visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Deer Creek Mine/My new Sierra West Layout

Comments

• Very, very nice Phil

Geezerbill
  • Phil,
    You are making good progress. I found that building the layout is a good change of pace from building the structures. It makes a good balance between the small progress of adding nail holes in individual boards compared to adding yards of track. Forge on!
    Mitch
  • Thanks Ken, Gill and Mitch. The dark material is cork as well, which eventually will be covered with dirt and ballast. As for the SWSM dioramas, I plan to build them on a base of at least 1/2" plywood and set them into the layout after cutting away the appropriate plywood on the layout. That way, if I need to recover them, I can without any damage. Once I'm done with the layout, I plan to put in my Woodcutter's Shack, my Water Tank, and the Duluth Plumbing that I had found.

Also, on this layout, I am putting in a lot of Tortoise switch motors. I plan to control them with Berrett Hill touch toggles. These are really cool toggles and you will see that you can easily put them on a panel to control your switches. Stay tuned. Phil
  • I'm back to traveling, but in between trips I made progress on Section 2.

IMG_0323

You are looking at the future site for the Twin Mills Saw Mill. You are also looking at the beginning of the timberline branch that will lead to an elevated timber cutting area. The white things are woodland scenic inclines. I'm going to elevate my track by 1/2" so I can build my kits on 3/4" foam board. If my math is right, that will put the track on the same level as the buildings. That way, I can build a diorama on the foam board and then place it on the layout without making the placement permanent.

I'm also playing around with the placement of kits I've already built. The Woodcutter's Shack will probably be on the way to the timber cutting area. Duluth Plumbing will probably be on a siding coming out of the yard.

IMG_0324
    IMG_0325

This is getting fun and I'm getting a good idea where each kit will go.

Thanks for checking in. Phil
  • Wonderful craftsmanship on the bench and track work Phil. What are you calling your Railroad? You may have said earlier, I'm just too lazy to back and look!
  • Looking good!
    I didn't recall a build thread of the Duluth structure, so I had to go back and find your pictures.
    That's one of those kits sitting on my shelf that keeps calling my name...
    It's got a certain charm to it that is very appealing and your version looks terrific.
  • Thanks Ken and Bill. I haven't decided on a railroad name. Right now I'm leaning towards Leesville Timber Branch. My grandfather worked for the Kansas City Southern in central Louisiana. He lived in Leesville (site of Fort Polk) and I have a lot of great memories there.

Bill, I didn't build Duluth. I found it at a train show (for $80) and that's how I found Sierra West and this forum. I remember looking at Duluth and saying, "How do you build a structure like this and get this great realistic and weathered look?" Then I found Karl's blog about painting and weathering and the rest is history. Phil
  • Another weekend and more progress on Section 2 of my layout. This is a very important section since this is where the world famous Sierra West Twin Mills sawmill will reside. Below is the progression of my progress.

IMG_0327
    IMG_0328
    IMG_0329
    IMG_0330

Before I go to Section 3, I'm going to go ahead and find a place for my Digitrax system and wire up what I already have including the drop down bridge. That way I can run trains while I'm building the other sections. Also, I have installed two program tracks, so I need to install the DPDT switches you need to toggle between the program track and the regular running track. So far I have installed 9 Tortoise slow motion switch motors.

Thanks for following my progress. Phil
  • You do good work Phil. What percent grade do you have there? Twin Mills will look great nestled in there.
  • Ahhhhh, so much potential... Can't wait to see you pull it all together!!!!!
  • Ken, the grade is 3%. However, if you look at the picture, I've leveled it out in the back corner. This is the future site for the Deer Creek Mine. Last night I built a shelf under the layout for my Digitrax system. I'm now in the process of pulling the wire for the main electrical bus. Next will be the installation of the track feeder wires. Phil
  • Phil, your excellent workmanship and planning are very evident in your pictures. You are going to have a wonderful layout. Looking forward to your updates.

Geezerbill
  • Hi Phil,
    This an outstanding layout room and workspace. This is going to be an fantastic layout. Thanks for showing the steps you are doing. I have built about 5 of Brett's kits and am trying to figure out how to integrate them in a plan I had found several years ago.

Jim
  • When I last left you, I had just finished Section 2 of my layout, which will feature the Twin Mills Sawmill. At this point, I decided to go ahead and wire the layout for the Digitrax DCC system so I could run some trains while I'm constructing the rest of the layout. I haven't run my trains in over a year and at least I can have them circle the future site of the Twin Mills Sawmill while I'm working.

The first step was to build a shelf for the digitrax system. Normally, you would want this centralized, but with a smaller layout, I decided to locate it under the yard.

IMG_0332

From there I ran my main bus line throughout the layout with 14 gauge wire. All those holes I drilled as I was putting in the joists came in real handy. Once I finished, I hooked it up to the digitrax and checked the voltage at the end of the bus - 14.8 volts!! I'm ready for the 20 gauge feeder wires.

IMG_0331

When connecting the feeder wires to the main bus, I use suitcase connectors which make it very easy to tie into the main bus. I also got very good at soldering the feeder wire to the rail. I also had to wire up my two program tracks. This is where you can isolate the track so you can program your locomotives. I use a DPDT switch so I can run regular track power and the program wire.

