visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

BlueSky Company Warehouse HO/HOn3

Comments

• Wow, you continue to raise the bar Ken! I am so impressed with the attention to small details. Have to keep telling myself you are modeling in HO Scale...
  • Checking in? I am following avidly and learning tons. I plan on stealing all your ideas for my O scale version.
  • Well with that response Brett, my Sunday is going to end way better than it started! Thanks so much for your thoughts here. I have said this before but it's worth repeating...you invest so much time and energy into research and production of the finest scale model kits available anywhere...period, and that motivates me, and I assume many others here as well, to do my/our best work. This is evident in the overall quality of the modeling here...well done guys.
  • Hi Ken

Still following along and admiring your work. You doing a true Sierra West kit justice buddy. Love it.
  • edited January 2017
    Hey Joel, good to hear there is some useful information here. The O scale version of course comes with laser cut framed walls for the barn which will make the damaged and rotted areas much easier to do.

Thanks Wes, always nice to have you along. Still feels awesome to be building Brett's first kit! Appreciate the thoughts on treating it as it deserves...
  • That wall looks fantastic Ken, I love the color. The hinges look great also. Starting off strong with this one.
  • Thanks Steve, that first wall just sets the tone for the entire diorama and that's one reason I started with the front wall... where all the action is!
  • "The O scale version of course comes with laser cut framed walls for the barn which will make the damaged and rotted areas much easier to do."

Just another reason to switch over to O Scale...
  • Dr. Grunge,

Good looking crusty rust. It looks like its been exposed to the weather for 50 years.

Mitch
  • Thanks Mitch...just having a ball as usual mucking things up!
  • edited February 2017
    The walls of the barn are all boarded and I'm now working on some additional details. Here is the right wall with the second story door staged in place. I really enjoy trying new things with each build. The door is a resin casting that is included in the kit along with three other doors and windows all resin. I wanted to try and do a paint peel effect rather than just a plain wood colored door and frame.

I first primed the door with SWSM/Reaper "Dirty Grey" 29835. When did the paint peel I wanted the "wood" underneath to appear old and aged. When this was dry I applied my white. When this was dry to the touch I picked and scraped the white to create the peeled effect. Then dusted with chalks and darkened the threshold with AI...

The holes to the right are for some exterior plumbing I'm working on.

IMG_0970

Right barn wall with boarding complete and the second story door staged in place. The door is a really nicely detailed resin casting Brett includes in the kit. Need to install the "glass" yet...more later
  • Perfection once again from Doctor grunge. That bottom right hand corner in the first pic is the bees knees. Love it.
  • Ken, I want to get this straight. Your first application of the grey was allowed to dry completely. However, your second application of white was allowed to dry to the touch so you could easily pick away parts of the white. Is that right? Did you completely cover the door with the white? Phil
  • Awesome texture, relief, details, and shadows. just like an old barn!
  • Thanks Wes, I liked the way that corner turned and to take it one step further the adjacent back wall has some damage in the same are so the rotted area extends "around the corner" I'll illustrate this when the walls are together. The exterior plumbing will give additional cause for the rotted area.

Right Phil. The base coat was fully dry and the white was just dry to the touch so it was easy to scrape and "peel". I still went down to the resin in many places but the follow-up with the darker chalks took care of that. The center sections of the paneled door were peeled but it look like too much white and too busy so I scraped most of it off as you can see and that looked much better to me.
  • Thanks much Brett. Please...I'm partial to "Grungy" old barn! Almost like having my name on it, should have printed GRUNGY'S on the front...
  • Best work yet. Thanks for sharing with us.
  • Thanks for the explanation Ken.
  • Appreciate that Alan, how's your projects coming along?

You bet Phil...
  • More first time experiments with BlueSky. I decided to try some exterior plumbing. This area isn't highly visible and can be toned down visually by scenic work etc...depending on how I like the look once it's planted on the diorama. The straight vertical pipe will have a piece that will extend up through the edge of the roof and about a scale foot above the roof to act as the vent. This will be installed after the roof's on. In addition the clean out access at the bottom will have a pipe disappearing into the ground. Have a few more details to finish here but the general idea is there. There will be a wet area in this corner giving credence to the rotted area. Not a plumber so don't be overcritical of the routing just did what came to mind. The second floor would have sink, toilet, etc. gravity fed from the water tank on the roof. First floor just a sink/wash basin whatever.

IMG_0989

IMG_0992
  • that's awesome! not oversized or clunky, perfect and tasteful. blends well with the wall and looks so natural - excellent!
  • Thanks Brett...I was concerned that it would be a bit overpowering but the stairs coming down and some scenic work it should blend in and look pretty good I think. A few boards and/or old scrap pipes or metal posts leaning up against it will soften the look.
  • I really like the pipes...where did you get them?

Alan
  • Nice touch
  • Thanks Alan, sent you a PM...

Appreciate that Bryan, it appears a bit busy to me but that back end of BlueSky has the stairs coming down partially in front of the plumbing and a bit of scenic work and clutter will blend that corner in nicely.
  • First clapboard wall for BlueSky to verify the color and general finish. Wanted a darker and dingy appearance to match the barn look.

IMG_0998

First clapboard wall to check color and general finish. More detailing to go but gives me a basis for the remaining walls.
  • I'll say its excellent Ken!! just amazing what you do.

Geezerbill
  • edited February 2017
    Very cool, Ken! I love how all the "utilities" come together in that corner.
    Are you going to dry brush them a little?

Your subtle paint peel on the clapboard wall is killer! And THAT's how to add nail holes!
  • Wow (again, I have to find a new word). Brilliant idea. Not too big, understated but obviously needed.