visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

What size spikes for hand laid track

I would like to ask you Gentlemen that are experienced in hand laying track this question. For something different, on my next kit's diorama, I have decided to hand lay the track. I will be using code 83 ME rail in ON30 scale. I want to use the most prototypical ME spikes that I can. I have two sizes: the ME large are about 1/2" in length and are not acceptable. I also have the ME Micro spikes at about 3/16" long. Those spike heads look, in a vision comparison....for my old eyes, close to those of a ME ON30 code 83 flex track spike head. ME also makes a "medium" spike about 3/8" long. I do not have any of those to use in comparison to the Flex track.

What do you fellows suggest? I appreciate your input!

I also thank Bryan for his input to me on this subject.

Thanks,

Bill

Comments

• Bill,
    I am currently using ME's micro spikes...on Kappler ties. You will need to have a good medium needle nose plier. If you can...magnetize the plier, you will just need to "slide" the spike from the pile before picking up the spike. This has worked for me laying 35' of track along with 9 turnouts so far, and I also have old eyes !
    Hope this helps you,
    Randy
  • Bill,

I use the micro spikes too on my O scale dioramas.

Alan
  • Randy said:

Bill,
    I am currently using ME's micro spikes...on Kappler ties. You will need to have a good medium needle nose plier. If you can...magnetize the plier, you will just need to "slide" the spike from the pile before picking up the spike. This has worked for me laying 35' of track along with 9 turnouts so far, and I also have old eyes !
    Hope this helps you,
    Randy

I used the same on my trestle. And for sure my eyes aren't that young anymore either.
    Just a little patience and they will work.

Jerry

• Randy, Alan, and Jerry. Thanks so much for your responses! That is good news as I have the micro spikes on hand. I will now certainly use them. Thanks again,

Bill
  • I have been using Wathers code 70/83 spikes and cutting the head and length on them. But for On30 I would use Proto:87 scale spikes for as close to scale as you can get. Use some double sided tape before you cut them off their spur. They have a tendency to go flying rather easily (Ask me how I know.). And you'll need to ware your opti-visor. Micro Engineering small spikes is another possibility. I use them when presentation is not so critical.

Leonard