visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Scotia Supply

Comments

• Looks great Steve. The color match looks appropriate as I would expect the doors to be a bit dirtier than the siding above.
  • Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Real small update today.

I took a break from the walls to paint some castings.

2018-02-01 001
    The structure comes with a nice resin casting for the concrete loading dock. I primed it with gray automotive primer, painted the wood decking with SW Earth and weathered it with a wash of A&I followed by some chalks. It has some great detail in it.

2018-02-01 002

2018-02-01 007
    I have a little gap between the stone casting and the concrete casting I'll have to try to tighten up when I glue everything together. I'm sure the dock castings will cover most of it.

2018-02-01 004
    I colored and weathered a few barrels. Nothing too exciting. Brett's techniques described in the videos really make it easy to color and weather barrels and tanks. After I paint them once they are dry I dip them in rubbing alcohol and smack them with a wire brush while turned the casting. The alcohol loosens up the paint and it works great. Then I weather with chalks.

The videos are here if you haven't seen them.
    http://sierrawestscalemodels.com/videos.html

2018-02-01 005
    I like to color a few barrels with yellow or brighter red. This is Reaper Pale Saffron. I think it adds a little life to the filthy industrial scrap piles I like to model so much. I added a little oil right around the cap in the top. I've worked in shops that used old manual crank pumps for transmission fluid or oil and they always have oil all over the side and top of the barrel. I just used a little bit of Reaper Adamantium Black for the oil.

2018-02-01 006

Thanks for checking in.

-Steve

• Looking mighty fine Steve !
  • Nice work Steve I have had this kit for ever when it came out so after looking at what a neat job that you are doing I am going to build it when I am done with my other project.........Carl
  • Nice work Steve. Love the loading dock. looking forward to it all coming together and at the rate you're going that might be this weekend.
  • Brett really did some marvelous resin casting work with Scotia Supply between the one piece stone structure main floor and the one piece concrete/wood base! Concrete color looks great. I love detailing the old drums as well and Brett provides such a nice variety of styles and sizes. So much you can do with them and yours look terrific. Really enjoying this build Steve.
  • Steve-
    This is looking really good! Great job matching the green siding to the doors on the casting. I also like your brick and mortar coloring on the side wall. Concrete pad is well done as are the barrels. Spot on with your observation--a subtle hint of color here and there makes the scene pop.
    If you're concerned about the gap between the castings, those are perfect spots to add stray weeds and vines. It'll disguise the gaps and look natural.

Good job!
  • Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Robert, I'm going to try to steal your tarpaper technique for the roof of the main building. Hopefully I can pull it off half as good as you did. You just used the single ply of a tissue correct?

Carl, I'm really enjoying the kit so far. I'd love the see what you do with it. Your Engine House is a masterpiece.

Joel, These complete subassemblies really make this kit come together quickly. I only spent about 30 minutes coloring and weathering the dock.

Ken, Brett really has the best castings in the business. These castings are really great but the ones from O'Neill's are even better than these. The resin is so much easier to work with. Those old kits with the lead castings are much harder to work with and the lead dust from cleaning the flash isn't good for anyone.

Bill, I was a little concerned because the gap is over the loading dock planking. I figure I'll just have to hide it with castings and maybe a little bit of vegetation or a newspaper. Even a couple pieces of scrap wood piled up will cover it up nicely.

I'm at a standstill with the walls because my kit was missing the laser cut outer window frames. Of course that's the risk of purchasing kits on Ebay. Brett was nice enough to cut me a new sheet, I'm just waiting for it to get here. Until then I'm going to try to get all the details done and do some roof experimentation.

-Steve
  • Correct Steve. Give it a try on a piece of scrap, but you'll see, it's very simple. Just be gentle, one layer is very thin and fragile !!!
  • Thanks Robert, I'm going to try it out a bit tonight I think.

Thanks Ed.

I painted a few more castings today.

2018-02-04 001
    I find these big gang castings to always be a little overwhelming to paint at first.
    Half my problem is I really don't know what some of the smaller parts in the bins are or what color they are supposed to be. If I don't know it's usually black or rusty.

2018-02-04 003
    2018-02-04 002

• Great work on the details. I really like the little flashes of colour. Muted but really effective.
  • Steve, very nice details. I really like the pipes in the last photo.

