visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Congratulations to Ken Karns for winning Best of Show at Expo 2016

Best of Show entry from Ken Karns at Expo 2016.

Congratulations to Ken and Sierra West.

Jaime

Comments

• Well deserved and also a tribute to the quality of Sierra West kits. Phil
  • Congratulations Ken. Such a wonderful diorama. You really took the kit to the next level. Very proud of you!
  • Congratuations Ken !
  • A masterpiece for sure.
  • Excellent work! I hope mine turns out that well!
  • Fantastic. Congratulations and well deserved.
    David U
  • Beautiful, great work !
  • I knew I was following "The Master" building O'Neills. Congrats from downunder
  • Congrats Ken, very well deserved.
  • Congrats Ken....
  • Congratulations Ken, such a well deserved award.
    Outstanding result from an outstanding modeler, well done indeed.

Congratulations to Brett also for taking best of show.... yet again !

Karl.A
  • I finally made it back from Boston. Here is a picture of the victors. For those who don't know everyone. I'm on the left, Bill is in the center, and the champ Ken Karns is on the right.

Phil
  • edited April 2016
    I almost forget, Dustin placed second in the 2" x 2" category and Bill placed second in the 18" x 18" category. Congratulations to all. Phil
  • edited April 2016
    Whew! Made it back from Boston and still reeling from the results! What an honor to be in the company of such great modelers and wonderful people. I am humbled by all the positive comments and the camaraderie demonstrated here on the SWSM forum. I usually address each and every response individually but for now a blanket..."you all are the best and make the hobby so rewarding"...will have to suffice for now! Meeting the forum members, new and old, at the show was a high point for sure. Great company, wonderful conversation, and lasting memories. So many great builds with SierraWest Scale Models generously represented as usual. So proud to be in the company of you guys and a sincere congratulations to Phil, Bill, Paul T. and Dustin for your SWSM awards and to everyone who displayed at the show...great stuff.

Now...a special thank you is in order...Brett, I would like to thank you for your dedication and vision in where you've taken SierraWest Scale Models. To be not only a designer and manufacturer of the finest scale model kits available, but a teacher, resource, and friend is truly a measure of unparalleled success. Congratulations on another outstanding showing for SWSM and I thank you for the motivation and tutelage to take my Loco and Service Shops build to a successful conclusion.

Also a special note to Karl Allison, who I hold in the highest esteem. For your helpful comments and suggestions and for taking me to task when I either did or was about to screw something up on this build. Your encouragement and advise is priceless and you have that uncanny ability to know just what to do. Your work is brilliant and an example of what we all aspire to achieve...thanks buddy.

Thanks to Jaime Zepeda for the wonderful image of the Loco and Service Shops. Superb photography as we have all come to expect!

Note: I will be posting final pictures of the Loco Shop in the near future.
  • Well said and congratulations Ken! The amount of thought and work that went into this model is obvious in the final result. You've got some serious talent and, even though it's cliche, the pictures just don't do it justice. Seeing it up close, you have to remind yourself that it's HO.

Again, congrats!
  • Ken, that is one incredible model, and as you have pointed out your designer and mentors deserve a big share of the credit. Once again SWSM reigns! And hats off to Phil, Bill, and Dustin.

• I couldn't agree more with what Ken says. Thanks Brett and Karl. Phil
  • Awesome job!! No surprise to me. You took this kit to a new level!
    Jim
  • Getting around to some individual Thanks...

Jaime, Phil, John, Bryan AlanH, David, Richard, Michael, Dustin, and Muddy thanks for the kind words and encouragement. It was a great kit to start with. AlanH, can't wait to see what you do with your kit, make sure you post it!

Bill, thanks so much and it was great seeing you at EXPO and congratulations on your award for the Deer Creek Mine, well deserved and great to be able to peruse every nook and cranny.

Well thanks Mike, coming from such a veteran top shelf modeler it means a lot. I followed your every move when you were posting your Loco and Service Shops build some time ago. That one received an award as well if my memory serves me, may be a bit cloudy in your mind as well since there has been so many awards come your way! Thanks again.

Hey Jim, there you are. Pretty cool huh? You are going to have to make an appearance one of these days you know. Either you or your work or preferably both! Thanks for your thoughts and a good photo post(s) will follow soon...Ken
  • Hey Ken,

Well said with your victory speech. Phil, thanks for posting the picture of the 3 of you...I see Bill combed his hair for the photoshoot...

Alan
  • Thanks Alan. Yes, I agree...Phil thanks for posting that picture and we have my wife Cathy to thank for that awe inspiring image. If she only knew what was walking by when she took the shot, I think I'm the only one who noticed! Bill is the humble one, I just put my hat on to cover the glare...
  • Nice picture. Ken be proud of the shine, you earned it. Ok, enough fun and get back to work.
  • No Marty, glare from my shiny bald head...Bill and I both have the same hair stylist.
  • Nice work Ken. Congratulations on taking Best of Show with a magnificent SWSM diorama. David C
  • Thanks David. Nice hearing from you...Ken
  • Catching up - stunning diorama ! Every bit looks spot on!
  • Thanks James, I really enjoyed putting this one together...Ken
  • Hey Ken,
    Congrats and a well deserved award. Just catching up on some forum stuff. Sorry I wasn't there to cheer you on but thank goodness I didn't have to pit my model against yours.
    Nice to have Brett's models as a base to inspire and push you towards greatness.
    Keep up the great work.
  • Thanks Joel and we certainly missed you at the Expo. Hope to see you at the next...
  • Ken , where can I find the model you won with ? Hopefully there's a build thread.