visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

New product requests/ re-release pleadings...

Comments

• heard a rumor about possible figures coming out, any of them going to be millwrights?
  • How about the mill engine and boiler house in HO? Any of the CHB mill engines and boilers would be great additions for HO since the range of kit manufacturers of this sort of thing has diminished. Would like the machine shop tools too, though I don't know if something that delicate would be practical to make.

As for the O-scale mill engine and boiler house, could someone post a photo of how the power from the engine is passed outside the building? You can see the second wheel hugging the rafters but I can't seem to find any sign of a shaft extending out. Maybe it's time for new glasses?
  • edited August 2011

As for the O-scale mill engine and boiler house, could someone post a photo of how the power from the engine is passed outside the building?
    Mike,

the shaft runs out through the back wall and across the 'yard' on the O scale version.

Upon exiting the rear of the building it can be connected to whatever setup you prefer.

I'll personally have it running across the yard and driving the shingle mill, suspended on bents for the span.
    This is prototypical and was done at many mills to reduce the chances/danger of an exploding Mill Engine/boiler destroying the entire mill and wiping out the whole operation.

Karl.A
  • You know what would be really cool to see? An O scale Eureka Springs Engine House kit. Certainly one of my favorite Sierra West kits! Wish I could have scored one of the original HO ones!
  • What would be cool would be to digitize all the CHB and SW castings so masters could be 3D printed in any scale...
  • What would be cool would be to digitize all the CHB and SW castings so masters could be 3D printed in any scale...
    I second that but do not have the skills to do it. Who wants to take up the challenge?
  • Bryan K - got something way cooler than a straight upscale of the engine house in the works for next year...

MikeM - have investigated the 3D printing (stereo lithography) and have found the resolution is not there yet in a cost effective manner. The print on demand services make some mighty nice reproductions but they are still a bit rough by CHB standards... someday!
  • edited March 2012
    Just to be clear, I wasn't thinking about 3D printing for production purposes but rather for masters. From the picture I posted above I would assume that a large working master could either be scanned or modeled digitally and then rescaled to O-scale, HO, whatever you want; production castings would be done from these "2nd-generation" masters. Judging from that gear (and whatever that other thing is supposed to be) we might even see SierraWest venturing into N or Z scales... Just imagine if the attached were a sawmill or skidder...

I have a hard time imagining the CHB masters being much smoother at these magnifications!
  • Ooooo now you perked my ears Brett! Can't wait to see!
  • edited April 2012
    Now that the HO/HOn3 work trains are being temporarily made available (if only briefly) how about considering a re-release of the HO logging disconnects and variants? I seem to recall asking this question a long time ago and there being some issue with wheelsets so perhaps these could be set up to use the NWSL wheelsets (purchased by the modeler separately from NWSL; I'd eye the spoked wheel versions)?
  • the discon's are on my list but there is a lot of work in getting them back to market so - not any time soon....
  • I've been admiring the O Scale Backwoods Sawmill Project...how about a version in HO ?
  • More Deer Creek, especially Central Camp. Gotta get the donkeys into the mix, can't wait to see what Brett does with those, especially if he decides to depict machines under construction. Would also like to see something that uses the lumber put out by the mills to create some other product; the shipyard goes a long way toward that but it would be nice to see others.
  • I second the vote for "Central Camp" and .... my railroad needs another source of income to go along with the Lumber.....That would be the Deer Creek Mining Complex. The combination of the Timber and the Mining would save the railroad.
  • I keep eyeing Blue sky (o scale) but there is no way I have enough room with current space allocation.Any chance the repair yard portion could be issued as a separate module? Would look good with some of the smaller buildings . I notice Wiseman models now have a couple Bates for sale too.
  • James, the 2 parts of the build don't have to go together.
  • Thanks - yes that is part of the appeal of the kit - I just don't have room right now for the store/ warehouse component
  • edited March 2015
    Sorry James, not going to split the diorama up...
  • Was prowling about the website this morning and saw the reference to a future Deer Creek Central Camp was still there. Is this still a future concept and if so what might it contain?
  • Central Camp will be a multi-structure diorama that links the Loco Shop with the logging/sawmill side of Deer Creek. I am planning on working on this kit later this year...
  • edited May 2013
    Don't know what the status might be of a future Deer Creek Box Factory but thought this link could either give some ideas or at least be a pleasant watch (from a posting on the Yahoo 4L group)...
  • i would kill to have a few of brett's kits in N scale. i realize it'd be very difficult for him to do the castings in N, but maybe a couple of kits with limited detail castings? oh pretty please??
  • MikeM: Thanks for posting this.

First time I've seen the the different sections combined into a single movie. Will have to put a visit on my bucket list!
  • i would kill to have a few of brett's kits in N scale. i realize it'd be very difficult for him to do the castings in N, but maybe a couple of kits with limited detail castings? oh pretty please??
    I have certainly considered testing the N Scale market over the years but it always becomes a matter of not having enough time... you never know however, maybe someday.

I have certainly considered testing the N Scale market over the years but it always becomes a matter of not having enough time... you never know however, maybe someday.

teaser.....
    the main reason that i'm interested in seeing swsm kits in n scale is for your world famous techniques and instructions.
    well, that and i would sure like to try my hand building one (or three). :)
  • Brett, since this is a thread about 'what we would like to see and re-release pleadings' I would like to see the Foss' landing (kit 3000F) and Shelby's Marine (kit 3005) re-released.
  • Ouch...you just missed a Foss Landing re-release late summer of 2014. Sold out fast as always.
  • edited May 2015
    Darn, day late and a dollar short. Guess I'll keep an eye peeled on e-bay and some of the forums, one might turn up. I fired an e-mail off to a forum member who had a "no frills" version of Shelby's up for sale, but I didn't see where it had been sold. Keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks for your reply on Foss' Landing. In the mean time, I have the Shipyard at Foss' Landing to keep me happy.
  • just me wondering if "some day" (for swsm to release n scale versions) is even a remote possibility?
  • maybe someday...