visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Variations on a theme... The Woodcutters'

2»

Comments

• May I present you, dear fellow SW builders, my version of The Woodcutters Shack. Except for one item, it is finished. And this one item is the woodcutting figure. I am not quiet sure what to do with this little guy. As is, I don't think he's good enough to use. He, as Brett mentioned on the little green paper, doesn't stands up to the usual SW quality standards.
    And I totally agree. So, ether I will do a lot of work on him, try to find a better version or sculpt one myself. We'll see.
    I enjoyed the ride and hope you as well. When you get tired of the photos, I made a lot, just scroll down.....

DSCN2546 2

DSCN2547

DSCN2548

DSCN2549

DSCN2550

DSCN2551

DSCN2553

DSCN2554

DSCN2555

DSCN2557

DSCN2558

DSCN2559

DSCN2560

DSCN2561

DSCN2563

DSCN2564

DSCN2565

DSCN2567
    DSCN2568

DSCN2569
    DSCN2571

DSCN2573

DSCN2577

DSCN2578

DSCN2579

DSCN2580

DSCN2583

DSCN2602

And I leave you with this one. Thanks Brett and you all for taking the time to watch.

DSCN2598

Robert :wink:

• edited May 2018
    The green mold/moss on the roof shingles is great....perhaps this was covered in an earlier post but it really sets off the shingles

What’s the next project of your workbench....looking forward to following it as well

Terry
  • As usual, Robert, your work is impeccable. Some, no...most of those pictures defy recognition as a model rather than a photo of a real 1:1 structure.

What do you use to take the pictures, by the way? I assume it is not an old iPhone 4S....

Vince
  • edited May 2018
    Just an old , small Nikon Coolpix , nothing fancy..
  • Beautiful work Robert. Too much to comment on individually! Superb modeling in all respects.
  • I agree with Ken. Beautiful colour and texture. It all works together as one amazing diorama. Thanks for inspiring.
  • Like I have said before, I thought these were pictures of a 1 to 1 scale woodcutters shack. Absolutely marvelous
  • An excellent diorama. Great work.
  • Excellent work..all the color tones look so natural.

Well Done.
    Alan
  • edited May 2018
    Fantastic Robert, a beautiful diorama with your unmistakable eye (and execution) on the colours, textures and finish of absolutely everything.

A couple of things I really like about it (but there is more I like about it).
    I love the light, airy, spacious feel you convey and have achievied, although it looks like you used the original placements.

The flow and your rearrangement of the details works very well.

The "SierraWest" logo as a sign is also something I try to subtly do on each build, your placement of it and 'slight' but well thought out obscurement of it is perfect.

I love the corrugated sheet over the chopped wood, it's something I've been meaning to do for quite a while on a dio, (I have one in real life and thought it would be cool to model), however, you beat me to it and it looks fantastic.

Great modelling all around.

Karl.A
  • Thanks Karl and everybody, glad you like my version of this kit.

Yes I've tried to make the ensemble more dynamic by placing the different structures not in line.

There is a little more space between the shack and the six pole shed, the tank on its platform is placed slightly backwards and a little further away from the shack. I added shutters to the windows, so they have to be opened, otherwise there is no point in doing so.

Because the woodcutter decided to put the old chest of drawers with al his 'well organized' stuff in it , where it stands now, the right hand shutter wasn't of any use anymore, so he just took it down and dumped it under the window, behind the stacked boxes and cans.

Although it is on a base with the original dimensions, it gives , like you've noticed so well, a more airy feel to the diorama. The same with the shack itself. It is placed on a concrete slab to elevate it a bit. Make it a little more important than the other artifacts .

One doesn't see much of that, but it justifies the two steps up to the porch made of old sleepers. Again , a nice detail.

At first , I thought, where am I gonna put all these castings. There are so much of them. But finally, except a few, there almost all there....

On the other hand, I didn't place all the signs. As for the SW logo, I thought it would be an interesting cameo..but not to obvious. That's why it is placed more or less behind other stuff. Just for the attentive observer to discover.

I also have a piece of corrugated sheet over chopped wood in my garden and it's a simple yet nice detail to imitate on a diorama. Goes to show that you've just have to keep your eyes open and see what goes on around you.

I don't know if anyone noticed the swallow's nest, under the tarpaper roof of the shed ? And the inevitable poo drippings on the wood beneath it ...

For the arrangement of things, just try to be the woodcutter and think logic. Use the little grey cells.. :wink:

• Robert,

What is this?
    8H7QEXFWJCVQ

I've called around asking for styrene tube. i've also thought of using fishing line, and building it up with the below product?

C9F1KZES7WHQ
  • Amazing. The photo composition adds to the stunning beauty of the model
  • a sparrow's nest? seriously?