visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

SW Twin Mills build with a little twist

Comments

• The internet truelly has made the world a much smaller place for sure. Its made it possible for people from all over the world to share our love for these wonderful Sierra West kits.

Look forward to your next update Nejc.
  • Thanks! :)

I had to change the log deck machinery, because logs weren't pushed far enough with the old configuration:
    slika1

...so I added another speed reduction gear set:
    slika2

slika3

slika4

I also added a different log kicker:
    slika5

slika6

slika7

...and now something that was one of the most challenging things in my modelling ''career'' till now - designing, building and mounting the upper husk. Before mounting:
    slika8

slika9

You can see the tensioning pulley here:
    slika10

...which can be operated via this lever (it's purpose is to ''shut down'' the upper husk saw, when logs are smaller):
    slika11

slika12

slika13

Upper husk mounted (note the mirror configuration of the new mill's side wall - reason is improved visibility of the interior equipment):
    slika14

slika15

Three identical holes on the second floor are for the lighting and long linear hole is for lifting the saws up for sharpening:
    slika16

slika17

slika18

slika19

slika20

slika21

slika22

slika23

slika24

slika25

That's it for now :)

Nejc
  • This is great modeling. Your attention to detail will make this a masterpiece.
  • Wondefully done Nejc, the detail is terrific and so masterfully constructed and weathered. Beautiful.
  • A "little" twist is an understatement! Really coming along nicely
  • Wow, you're really nice, thank you very much! :)

• Hi Nejc,
    Fantastic job! The machinery and the sawmill are wonderfully done. I am really looking forward to seeing it in the layout. The catenary system on your first picture is really cool and really love this type of rail system. Keep up the fantastic work.

Jim
  • Ed, Slavoj Zizek is one of the most recognized philosophers in the world. And yes, he makes you think, very deep stuff :)

Thanks Jim!

A bit of progress - machinery in the new mill is done and machinery in the old mill is almost done.

Here are the pictures of the cut off saw and the overhead log turner in the new sawmill:
    slika1

Cut off saw:
    slika2

slika3

Mechanism for switching between tight and loose wheel:
    slika4

slika5

slika6

Overhead log turner:
    slika7

slika8

slika9

slika10

slika11

slika12

slika13

slika14

slika15

slika16

Old mill pictures coming soon :)

Nejc
  • Wow, this is really neat stuff. Your workmanship is fantastic.
  • Nejc (I'm not sure if that's you're name!)
    The belt system and the rest of the interior looks terrific! I did want to point out the overhead log turner...it's extremely red and stands out from all the other details.

• Nejc, great, great detail work. I can't believe the detail. Bill is right with his comment. I thought is was a temporary part. Phil
  • Thanks guys! :)

Yes Bill, my name is Nejc :) ...and you're absolutely right that the friction cones are too bright. I'll tone them down ;)

Nejc
  • Here's the new version of friction cones:
    slika17
    ...I don't know why I had in mind that they are so reddish :)

Pictures of the old mill:
    slika18

slika19

slika20

Note the overhead log turner and lifting system for the press rolls of the edger (modeled after Phillips Brothers Sawmill edger):
    slika21

slika22

slika23

slika24

slika25

Another cut off saw:
    slika26

slika27

slika28

slika29

slika30

...next on production line are steam engines and boilers :)

• NejcR--
    The color of the friction cones looks spot on after the touch up.
    Can I offer one more suggestion (or am I pushing my luck)??

Looking at the areas where the moving parts make contact, they'd be pretty shiny because of the friction. Simple fix: If you take a plain old pencil and go over those surfaces, you'll get a cool polished effect that looks like wear from metal on metal rubbing. Just take the pencil and rub the lead on the angled edges only:

IMG_2233

I use this technique on any pieces that show metal wear: teeth on gears, pulleys, anvil surfaces, tools, etc.

IMG_2218
  • Hehe, thanks Ed! :)

Bill, any suggestions are always welcome!
    Were these things made out of metal? I had no idea how cones show wear but then I found a coloured picture of the overhead log turner from the McLean sawmill in WSM book. It seems to me like white/grey patina over the big wheel friction surface. So I used a mixure of pencil and chalks to achive this:

slika31

slika32

What do you think?