IMG_0333

Now came the fun part. I needed to wire my drop down bridge so that the power would cut off if the bridge is down. This is done with micro switches on both sides of the bridge. Thanks to Model Railroader and David Popp who gave me the plans for the bridge as well as the wiring diagram. It worked like a charm.

IMG_0334
    IMG_0335

I also wanted to try out my new Barrett Hill touch toggles. The touch toggles are connected to a controller which is the center point for the wires coming from the tortoise slow motion switched. They also offer an easy adapter so you don't have to solder wires to the tortoise. It was very easy to install and I had four switches working in no time. I'm very impressed with this product.

IMG_0336

I wired the track around Twin Mills and it was time to test my work. More importantly, would a train go easily over the bridge?
    IMG_0337

As you can see, everything worked!! I lowered the bridge and the power dropped out as expected. Now, it's on to Section 3.

IMG_0338

This area will be very important because this will be the area where a lot of the Sierra West kits will reside. This area will be the town that supports the wood-cutting operations. I don't want it to be flat so I plan to cascade down different levels from the elevated timber line track. What will be difficult is figuring out the spacing of the four different tracks going through. I'm going to have to get into each kit and get the dimensions. I may make paper templates so I can work on the spacing of the kits.

• Great update Phil

Wish Brett had made the Duluth Company in O scale. Such a neat kit that.
  • Phil-
    I saw a video on those touch toggles and they looked really cool. I think Joey Ricard has used them on his module. How do you like them? Was the cost justified?
  • Wes, thanks.

Bill, Joey was the one that turned me on to them. I really like them; they are easy to install; they have great product support; and they will enable me to create a really cool control panel. As for cost, they are more expensive than installing switches and lights, but you will spend a lot more time doing this. It took me less than 15 minutes to install per switch. After using these, I wouldn't use anything else. Phil
  • Wow Phil that's some intense electrical layout work. Great stuff.
  • edited January 2017
    Electrical.... makes my head hurt! Just confuses me!!!!
  • I agree Brett, Excedrin's what I swear by!...but I bet it's fun once the "spaghetti" is all worked out!
  • Guys, it's much easier than it looks and a lot easier than painting detail on castings. However, I do enjoy both. Phil
  • I haven't posted progress in more than 10 days. That's because I have been creating scale templates for all the Sierra West kits I am going to place in the back part of my layout. This is essential before I can lay the track work in this area.

IMG_0340
    IMG_0341

I plan to place the Loco and Service Shops, the Donkey Repair Yard, the Railroad Camp, the Logging Camp Main Street, and the Logging Camp Essential kits in this location. Each diorama calls for the placement of track in a certain location. So I wanted to have a good idea of where to place the tracks to make it all fit together. This was a lot tougher and took a lot longer than I thought, but getting into each kit, it gave me a good idea of what I wanted to achieve with each kit. BTW Mike Engler's layout gave me this idea. Thanks Mike.

Of course, I may move buildings and features around a bit when I actually build the kits, but as long as I have the track work in the right place, it should look believable.

Next step is to mark the track work and start working on the timber line in the very back of the layout, followed by the elevation of the main line. I will not lay the track through the kit area because I plan to hand lay Code 70 track when I build each kit. However, I plan to mark the location of each kit.

• Really smart planning ahead. Way better to re-arrange templates than structures! A great lesson for all of us to learn from... even those of us like me that really like to fly by the seat of our pants!!!!!
  • Thanks Brett. I figured you spent enough time figuring out the optimal layout of each kit. Why reinvent the wheel? Phil
  • Great work Phil and planning's half the fun anyway!
  • Ok guys, I haven't posted in a month, but I've been busy. Let me catch you up on my progress.

When I last left you, I was working out the arrangement of my Sierra West kits in Section 3 of my layout. Once I was satisfied with their placement, I used a Sharpie to mark their location including the track.

IMG_0342

I then continued with the "timber line" and tried to maintain between 2 and 2.5% grade. That's a lot of work getting it as smooth as possible.

IMG_0344

That's when my day job got in the way. One week I was in the Southern Hemisphere in Santiago, Chile and another week I was in the far Northern Hemisphere in Anchorage, Alaska.

IMG_0357
    IMG_0362

However, on my morning walk one day, this turkey told me to get off my a** and get to work on my layout.

IMG_0372

So, back to work I went. First, I completed the back half of the double mainline which I have elevated in the back. Why you ask? Because Logging Camp Essentials has elevated bunk houses and I wanted to make sure they were level with the mainline, which will run behind them. Also, I found a great place for the water stop.

IMG_0377
    IMG_0378

I then got busy putting down cork roadbed, laying track, installing tortoise slow motion switches, powering the switch frogs, and finally hooking up the amazing Barrett Hill toggle switches. Whew!!!!

IMG_0380
    IMG_0381

The satisfying end result was the running of trains over these completed sections. I had a few issues, but nothing major. Now, it's on to the back half of the layout where I will continue the timber line and install a double switch back so my trains go from one main line to the other.

• Your a wizard Phil, great layout work. I can just hear that Loco tooling around that curve. Chile and Alaska...I vote for somewhere in between!
  • That Ed and Ken. Yes, the sound of the trains working around the track certainly gives me inspiration to keep moving. Phil
  • Ed, sell it as your version of a man cave. That way you can keep all your stuff in one place and out of her hair. Jewelry also works for my wife. Phil
  • Oh, BTW - why have a non-running layout. That's no fun. Phil