Geezerbill
  • Great casting work Steve. Love that last one above, the finish and coloring on those pipes is excellent and the piece as a whole is wonderfully done. Suggestion my good man...the casting above the last...looks very monotone but well done. Maybe some contrasting colors for some of the boxes/crates and/or highlight the workbench top. Looks like everything melts together with the same color and texture.Also those metal straps on some of the crates might look great with some rust color just on the straps.
  • I almost forgot this is in HO scale. Makes it even more amazing! Fantastic work...
  • Thanks everyone.

I added a bit of color to the one casting as Ken suggested.

2018-02-06 002

I added a few rags for some color and drybrushed a few of the crates with some different browns. I always have a tough time finding the balance between monotone and adding so much color it takes away from the natural blending of the different pieces. I made the rags using single ply tissue crumpled up, dabbed with rubbing alcohol and touched with Garnet Red. Once it dries I dusted them with some 408.3 chalk to make them look dirty.

I only have a few more smaller details to paint and I'm done with that portion of the build.

-Steve
  • Steve what you are doing in HO is just as good or better than some of the O scale work that I have seen. ...........Carl
  • A small change but it makes a big difference. Really like the castings so far.
  • The rags add a nice "pop" to the casting
  • I like the rags as well Steve, it adds not only some color and realism but also personalizes that casting and blends it into the scene you will develop.
  • Thanks everyone for the feedback. This forum is a really great way to improve my modeling. Having my work examined under close up photos by some of the best modelers in the hobby really helps me do my best.

I got the replacement window pieces from Brett on Saturday. He really didn't have to replace these pieces, I didn't purchase this kit directly from him. I bought it second hand several years after he manufactured it. Not only does he make the best kits in the hobby he's also a great guy.

Now I can move forward with the walls and start really putting the building together.

2018-02-11 001

2018-02-11 002
    These laser cut windows are really the most fun to put together. You have so much freedom to weather and modify them to your liking. I colored them with Apple Barrel Khaki and weathered them with A&I and chalk.

Thanks for checking in and thanks to Brett for the great customer service.

-Steve

• edited February 2018
    I think these walls and windows look really great !
  • Steve. You have done a great color selection this is going to be good. ................Carl
  • Looks great Steve and your welcome! Happy to help out.
  • Hey Steve,

The walls look great as well as the windows.

I was curious have you ever tried caulk over this kind of siding? I tried getting a nice gray on some clapboard using caulks on untreated clapboard siding and cant seem to get it to absorb in like you can using stripwoods. How much do you thin if any on the paint. I am use to using enamels that are thinned and brushed on like you do on the passenger station and fuel depot from Logging essentials and get really great results but plain grey weathered siding is eluding me.

Jim
  • Jim I use Hunter Line stains and they have a driftwood that works well E Mail me and I will show you what I mean. ............Carl sidebox1998@gmail.com
  • Great window detailing Steve. The color choice works well for you. I like how you weathered those guys...not overdone but lots to notice...I really enjoy working up Brett's windows and doors as well with so much individualization going into each one, as you have so well demonstrated. Well done Steve.
  • Thanks Everyone.

Jim, I haven't tried to do weathered gray siding using any of the newer techniques yet. I used to get a decent sunbleached gray using floquil paints heavily thinned. Tru-Color makes a flat grimy black that might work well. I'm not sure what the thinner would be for those. They have pretty weak coverage right out of the bottle so they would make a decent gray stain.

2018-02-14 001
    I tried a new technique to me using tissues to simulate curtains. Brett describes this in the manual and it's pretty easy to do. The technique is based off an old Lane Stewart article in the Gazette.

2018-02-15 001
    I'm assembling this kit a little different than the instructions. The instructions have everything glued to the diorama base at this stage with a good amount of the scenery and detailing added. I put everything together a bit out of order.

2018-02-15 002

2018-02-15 003
    2018-02-15 004

I ended up painting the wood cap on the top of the stone wall green to match the walls. I weathered it with black chalk to blend it a bit. It also started to pull off the stone foundation a bit so I pulled it off and reglued it with some heavier clamps.

Thanks for checking in. Tomorrow I'm going to start figuring out the base and working on the roof.

-Steve

• Steve. Real nice work as always like the curtains looking real good. ......Carl
  • Steve nice weathering and stone work.

Jerry
  • Window detail looks wonderful Steve. The curtains look great and very natural. Cap colored as the walls I think was the right call. Blends in with the siding perfectly. Great progress.