Regards, Nejc
  • Nejc--

Some times color photos can show machinery that is really old, broken down, or completely out of service. Raw metal will oxidize in no time if it isn't seeing regular use.
    I'm no expert, but I think most of those transfer wheels were all metal. I have heard of some called "paper friction drive" wheels which look like this:

IMG_0226

So, in this case, both wheels are metal but one was wrapped with a paper material. In my sawmill there is a set of transfer wheels that are called "angled bevel friction wheels". Most of it is hidden, but I modeled them shiny like this:

IMG_0225

At this point it's probably splitting hairs. You're doing such a nice job on this model I figured I share my thoughts with you. With the more muted coloring, I'd say it's perfectly acceptable.

• edited March 2017
    Ed, great to hear this. I'm glad that it sounds interesting :)

Bill, McLean sawmill is still operating (or at least it was when those pictures were taken), so it shows wear quite realistically.
    Anyways, I looked at the Ralph C. Bryant book Lumber if overhead log turners are described into detail and voila - bigger wheel was made out of steel, two smaller ones were paper-faced friction wheels. I guess it's always similar with friction drives, one wheel being paper-faced for better friction.
    So here's the latest version of the overhead log turners, with two smaller cones ''paper wrapped'':

slika33

slika34

slika35

slika36

• Your Slovene is very good! :smiley:
  • Wonderful work.
  • That is some outstanding work. Hard to believe your getting this quality in HO.

Jerry
  • Thanks again :)
    You're right Ed, plus a detailed description of this type of log turner (with picture) is in the book I mentioned before, called Lumber...

Here's the progress on boiler and engine room:
    slika1

slika2

slika3

slika4

slika5

slika6

slika7

slika8

slika9

slika10

slika11

slika12

slika13

slika14

Nejc
  • Outstanding there my friend, Well done.
    Carl
  • Looks great. I like the cracks in the concrete floor.
  • Nejc, again you continue to amaze me with your talent, especially with regard to the construction of the machinery. I know you are not finished, but the one thing I find is that your scenes are too clean. Of course, I'm sure you will take care of that in the end with endless amounts of oil, sawdust, and dirt. Keep up the good work. Phil
  • The weathering on the brick boiler casting is superb. Well done!
  • Great job Nejc. All the machinery looks fantastic as does the brick.
  • Thanks a lot guys! :)

Phil,
    you're right, many details still to come! Small tools, boxes, benches, tiny details overall, some stains...I'll also put some slabs and sawdust to the boiler house - plus I'm planning to get flickering flames into left boiler, holes are already prepared. But I'll keep sawdust out of the machine house, I think that they were cleaning it pretty thoroughly from there.

Ed,
    Laibach isn't my type of band actually :) ...I'm more of a rock guy. We have fantastic rock bands here, my favourites are Siddharta and Big Foot Mama. They're leading music groups in Slovenia. Been to many concerts, in last December they made a collabo concert - big stage split in two, each half for one group. One of the best experiences in my life, best Slovenian rockers singing one song each (plus singing songs of each other) and of course some songs together...
    Specially Siddharta have some songs in English and were pretty big hits at the time of release all over Europe. I'm sure that they would be world class if they weren't from small country like Slovenia :) You have to check out My Dice (Slovenian title Ring), Insane (Slovenian title Napoj), Samo edini (this is Slovenian title, but on youtube there's an English version too) and THOR (Slovenian title the same). Masterpieces :)

While I'm waiting for some bevel gears to finish the overhead belt drive system, I finished the lighting but it's not yet installed, because belt drive needs to be finished first. I also made progress on the old mill roof, pictures soon...

Nejc

• Very nice work already, with the drive finished and the lights installed it is going to be fantastic.
  • You're welcome Ed :) Well, lucky you, I'd like to see Pink Floyd too for sure...

Thank you Karl, nice to hear from you :)

• Wonderful work Nejc, so nice to see this kind of attention to detail. Imaging is great!