visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

A Sierra West Watch

This madness took hold. A steam powered watch based on the mill engine kit. Just for show of course, I fleetingly thought of using live steam but would have to sacrifice a lot of detail and gain a lot more weight. It was kind of fun to build although couldn't figure out if I was building a model or a real thing. The other problem was that I am so used to making things look old and rusty, it was a real struggle trying to make something reasonably clean and shiny!

20160727_192519e

Most of the bits came out of the scrap box, boiler was built from styrene as was the overall base. The watch itself is a self winder with visible works that came off Ebay. It is fully decked out with an air pump to pressurize the oil for firing the boiler, generator to power a small lamp - so you can see the time in the dark, and multiple governors to keep good time. The whole thing is fitted to a leather strap.

20160709_130023e
20160727_192939e
It isn't to bad to wear but one would not want to walk into a door frame with it on. Apart from the steam burns it would take many sunrises to repair!

20160709_133938e
20160709_124511e

Jeff

Comments

• Yes, true madness Jeff! You might want to consider going to work for Apple designing the Apple Watch 2...
  • too funny
  • Looks like it fell off the deloriant from back to the future.

Very cool
  • Just curious, this thread does not show the new postings flag when I sign onto my account. I love this watch, you must have one heck of a spare parts box! As for the Apple Watch 2, only if Apple comes up with a self-peeling model...
  • Wes said:

Looks like it fell off the deloriant from back to the future.

YES!!!!
  • Spare parts box is now looking very empty!
  • That is really cool.