visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

BlueSky Company Warehouse HO/HOn3

Comments

• Got more done this evening than I thought...

Here is the second corner of the Barn with the weathered corner area with the framing. Not quite as extensive as the other.

IMG_0774
  • Ken Do you think that the sill plate would be a bit thicker with a building of this size sitting on it, Just a thought.
    Carl
  • The siding is spot on Ken. Te corners are a great spot for mice to enter the warm barn in winter.
  • That siding looks fantastic Ken. I love the faux framing idea very cool detail.
  • Ken, what a great and ingenious idea. I really like it. Thanks for the explanation. After your clinic, I understand your approach. Phil
  • Carl, My sill is a scale 4 inches thick. I believe the thickness of the sill would depend on what the sill sits on. If its a concrete footer or slab 4 inches is more than adequate. If its sitting on individual pillars not so much. I'm no expert that's for sure. I wasn't too concerned about getting that technical with it anyway...the framing boards are only scale 2x4s as I wanted the stripwood the same thickness as the card stock so it can have the wall flat level on my bench for further detailing.

That said, I may put some horizontal wall boards on the inside of the open "holes" after my wall is up so it doesn't have that see through appearance. This is a converted barn so plausible it could have some wall boards up on the inside.

Thanks for the note as it got me thinking harder about foundations and I came up with a possible cool detail I'm going to try at one of the corners later once the diorama base is started.

Hey Wes, glad you like the siding as you have a good eye for detail.

Appreciate that Steve and I was happy how that detail turned out. I need to keep it subtile as it's easy to get carried away. I will also have the scenic work dulling down the starkness of the damaged area (i.e. weeds, rocks, clutter, etc.). Also, I mentioned in my response to Carl, that I may add some interior horizontal boards behind these areas so to alleviate the see through appearance and give the look that the interior has a finished wall up.

Thanks Phil. It does ramp up the detail possibilities for a card stock backed
    board-on-board wall. Have some other nifty little details for these walls yet to come. My approach?....grungy!...of course you knew that.

• Ken,I was thinking that a stone foundation would have been used do to the era of the barn so a eight by eight could have been used. Here in New England we have a lot of old barns with all kinds of sill plates some are massive and some not.Just a thought of what I have seen over the years.
    Carl.
  • Totally agree and appreciate the insight. The era here I'm planning is early 20th century, so maybe 1920s ish.
  • edited January 2017
    Featured here is another nifty little addition I made to the Barn Loft rear wall. I decided to add a eave vent to the back wall. Once I confirmed the vent size I cut out the appropriate opening in the card stock template. I finished boarding over the entire wall covering the cut out section. I then carefully cut the siding boards per the opening. A stripwood frame was made and styrene strips were cut painted and rusted and then glued in at an angle for the vent slats. I then set the finished vent into the opening flush with the siding. Finished off the trim from painted and rusted copy paper and added the faint screw detail consisting of just pressing my pointed awl into the paper just a bit.

IMG_0820

Gives the wall just a little added zip to it but maintains a purposeful appearance.

IMG_0804

shot to illustrate the scale here...
  • Ken that is a great detail keep up the good work.
    Carl
  • Dr. Grunge,
    Nice addition with that vent. Well executed.
    Mitch
  • Ken,
    I have a new appreciation for your work and methods. Right on the heels of your wood clinic, I'm getting new insight along with new ideas. This is what it's all about!
    Thanks!
  • Nice. Bonus points for creativity.
  • edited January 2017
    Thanks Carl...any more thought to joining me in a BlueSky build? As slow as I go you can catch up anytime!

Down with that Ed...thanks for the thoughts and analogy.

Hey Mitch...appreciate that. I think it does add a bit of interest to that wall and works well with the overall theme of the structure.

Bill...how are you my man?...the wood clinic actually got me fired up to get some work done on BlueSky. We have a duty and desire to motivate each other to do our best work and I get that from all you guys...you're exactly right...that's what it's all about.

Thanks Bryan, I was really happy with how it went from an idea to the finished product! I have many more that fizzle once I actually try and execute the idea! I write them off as character builders and examples of what not to do.
  • Ken I am having a very hard time getting motivated about anything. So with that being said I do not think that you will see anything from me.
    Carl
  • Sorry to hear that Carl, but totally understand...and hope you follow along here. My father always use to tell me "you got to keep putting one foot in front of the other"
  • Ken, great innovation. Thanks for the explanation. Phil
  • Glad to hear from you Phil and appreciate the thoughts on the detail.
  • Jeez, what great modeling Ken with such small pieces. Wish I had that ability and dexterity. Enjoying your new build!

Geezerbill
  • Thanks much Bill. I always feel like I do a bunch of details that in the end won't show much but enjoy the work and the many small details add up. Thanks for your thoughts I really appreciate it.
  • Ken, I just thought of a great plan. You are starting to really crank out "best in show" quality kits. I'm working hard to build a killer layout that will feature the best in Sierra West models. Just ship 'em on down to me. I'll put them on the layout and take all the credit. How does that sound???? Phil
  • Yea!...OK...now you know, I can't guarantee they will come through shipping unscathed...you may have to put a few things back together! Wonder if Brett ever did a drop test of any finished SWSMs...you know like they do phones and stuff. You be the first Phil...I think there was a compliment in there somewhere...thanks buddy!
  • Elliot More had a ship it demo when you do not glue everything down Mike Engler and others were up all night to put it all back together at the Expo.
    Carl
  • I heard about that!...would love to see some pictures and a play-by-play on how that went. Takes a good bit of nerve and finger crossing to send something like that in the mail...
  • Making good progress on BlueSky...at least my kind of progress which is slow and steady.

I took a deep breath and applied the Shelby's Boat and Bait signage to the barn front wall. If you're not familiar with the BlueSky history, the old barn was once the main facility for Shelby's Boats and Baits but was subsequently bought by BlueSky to be used as their storage warehouse. So the old Shelby's sign is designed to be well worn and weathered.

The sign was carefully applied then weathered. Can't go too far with the weathering all at once as you can keep weathering, but you can't bring it back if you go too far! I got it about where I wanted and am now finishing up the other walls and working on the barn doors in front.

IMG_0829
  • Oh yeah that's perfect.
  • Thanks my good man!...
  • As Carl said "that's perfect"!!! Exclamations mine!

David U
  • Ken, I' here if you need me!!! Phil
  • That wall looks great Ken. The faded lettering, the wood color everything is perfect.