visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

HO Scale O'Neills Fabrication Official Forum Build

Comments

• Looks great Kenny. Besides the bucket, did you add any of those other castings or did they all come with the kit?

Alan
  • Everything you see save for the bucket and rag! came with the O'Neills Kit. Brett has a plethora of fine resin and metal castings with O'Neills and I haven't even detailed the front loading dock or the scraping scene yet! Oh...that's my own grunge however....Ken
  • I think you need to give us a hands on clinic to us on detailing casting at the NG in 2017.
  • Looking forward to your scrapyard pictures. The layers of dust that appear on the details next to the welding shack are very realistic and help blend everything together. I am wondering how you are going to finish those scrap boilers.
  • Jerry, I have to get myself to the 2017 NGC before I do anything, so I'm working on that.

Ed, Thanks for the thoughts and Bill is an old hand at convention clinics...he really knows his stuff. You crack me up Ed...good stuff!

Thanks Mitch and I have started thinking about the scraping scene now that I have finished the area around the Welding Shop. Will be starting that soon so I'll keep you posted on my progress.

• I agree, that kind of work definitely needs you on the other side of the clinic desks.
  • Hey Dustin, nice thought and I'd enjoy getting together at the NG convention and have a SWSM Dr. Grunge detailing session!

Ed, geesh...rap! That's just not right. Maybe some CCR. Thanks my man.
  • Ok Im going to lay a formal complaint with Brett that Ken is really starting to slack. What are you up to on that side of the Atlantic Ocean buddy? Weather here in Cape Town is crappy and I need an update to brighten up my day.
  • Guilty as charged Wes. I'm actually on vacation in Arizona. I'll be making up for lost time for sure. The scraping yard is next up followed by the front loading dock and that will wrap up the remaing main scene areas.
  • Ken ill take that as avalid excuse bud. Hope you having a blast. Do you fish at all?
  • Ken that is some of the best work that I ever laid my eyes on and thanks for the tip's
    Carl
  • Awfully nice of you Carl, and as I said before a critique from you means so much and I really appreciate it...Ken
  • Sorry for the lack of activity on O'Neills, I have been on a vacation in AZ. Will be getting back to work this week. Picked up a nice tree armature out in the desert to use on the diorama. More on that later...Ken
  • Ken, your fine work reminds me of Mic Greenberg from back in the 70's.

His work in the Gazette really inspired me to the possibilities of fine modeling, especially capturing the details that are so important.
  • Appreciate the thought George. I'm not familiar with Mic Greenberg's work but have a complete set of Gazzettes that i have yet to peruse so that may bring me up to speed. Thanks again...Ken
  • Greenberg and Nash - massive influence on my early modeling... Ken, you will find out real soon what a massive compliment George paid you!
  • I'll certainly take your word for it Brett and illustrates my relatively short time in the company of you seasoned veterans of the hobby. I'm honored to be placed anywhere near that kind of company! Thanks so much George you made my day!
  • Ken, it may please you to know that - they along with Bob Brown, editor of the Gazette were real advocates of what Bob calls "clutter", to make models look less static.
  • edited November 2016
    I love that word..."clutter"...almost as much as "grungy"...both favorite modeling styles I have come to enjoy. I have not come around to using LPs in my builds. However, they do add that appearance of activity and busyness, and alleviates much of that static appearance you mentioned. Mike Engler utilizes them to good effect.
  • LP? For those of us that only remember Long Playing (records)
  • LPs...or..."little people". Sorry...
  • Well thanks so much Ed...sniff, sniff, that means a lot and your camaraderie here on the forum has been terrific, thanks again...Ken
  • As a novice, what you to know that your tutorials are a great inspiration for us nubies to learn as we go. Am also working on O'Neills Fab and up to the point of building the drive thru timber structure.Your efforts have created inspiration to improve and be more creative as one progresses with this highly detailed model. Am taking your and others advise to progress slowly and think things thru before proceeding.
  • Glad to hear that and nothing is more enjoyable than being able to provide inspiration and a bit of enthusiasm, which is a big part of modeling, for fellow modelers such as yourself. I am in a constant learning mode and methodically have my "ear to the rail" for new ideas.

You bring up a great point and one I prescribe to almost to a fault...and that is progress slowly and think through every phase of the build. I envision the various scenes and how they relate to the overall character of the diorama. I then assemble the detail parts as a "dry run" and stage them in the scene before any prep work. I even take a picture of the assembled scene prior to detailing all the castings so I can re-assemble the scene accurately. I make notes of what needs to be added; scraps of paper, pipe, chain, boards, etc.. To me this is a very enjoyable part of modeling...the planning, thinking and looking. I walk into my shop and look at the diorama taking shape from every angle, I carry it into my office and set it on my desk, put me feet up, have a cup of coffee and look at it some more...always thinking about the next detail. I scour the SWSM web-site and study Brett's wonderful pilot model images and descriptions, I study all of my fellow SWSM modeler builds very carefully, and then there's the MANUAL that comes with the kit...how I enjoy and pour over that darn thing is something to behold! So you see how the enthusiasm gets rolling?...and it carries over to improve the quality and creativity of the modeler. Thanks much for your insight and motivation for me as well...Ken
  • Too heavy for most I guess....hmm
  • Dr. Grunge,
    Nothing wrong with describing your creative process. It works for you and I must say the results of that process makes your builds exceptional. I showed some guests in my home my O'Neills build and pointed out the tubes in my boilers. Then I brought up this forum and showed them the tubes in your boilers were open. Most people would not pick up on this small detail but we do. It's all part of imagining what is possible and then making it happen.
    I also find many people think we're a little weird working on these things but they will never understand us.

Mitch
  • Very well put Mitch...and doesn't everyone do it like I described ??...in fact I'm sitting at my desk right now with O'Neills beside me while I'm working on my iMac. The scrapping scene is gelling well and I will have that done in a day or so.

Thanks Ed...I have seen that magazine and think I have several issues...high quality modeling for sure.
  • MitchN said:

Dr. Grunge,
    Nothing wrong with describing your creative process. It works for you and I must say the results of that process makes your builds exceptional. I showed some guests in my home my O'Neills build and pointed out the tubes in my boilers. Then I brought up this forum and showed them the tubes in your boilers were open. Most people would not pick up on this small detail but we do. It's all part of imagining what is possible and then making it happen.
    I also find many people think we're a little weird working on these things but they will never understand us.

Mitch

Mitch I tend to think they are weird that they dont work on these things. HAHA
  • Ken, I truly appreciate the time and process you go through to get the most out of a scene. I believe this is the essence of building a diorama worthy of being named "best in show" at any competition. However, I'm building a layout and I don't know if I want to spend the time to get everything "perfect." I want the "look" but I don't know if I have the time to painstakingly work through every detail. That's my current dilemma. Phil
  • Ed, you make perfect sense and thank you for reminding me of the ultimate goal - having fun. At the end of the day, I really enjoy what Ken and others do because it opens up for me the possibilities. Let's just call it a craftsman kit cafeteria plan. Believe me - I wouldn't have achieved what I have had I not found this site. I'm about to do an update on my layout progress - stay tuned. Phil