visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

HO Scale O'Neills Fabrication Official Forum Build

Comments

• Phil that's the beauty of this hobby and Brett's wonderful line of premium kits, you can build to suit your interest and focus. I started out building my first SWSM kit to populate a future layout and found that I enjoyed building the dioramas so much that the idea of a layout has been shelved for the time being. Your focus of building SierraWest kits for your layout is terrific and I can't wait to see it come along. You'll have just as much fun seeing a shay steam by your SWSM Water Tank and Storage Shed as I will by detailing the scrapping scene for O'Neills!...same thrill just different focus and that's the way it should be.

Ed your so right and articulate the concept quite well.
  • Well said. Phil
  • It has been awhile since posting an update. Coming down the home stretch and finishing up O'Neills. The scrapping scene is done and working on detailing a tree and other various scenic work. Front loading dock is the final area to complete. Will be posting final pics soon. Here is a pic looking towards the covered loading dock from the scrap yard. Note the shadows of lurking details above the loading dock.

IMG_0247
  • Looking forward to more pictures. Still looks like the real thing which is what we are all after.

Mitch
  • Lookin good Kenny!
  • Right Mitch, this was a mere "place holder" so you would know I'm working. The scrap scene is complete and I'm moving around to the main loading dock and that should wrap things up. The first tree I "built" I decided not to use, the second one is much better and will be planted in place in the next few days. It really balances out the diorama.

Well hey Ed, I assume that's a good thing.

Appreciate that Alan, you've been quiet of late...busy with your build I trust.
  • edited December 2016
    We want more pics!!! Get busy there man.... Take a week off work and get it done bro!!!!
  • Oh geesh...peer pressure...never been good with that! I know, I'm really excited about how the final stages of O'Neills is turning out, things are "gelling" nicely. The more I do the more I just love this kit...like Mike Engler mentioned, has to be one of the best SWSM kits ever. Not in size or complexity, but in character and appeal. If you haven't secured this kit in HO/HOn3 or O Scale...there's no hope for ya! as this is a must have, believe me.

More to come very soon...Ken
  • Ken keep up the wonderful work very well done.
    Carl
  • Looks excellent Ken. All the mini scenes and details really look great.
  • I have never been able to model at a pace other than, what I perceive to be, rather snail like! Should be in a position to post final pictures of O'Neills late this weekend. Got my tree issue sorted out so on to more details and scenic work.

Thanks for that Steve...wrapping up as above.
  • Ken
    Take your time there is nothing worse than having to do it over,you are working at the pace that feels right.
    Carl
  • Thanks Carl, Brett said the same thing...I'll say it before either of you...great minds think alike!
  • He's subtle right...still holding out some hope he may bend under the peer pressure and show up! I totally get it though it's a long way for him. Look forward to it Ed.
  • Ken it sounds like you are about to make the big reveal. I have been looking forward to this.
    Drum roll please.......
  • Reviewing the first round of pictures right now...we'll see...
  • edited December 2016
    O'Neills Fabrication (HO/HOn3) Official Forum Build is now complete. It has been an enjoyable journey building this amazing kit. Such a marvel in design and character, it oozes that early 20th century charm and appeal. Easily one of Brett's finest kits and illustrates how SWSM stays on the cutting edge of fine scale modeling. I thank Brett for allowing me the opportunity to showcase O'Neills and impart my own personal touches. We spoke often regarding the build, Brett always there for support and his all important "critical eye". I also thank all the loyal forum members, many my good friends, for your comments and critique. Without this forum our modeling would be a very solitary endeavor, not nearly as enjoyable as being able to share our efforts together. Thanks.

This initial round of pictures will be of O'Neills in a general sense as I take you from the front...well maybe the back..I don't know, every side of O'Neills is awesome so I'll just start and move around the diorama. Following this initial set of images, I will then start posting some detailed shots with explanation of key features. I hope the number of images doesn't get redundant and if so just fast forward!

IMG_0332

IMG_0333

IMG_0290

This image and a few others was taken prior to "planting the tree" to allow improved image access to the addition side of O'Neills.

IMG_0307

IMG_0320

IMG_0361

IMG_0373

IMG_0380

IMG_0365

IMG_0384

IMG_0385
  • Wasn't too keen on the first image showing the Welding Shop side of O'Neills...here's a bit better one for now...

IMG_0327
  • Wonderful Congratulations Ken. Photographing with a bush background was also an excellent idea. Trees are always a problem for me but someone locally was using coral as the basis as no suitable plants. What are yours based on please?
    Are you considering any vehicles or dare I say LPs? I guess its a weekend and no activity but maybe parked vehicle!
    I have learnt so much and new techniques from your build, pictures and explanations. Thank you for sharing and making me aspire to new modelling heights.
    Michael Downunder with a long way to go yet.
  • Love it! Congratulations on a job well done/
  • Simply amazing. Nice work Dude. My favorite picture is Pic #4.

