visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

How do you make the money to support this hobby?

2»

Comments

• I don't have as much time for modeling now as I would like, but after all this hard work when I retire...i'm really gonna retire and tackle my hobby!
  • admin said:

Ok, gotta ask - what is "Mobile Dustless Blasting", I mean the name is descriptive but what are you blasting... (I googled it but it more fun to hear from the source!)

Picture a mobile sandblasting system on a trailer but instead of sand I use recycled bottle glass and water with a rust inhibitor added. What I blast? Almost anything that needs paint or rust removed , cars, boats, buildings....
  • I’m a plumber/gas fitter and up until a few years ago used to photograph weddings on the side.
  • Eric. I wil spend the rest of the day just looking at your wonderful work. ...........Carl.......
  • edited October 2018
    Carl, that made my day! I could not hope for more on this planet.
  • Eric,

Upon close scrutiny of the street scene image with the cars parked along the curb under the Chop Suey sign I spotted "Turner Cafe". Nice tribute to a friend.

Later, dave S. Tucson, AZ:
  • Dave! Well done. Notice his N is turned around? I will tell tell Lee!
  • edited January 2019
    There is a lot of interesting and talented people here. When I was working, I worked in the automotive industry primarily in the parts department of GM car dealerships for over 30 years. I then worked at a place called "The Old Car Center" which is a place that sells parts for old Fords and hot rod parts. After that, I had my own business inspecting lease return vehicles for GM and Chrysler. After I retired, I resorted to bank robbery, which got me nowhere. I had to retire due to a bad back and neck which turned out to be a birth defect and am now living in quite a lot of pain which limits a lot of activities. I am unable to do any work for more than an an hour or so, then have to take some pretty severe pain meds which puts me into la la land. This is why it takes me so long to build Brett's kits.

In addition to model railroading and building Brett's fantastic kits, this is my other labor of love. I built this from the ground up and have won a number of trophies, and was extremely happy to get awarded "Best Hot Rod" at the car show this photo was taken at. However, due to my disability, it takes me almost the whole day just to change the oil in my toy.
    IMG_1463
  • edited January 2019
    Mike, that is some fantastic metal work on that COE.
  • Dave, we are both motor heads. Just bought this. All original but my wheel treatment which I've used on my 1963, 1964, 1965, and 1966 Chevrolet Impalas. But this Mopar rocked me! 340 h.p.

48390259_1826278347498038_8088474229361606656_o
  • I started in the retail hobby business by opening my first hobby shop in 1973. Not very profitable but great fun and met all my long time friends there. Went into the video rental business in 1980, long before Blockbuster came around. Not as much fun but certainly more profitable. Then about 2000 I started filming and selling how-to videos on weathering, scratchbuilding and such. A lot of fun and actually profitable. Youtube killed that business, but not before I was too old to work anyway. Great life. Hundreds of friends all over the world. Still building models every day at 74.
  • First, I salute all the talented folks here.
    I am a Mechanical Engineer at a Aerospace company here in Brea Ca.
    I design IFE equipment (In Flight Entertainment Systems) for Airbus, Boeing and others.

Cant show pic's because I will get in trouble :smile:.

One of my first kit's I bought from SierraWest was the O Scale Dueling Shacks which I recommend to get acquainted with Brett's kits. Lots of great info here.
    I have posted my pics on the Dueling Shacks thread.

I am currently working on the HO scale Brass & Iron Foundry and have since April 2019.
    Taking my time. Lots of great details on this kit and very time consuming!
    I will issue pics of this build in the near future.

I also have the O'Neills Fabrication and the Logging Camp yet to build.

So, that being said, Do I want to make money after a build?...Nope.

But If I die the wife may want to sell all my builds..lol

Brett, Thanks for all your great kits and support....best on the planet!!
    And thanks to all the others here for all the support and great info.

Can't wait for the New HO Scale Pirate Kit!!

Pappy

• Looking forward to seeing your take on the Brass & Iron Foundry!!

Jerry
  • Did some time in the Marines as an infantryman before heading back to college. Now I sit on my butt all day and write software for about 3 years now.