tomorrow once it dries.

Thanks for checking in.

-Steve
  • Wow, excellent work Steve. Great detail craftsmanship.
    Mark
  • I really like the tarp.

Bryan
  • What did you use to color the tarps?
  • Thanks guys.

Mike, I soaked the tissue in alcohol after it’s in place. This causes it to relax and fall more naturally. While it’s still wet I colored it with khaki craft paint. The alcohol helps the paint wick into the tissue. After it dries I dusted it with some chalks.
  • Looks wonderful Steve. Love that last shot...very nicely done!
  • The tarps are fantastic as well as the castings and scenery. Is the track individual ties and hand laid?
    Jim