visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Logging & Tractor Repair Shed in O Scale

Comments

• Nice and subtle. Like it's been used but not abused.
  • edited August 2016
    Thanks man. Worked on some details today. For the wet water look, I used AK Interactive's Wet Effects. To write the word WATER, I used a white pen which I got from Michaels...my hand isn't steady enough to write it with a paint brush. I also drilled out the Blacksmith Hearth and installed 2 Orange LEDs. I then hooked them up to a Forge Simulator which causes the lights to slowly get dimmer and then slowly get brighter each on their own to simulate hot coals. Once the coals are glued in place that sit on top of the lights with a glue/water mix, I'll go back and add some black chalk for soot. When its all installed, I'll post a video.

PS - I ordered a new camera this weekend cause I'm tired of the poor picture quality. I feel bad posting these pictures as they don't do justice as to the quality of the results one gets for following Brett's instructions. They simply look awesome in person.

Items

Hearth
  • That hearth is unreal. If it looks that good in a photo it must be awesome in person. Love the "water" on the barrel too.
  • edited August 2016
    Ha, forget waiting until its installed...here is the video. The Heat Shield Brett has you create really emphasizes the flame. To create the heat shield, I cut it out of some scrap chip board. I then painted it with AK Interactives Xtreme Metal Paint - I think it was the Aluminum Shade. This stuff is awesome because it creates a reflective look like real metal. Once it was dry, I scraped some black chalk directly on to it. I then sprayed it with Dull Coat so the chalk would stick. Next, while it was still wet from the dull coat, I scraped some more chalk on to cover any spots that looked bare. You don't want to use a brush here or you'll lose the nice speckled look that you see in the video.

• edited August 2016
    In addition to the Hearth, here are a couple of the castings I finished today. The fantastic details on the castings make them really fun to paint and weather. After I'm done painting them, the instructions call for the castings to be washed down with an Indian Ink solution to bring out the detail...cause I'm trying out all the AK Interactive products, I washed the castings down with their Wood Wash Product. Upon letting the castings dry for a few minutes, I then go back and clean up some of the spots with White Spirits (from AK Interactive) to get the colors to shine thru. You can really see this effect on the Plainer, the handle of the Hammer and the Oil Bottles on the Work Bench Casting. It creates a nice level of color depth. After studying the pictures, I'll end up going back and rewashing the oil bottle that's on top of the Lathe to get that same look as the oil bottles that are on the work bench.

Casting1

Casting2
  • Those are fantastic. For the wood parts, did you start with a chalk base or did you go with AK paints for the entire effect?

How do you think the bottles would look with a light coat of the wet effects painted on to simulate glass?
  • I gave all the castings a prime coat of Black Paint. After that was dry, I sprayed on a light coat of AK Interactive's Wood Base Color Paint. Next I painted all the details various colors. Then the Wood Wash was applied and White Spirits clean up followed up by some light chalk to give it a dusty feel. I will try the Wet Water effects on an oil bottle tonite to see if it looks like glass or it just looks wet. I used gallery glass on a bottle which makes it look shiny but I think I still like the duller look. I'll post those comparisons tonite too.
  • Wonderful work here Alan.
  • edited August 2016
    After working with Brett today, he helped me adjust the bulbs in my work lights to get clearer pictures...thanks Brett. To test the new lights, here is a picture of the Cat. I also touched up the Oil Bottle on the Lathe using the process I described earlier...now I'll have to go back and do the same to the other bottles on this casting. In regards to trying the Wet Effects product to simulate the shine of glass, it actually made them too shiny. As in real life, when you're looking at a bottle in the distance, you cant make out the shine until you get really close...hence it didn't look right to me when modeling it with that glossy appearance.

Tractor1

Bottle1
  • Splendid indeed...Ken
  • Lol...thanks gents.
  • Great work Alan. The coloring and weathering is perfect.
  • Love the weathering and detail work. Just beautiful
  • edited August 2016
    Thanks Steve. Sorry I missed your earlier comment.

Thanks Joel..its been a while since we heard from you. I can't wait to see your next Winter scene! Brett and I were talking about that Scotia Supply build just last week...
  • Alan,
    I keep looking at the CATs and the Tractor. Just awesome. The dirt and wear are just what you expect. I looked at your wall and really noticed the details on each piece of wood as well as all of the wonderful castings you have done. I didn't think this build could be any better than your HO version. I was wrong. This is going to be a masterpiece when you are done. You seem to use some of the military modeling techniques I have read about. Was that your previous life as a modeler?
    Jim
  • edited August 2016
    Lol...thanks Jim. In regards to using the military modeling techniques, this is the first build I decided to use them. I educated myself on the techniques after I bought a bunch of books on the topic from AK Interactive and then read them on the 9 hour plane ride to Ireland and back this summer. The one tip I didn't see in any of the books but one that I found was quite important was when it comes to creating the chipping effect. I found that allowing the paint to dry over night wasn't enough as when I'd go to chip off the paint using water, it would pull off large sections. To get that neater looking chipped or pitted effect, I found the top layer of paint needed to be stronger. To accomplish this...which I listed earlier...is to run the piece under a hot air gun (I think mine lets me go up to 600 degrees) for 20-30 seconds to bake the paint on. You might be able to use a hair dryer to do the same thing...not sure since I doubt it would let you blow 600 degree air on your head.
  • Alan, this is when I get jealous of you "O" modelers. With the extra size, you can really do some amazing things. I also agree with your comments concerning the chipping effect. I typically leave mine for several days. Nice job. Phil
  • Finally got to the part in the instruction book that calls for the walls to be installed. Most of the rock work seen will actually be covered with Dirt and bushes.

That is all...

Walls
  • Applied the dirt, wet it with 70% alcohol and then applied a 50/50 water and Elmer's Glue Mix. Now waiting for everything to dry. In the mean time, finished up the Disconnect that's being redecked.

Tractor - Cat

Handcar
  • Your dirt base looks terrific. Lots of variation in texture and the exposed rock looks just right...
  • Wonderful progress Alan. You are the terrain master and this build is a great example. Stacked rock wall is impressive. Dozer and disconnect detail is splendid...Ken
  • Thanks Ken. Yeah, I'll have to post some more pictures later. It looks totally different now that everything is dry. Lol..I would "try" listening to the Cowboy Junkies CD you referenced...if I owned a CD player...which I don't, so I'll have to take your word for it that its good stuff...
  • Used Brass Etched Barbwire from Eduard...it was perfect for that tangled look I was going for... still need to add some more details along with the grass, weeds, etc to this scene.

Barbed Wire
  • Oh now that's nice! Very cool scene Alan, love the barbed wire look...Ken
  • Thx Kenny. Yeah, if you ever do Barb Wire again, you should look at this brand as I think they have an HO scale version too...
  • That's a mighty fine scene shaping up there. Love the fence, perfect barrier - helps define the tractor area without obstructing the view. Subtle coloration but not dull...
  • Looks great Alan. The canvas tarp and barbed wire fence look perfect.
  • Alan, Once again, really well done. That dilapidated old fence really works well as Brett pointed out.

You expect us to believe you actually use that exercise equipment? No HO barbed wire...another reason to dip into O Scale...said it before you and Brett did!
  • Alan that tarp is just awesome. Look forward to the greenery completing the scene.
  • Lol...funny story. Thanks for the nice compliments...