visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Realistic Weathering by Mother Nature.

1235»

Comments

• I don't know if this picture belongs here or not, but I came across this on the Colorado mining site on facebook.

Steam engine
  • edited March 2022
    A great example Jim,
    I find myself studying the pipe fittings and connections... they look just like Bretts... (obviously), but it's great to see a real life version.

I also like the light grey 'repaint', I know it's a standard color but the contrast between the light grey chipped, and then the bare metal is really nice, I did it on my last tractor, I think I'll be using that color again soon.

Thanks for the post.
  • A old barn that had a addition note the difference on the roof and the siding/
    P1040673

P1040674

P1040676

P1040677

P1040678
  • Great weathering example Carl….thanks for posting
    Terry
  • the ever elusive silver/gray.....
  • the top ends of the boards that have not weathered. If I did not know better I would think Dr.Grunge sanded the edges of the boards with his sanding wand. Randy
  • I swear Randy, I was never there!...is that my hat in the bushes right there...maybe not...:)
  • as i'm heading south on I94 from kenosha, i can just see the top of a wooden water tower behind a big berm as you approach the first toll, and for the past 10 years or so i've been telling myself to knock on the door and ask permission to photograph it (it's on private property), and now that i'm retired, i will probably do that in the next two weeks. it's gonna be 92 today and 100 tomorrow, so it won't be this week. if i'm able to gain permission, i'll post the photos here.
  • Yes Kevin, get those photos. I'm building a twin water tower now
  • brownbr said:

Yes Kevin, get those photos. I'm building a twin water tower now

it's supposed to cool into the 70s next week, so i will try to get permission to take pics of it then.

• Ties
    I see ties beside the rails modeled, but never like these. This is beside the Georgia Coastal Railway in Kingsland, GA....Rick
  • Ties 2
    Or these along the Great Smokey Mountain Railroad.Love the leaves covering them.
  • Alot of the old wooden ties now when they are replaced by concrete ones are sold to contractors or disposed of in an 'environmentaly friendly' way due to the creosote and preservative chemicals used in days gone by.
    As grey as those ones are they have been there for a very long time...

Certainly a pretty sight that these days is sadly rarely seen, thanks for sharing.
  • Nice shots. Were you on a train ride?
  • If you model the older days, there's no reason you couldn't model this scene near a yard or something. The ecology didn't become all that popular until the late 70's as I remember, so a small pile in places seems ok.
  • I drive by this old tractor frequently. I think it's a McCormick-Deering tractor which was a line of tractors sold by International Harvester. This is what inspired me to "weather" my Fordson to be completely rusted out.
    IMG_1677(1)
  • The Tree.

tree_HERO2-JeremyBishop-Unsplash_DP
  • What a beautiful tree!!!!

Jerry
  • Some tractor inspiration.
    20230609_093050 Resize
    20230609_094640 Resize
    20230609_095006 Resize
  • Nice reference pics...
  • THE OLD BARN.

2988fa0a-1cec-ed11-90ff-f40343f49558