visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

BlueSky Company Warehouse HO/HOn3

Comments

• Thanks David, I was hoping for some feedback as I initially thought it was a bit dark but the more I do the more I like that look...

You got it Phil.

Appreciate that Steve, from one old dusty barn builder to another...
  • I like that dark tone. It immediately implies cinders & soot. Lots of coal burning locos took their toll on a once pristine wood finish!
  • There ya go Bill...perfectly logical explanation for my wayward barn color choice! Actually if you do a search on "Old Barns" quite a few age and weather very dark. Working diligently on the doors for the barn. They are coming along nicely and should be posting those soon.

Thanks much for the note and support there Bill...
  • I was lucky and purchased an early BlueSky kit last month on eBay for $350. I plan to build it, however it be many months down the road at the soonest, perhaps even next year. Only because my current list of kits already in my build queue. Too much fun ahead of me. But to find an unbuilt BS (with wood) is not easy these days, I had to secure it, even if it sits unbuilt for a while. I am watching this thread for ideas and expert findings that will be a great enhancement for my future build. enjoying it and the strip wood thread. THANKS.
  • JP...same here, I had a heck of a time finding BlueSky in HO/HOn3 but kept patient and finally snagged a good kit. I had mine for at least a couple years before starting my build here. I have lots go nifty details in store for this build so glad to hear you'll be following along. Your welcome and keep in touch...
  • Finished the initial work on the main barn doors. I decided to go with wood doors as I wanted to detail them a bit different than the loft doors. I fashioned the doors from stripwood and then made some strap hinges from styrene strip and cut solder wire for bolt heads. I painted and rusted the hinges and glued on to the cross supports. I was going to use rivet heads for the hinge bolts but they appeared a bit big despite using the smallest ones I could get. They also looked to uniform. I found an image on a web search (see below) that had the bolt heads somewhat small and irregular, and that's the look I wanted. I cut small disks from solder wire and glued those to my styrene strips. I also made up some handles. Once the doors are glued to the frame I will add the hinge and pin on the jab end. On to the loft doors...

P1260021

Barn doors made from stripwood and strap hinges from styrene strip and solder wire bolt heads. Hinge pins to follow once installed.

41930307-large-old-barn-doors-with-peeling-green-paint-in-white-brick-wall-Stock-Photo
  • Doors look amazing...can I buy some O scale doors from you?
  • They sure are amazing. I'll take the second O scale batch.

Geezerbill
  • Ken.
    Great job on the doors.
    Carl
  • Hey Dr Grunge MOW, AES,

Ken, I decided to give you some more credentials to go along with the Dr. part. MOW stands for master of the wood and AES stands for and everything that is exceptionally small. I think there is no limitations in your creativity for sure. You certainly have earned those credentials after the excellent thread on detailing wood. You know I think your would detailing is exceptional after seeing your first build. THANKS for doing the wood detailing thread!

The wall looks great: weathered, old, some dry rot, and sooty. The stencilling is just right not too bright and looks weathered.

The door is really cool. I love the bolts. I agree commercial ones would be too large. They can overwelm everything. This is going to be a great build. I think that this another just outstanding design that Brett did right out of the gate.

Keep up the fantastic work as always. Keep those out of the box ideas coming!

Jim

• Thanks Alan, they look a whole lot better staged in the door opening but illustrates what I'm up to with the doors.

Glad you like em G-Bill...you know how boring it would be to build doors all day long!

Appreciate that Bill. The barn front wall is such a focal point of this build I am spending an appreciable amount of time on the detailing here.

Thanks Carl, close up they have a medieval look to them, which was beginning to annoy me, but not so much at scale and in the door opening, thank goodness...

Hey Jim...wondered where you've been keeping yourself! I'll answer to anything...well, almost anything and the honorary credentials you gave me cracked me up. I thank you for your thoughts on the details. You nailed the issue with the commercial rivet heads, they were all you noticed and were just too big, the rest of the door was lost in the bolt heads! Brett definitely hit a home run here with his first kit that's for sure. Always makes my day to hear from you and get your take on things...thanks Jim.
  • edited January 2017
    I owe those of you, and Brett, who have been following along with my BlueSky build an apology for the retched picture I took of the front wall of the barn. This is such a classic kit and that front wall is so iconic to the BlueSky build that it deserved a much better picture. That image was taken on an old concrete walk and likely gave those studying it a headache from the distracting background. I worked very hard on the wall and dropped the ball with the picture! So...below is a much improved image of the front wall so far...

