visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Information on Paint *** NOW AVAILABLE ***

I have been working with Reaper Miniatures on a custom line of High Density Pigment water-based latex paint, specifically for the craftsman kit industry. Partly based upon the Reaper Line, Polly Scale Colors, and my own wishes. This will be a 36 color line including five of the incredible Reaper Metallic colors. Packaged in a great case at a special price. I am looking for some input from you guys! I have no desire to simply release a bunch of copycat colors based upon Polly Scale names and colors. However, there are several of these ancient colors that I do feel are important to have included in the line. I would love to see a list of your SIX most desired polly scale colors specifically for craftsman kit building. Reaper has an extensive line to pull from and is very willing to match any color in existence for us. I am looking to have the set available in 30 days. Thanks for your help! More information will follow...

Comments

• Brett, I'm looking forward to the list suggested by the others. In addition to metallic colors, I will be looking for a burnt umber, a burnt sienna, a sand color, and a variety of browns, but I don't know their polly scale equivalent.

I think it's great that you are building this custom line. I was just painting castings this last weekend and I did notice that the Vallejo paint dried up quicker than the Reaper paint and it formed a plastic-like film. Phil
  • That's why I have pursued this with Reaper. If the vallejo line worked to my satisfaction I would just use those but as I have stated, vallejo makes a wonderful product, just not for my techniques. The Reaper line is very well suited to what we do after the paint is applied.
  • Brett...I think that it would probably be good for you to key on the colors that YOU know would work with your kits. I have always found your tutorials more than helpful, and have guided me in working with your castings. Even for those that have their own styles, you have spent countless hours in developing the techniques to get the finishes that you do. Different shades of the umbers and siennas, greys, are what I would like to see....Thanks for taking on this important project!
  • Cool. Is it possible to have too many paints...I don't think so.

I always liked "aged concrete"
  • Aged concrete is a good one too....
  • edited January 2016
    Makes me wish I'd not already purchased 9 of the Reaper metallics! Any thought to picking colors that would work well with the more popular chalks/pastels? Maybe just a bit different so they would complement each other? Not sure how awkward that would prove to be when selecting what to include.

Rust and other colors associated with deterioration (moss, oil stains, grease, etc.)?
  • I love the gold Ochre, olive greens, blacken red (maroon), deepish blues and off whites.
  • Rail brown is my favorite dark rust color. Dry brushing aged white is useful to weather signs and that color also helped me finish the ship in the shipyard kit. An industrial green for machinery, although I cannot give a specific color (depot green?). I agree, aged concrete is a useful color.

Mitch
  • Oily Black!!
  • Aside from the various earth tones and grays that others have mentioned, was well as the others (everything mentioned above is good) I'd like to see a good yellow to portray zinc chromate primer. I'm looking forward to your list, as I started to go through the Reaper colors and had racked up over $75.00 worth of stuff before I decided to wait for your promised forthcoming information.
  • Brett, have you tried the Power Pallette app on the Reaper site? This where you take an image and upload it and it will help you id the specfic colors in your model. When I did many of the greys and skin tones appeared. Would be interesting to take a casting you have painted and see which ones it selects.
  • Can't wait for this to be available. A nice weathered steel would be nice.
  • If limited to six, I would recommend: Roof Brown, Rust, Boxcar or Tuscan Red, Depot or Pullman Green, Reefer Grey, Reefer White. The above mentioned colors are also good choices. If I could go beyond six I would add Foundation or Concrete. This is a great idea!
  • Off whites are among the most difficult, a dirty or aging white and old concrete that's not too yellow. Also your frequently mentioned "Empire Green" the likes of which I do not have in my fairly wide arsenal of paints.
  • edited February 2016
    I am not as discriminating as I should be when it comes to acrylics. I have over 400 little bottles (I inherited tons from Elliott), from PS, Vallejo, Reaper, AK, to the cheapest craft paints, and even a few custom mixes from Sherwin-Williams. If they produce sheens, films, or glosses I cover them up with Rembrandt pastels, alcohol-India ink, etc. I know most of the tricks for extending their shelf life so I am not likely to run out any time soon.

All of the Reaper I have are metallics and I love working with them. If I had to live with just six of theirs I would choose these, figuring I could come up with just about anything else from the Dick Blick, Michaels' offerings:

Aged Concrete (without the Floquil yellow- aged concrete to me looks more gray or tan),Boxcar Red, Grimy Black, Rail Brown, Roof Brown, and Rust.

I make all my darker rust colors combining Rust with Roof Brown in various proportions. Earth would have made the list but there are so many alternatives available.

This is a great project and if I could buy stock in SWSM and Reaper I would be all in. The modeling market doesn't have many "can't miss" voids to fill, but this is one of them.

• I sure hope you can get them to do this Brett. It would be a God send for sure. Especially the whites and concrete colors.

Jerry
  • Thanks for all the great input, I really appreciate it. Working with Reaper has been very cool. Think of a miniaturized paint department at home depot on steroids. I bring them samples of colors I want in the line and they produce a bottle of reaper paint. Pretty darn cool. I guess its a live version of the power pallette app you mention Marty. The process is moving very slowly since it is their trade show season.
  • Brett, do you know if the Reaper paints dissolve in alcohol?

IE: the Vallejo Model color after it has been applied and left to dry for a while will run/slide/melt when IA is applied. You can apply IA very lightly, but only once and it has to evaporate before you apply it again. Are Reaper paints the same?
  • Hey Brett,

I was going to make a suggestion about the paint. I have a few paints made by Ammo Mig-Jiminez. There is a stainless steel ball in the paint for mixing. This really helps to mix the pigments which would be really helpful with the Vallejo paints and Reaper paints I own. As far as some paints I wish I had in non latex would be Boxcar Red, Old and New Concrete, Grimy Black, Light and Dark Rust, Roof Brown and Empire Green.

Jim
  • Brett, any news on the paint set? I'm going to need to order my paints soon. If you're within a couple of weeks of having sets available, I'll wait.
  • I'm waiting on reaper to get the new paints through production and they tell me march 10 they will be ready...
  • Just Google "stainless paint mixing balls" and you will find them sold in various places packaged in small bags for just a few bucks. They come in different sizes; I got a bag of 100 3/16" for about $5.
  • From what understand the Reaper paints have a pewter skull as the mixing ball.
  • From what understand the Reaper paints have a pewter skull as the mixing ball.
    uhmmm.... no, not really Marty.
  • Apparently at one time they did but no longer. If you go to their website they have a Craft Corner/Painting Tips & Advice forum section with comments about this scattered about. I bring this back up only because there are also comments about not using stainless steel as an agitator; some claim it can corrode enough over time to affect some paints. There are also suggestions that hematite beads from a craft store or split lead fishing weights can be used. Some said that the Reaper dropper bottles may come with glass beads included (don't know since I haven't used Reaper paints yet).
  • edited February 2016
    No beads or balls, no skulls... nothing in the bottle but paint. Wonderful paint, colorful paint - non-toxic and water based paint. Just paint.
  • Sounds like its just paint to me!! Thanks for the update Brett. I'll be looking forward to them.

Jerry
  • Can I get a set with O scale beer bottles in it please?
  • Can I get a set with O scale beer bottles in it please?
    I will certainly pass your reasonable request onto reaper...

• Are you going to accept pre-orders (assuming a price has been set)?