Thanks for sharing!
    Alan
  • Ummm, Wow! Some of your best work Ken. Thanks for all the time you put in on the thread and the build to share it with us. Every detail just fits.
  • Just plain wonderful ken. You are a true inspiration.

How did you make the tree?
  • Splendid work Ken
  • Outstanding. I love the scenery you added to your dio. It provides such a wonderful contrast to the old grungy wood!
  • Ken
    Top shelf no other way to describe your work, I have seen many works of art in the hobby and you my friend are right at the top.
    Carl
  • Looks fantastic Ken. What did you use for bushes/grass?
  • Wow, wow & more wow!!! Ken, what incredible work!! I will have to study these pictures for quite some time. I love your tree - it really adds to the diorama. Thank you for agreeing to do this kit for the forum. Brett picked the right person. Also, congratulations on the finish. Phil
  • Hey Ken,

FANTASTIC !!!! I have been mulling over the pictures and studying all the detail and hard work. The mini scenes like the burn barrel are extremely well done and hold up for telling a story about Oneill's. Everything, scenery, scenes, castings, and the building really blend so well together. I love the tree and again the scenery complements everything you have done. I can't agree more with Phil. Just the right guy for the build at hand. You are an excellent teacher and give everything the right well used look! Great job!

I still want to see that very first build you did finished if you haven't done that already.

I bet you like the rest of us can't wait to see the next kit in the series.

Keep up the fantastic work and congratulations for a job well done.

Jim
  • Well Brett, things came together well and I'm still so honored that you entrusted me with the official forum build of O'Neills. I was told by one of the judges at the EXPO that my Loco and Service shops build lacked greenery color. I agreed and despite trying to get more of that going with O'Neills I came up short again I fear. However, this has become my style of modeling I guess but I hope the scenic work worked...thanks for your support and kind words.

Michael, you better get busy! Thanks for your thoughts and support over the course of this project. I took the shots with two different backgrounds as I stared with the pine and felt a bit distracting so I moved to the grass and weedy area which I like better. Almost dumped the hole thing over as it was wetter there than I thought! I do plan to add a vehicle and possibly a service pole and wires for Altoona. These items would just have delayed the finishing of the forum build and would have been outside the scope of that venue. Brett has mentioned before how vehicles help date a diorama and I agree and it adds the illusion of activity. Still have not convinced myself to try the LPs (little people) but suppose I should give it a whirl. Thanks again and I'll address the tree in my response to Wes as I'm getting windy here...

Bryan, thanks much and nice hearing from you.

Alan, appreciate that and need to see some progress from your build soon.

Ed, el-done-o and feels good to wrap this one up. Thanks for your encouragement along the way. Might look good to have a pice of rolling stock on the track but a Loco...ehh not sure might overpower things...

Dustin, calling you "plastic man" from now on! Thanks buddy, appreciate your thoughts.

Wes, thanks for the thumbs up from way over there... The tree...wanted to build a tree to balance out the Tower. My feeling is most trees look mediocre at best (Alan makes great trees by thew way), so I was only going to "plant one" if I felt it contributed to the build. As I mentioned earlier I spent a weeks vacation in Arizona and in the desert SE of Tucson I cut some tree armatures from two different bushes. One I believe is Sage Brush and the other I'm not sure. I used the "I not sure" armature first and didn't like the results. The armature on my tree that I "planted" on O'Neills is Sage Brush. Actually I used two, one large one and a smaller one to form two trunks a main and a smaller secondary one. I then used SuperTees from Scenic Express to make the leafed branches by spray painting brown, gluing each branch to the armature, then flocking with Noch leaves after spraying with hair spray. I believe it made a big difference in the overall look of that side of the diorama.

Carl, very humbling indeed Carl, and I am thrilled to be mentioned in the company of top shelf modelers out there. I do "get into" my builds and attempt to make every piece count. I thank you for the support and look forward to talking shop with you soon.

Steve, thank you sir. Appreciate that. Bushes are done just like I described for the tree branches above and I then just "plant" the branch and it works as a bush. Grass is fine ground foam in dull colors. As I mentioned I may need to get more GREEN going!

Phil, very nice thing to say and I trust Brett is happy enough with things! Thanks for the thoughts on the tree. It really did turn out better than I had envisioned and I'm glad for that.

Jim, as soon as I think you've faded a bit you come through with such a wonderfully kind post and I really do appreciate it. You mention the mini scenes. I think that comment is a key to working up a good build. I first envision the whole thing with respect to end result based on time period and industry. I then plan the mini scenes and detail them before moving to the next...then stepping back and make sure they blend well together. Love this stuff...
    I finished the construction of my very first SWSM build, the Tool Shed, but did not set it in a diorama. You're right , I should get that done... I'm chomping at the bit to get my hands on the next kit in the series...great stuff. Thanks again Jim.