IMG_0868

Front wall of the converted Shelby's Barn now the BlueSky Warehouse. Much detailing to come with the doors and loft hoist/pulley system.

In working up the walls of the barn, which is stripwood over card stock templates, I made a few additions to allow for some extra detailing. The inside of the barn is designed to not be visible. However, I wanted the illusion that the inside was a real working warehouse. One way I decided to accomplish this was provide the impression to the observer that the floor of both the main warehouse and loft extend into the interior. The manual recommends bracing the walls with 1/4 square wood which was provided in the kit and further illustrates just where and how to lay out the bracing, typical of Brett's comprehensive manual instructions. I proceeded to layout the two horizontal braces in such a way that when stripwood was added on top of the brace wood it was just level with the opening which can bee seen through any open doors. I extended the wood "floor" a little more than 1/4". This will allow the doors to be set in various open positions and it will appear that the floor is complete throughout.

IMG_0872

False floor designed to give the appearance of a fully floored interior when viewed through partially open doors.

• Great idea
  • I agree. Another great idea from Ken. Phil
  • Dr. Grunge,
    Solder wire for bolt heads, floors in place where viewers would not know it if they were missing. If an instructor were giving a test you would score over 100% because you go above and beyond in your work. Keep it up. Its always great to see your creativity.
    Mitch
  • Thanks Carl, always thinking of stuff as any good student of SWSMs would...

Appreciate that Phil, should look nifty with the doors open just a bit.

Thanks Mitch, I can wait to see what grade Brett gives me, he's got a good reputation as a tough but fair professor and I have attended all his Craftsman University courses so hopefully he won't be too hard on me!
  • Just finished up another detail that will be installed on the front wall of the barn. Brett designed the loft to have a hoist and pulley type system to haul material up to and through the loft doors. I decided to scratch build the pulley and hoist system from a picture I found on the web. I liked all the rusted and old metal which gave it a very purposeful but interesting look.

Unknown

Here is the prototype that I referred to to build my version.

P1270018

The pulley is from my junk box, brackets are painted and rusted paper with NBWs. Once installed I'll run a rope or chain through the pulley and tie off at the loft. The beam will run through the wall above the loft doors.
  • Great retro-fit there. Would chain, rope, or perhaps cable (from the rigging shed) be most appropriate? How thick is the paper? Styrene in O scale?
  • Thanks Carl, I'll likely use rope as it will be easier to control and position and I would imagine that would have been the most likely material used in this case. Paper is 65lb.
  • Just when I thought you couldn't amaze me any more, you come up with this. You really do have a command on to scratch build from general materials that you have available. Great job. Phil
  • Thanks Phil. Love the little details.
  • The barn doors have been installed prior to assembling the barn structure which makes it nice to be able to position the doors until the epoxy sets...

IMG_0919

The hole cut in the siding above the loft doors is the access for the pulley/hoist assembly.

IMG_0902

detailed a simple bracket on the inside for those who may take a peek!
  • Right wall of the barn is finished. Previously I had modeled the wall with the back corner rotted with some wood missing representing water damage from water run off from the roof and water tank mounted on the roof. I added a cut out to show the wall framing sill. After completing the siding I went back and put in some horizontal boards on the inside to soften the large hole and give the illusion that the inside is framed and boarded.

IMG_0773

Corner with wood damage and rot.

P1280017

Finished wall with corner rotted area with horizontal boards installed on the "inside".
  • Looks great. Gotta love rot!
  • Well that's nifty.
  • Ken, you never fail to astound. Amazing hoist and beautiful rot.
  • Thanks Carl...I think it looks much better with the interior boards. "Gotta love rot"...
    I must admit, I do love it so..wasn't General Patton quoted as saying something similar about war?

Hey Bryan..appreciate the thumbs up...

Gosh Joel..."beautiful rot"...that's got to be one of the nicest things anyone has said to me...sniff, sniff... Thanks for your thoughts and I highly value your opinion and have always admired your modeling skills so I'm tickled to have you checking in.